Author Topic: Whirlpool Dishwasher Door Leak  (Read 888 times)

Offline yogifredbrown

• VIP Member
Whirlpool Dishwasher Door Leak
« on: July 30, 2013, 05:47:14 PM »
My approx. 10-12 yr old Whirlpool DU8500XX started leaking massively from front door. After much head-scratching...(drain not clogged, door gasket OK...) I noticed the plastic air vent at top left, inside of door seemed to have a little crud visible through the vent slots.

Popping the plastic out, with a knife blade, as there are no external tabs to facilitate removal, I found something like a grease trap, which was blocked with crud. Removed crud, problem solved...I guess for another 10-12 years at the rate we use the machine. Your mileage may vary.

Note: This plastic door had no message on it "Clean this trap at regular intervals." And was not obviously a maint. point.
I told a friend about this and he said it's the manufacturers means of causing the unit to fail after you've had it "long enough".  Most people will say: "Well I guess it's time for a new one." Darn few will figure out the trick. Most people will buy a new one.

Thanks, Whirlpool! I wonder if other manufacturers have similar features?

Offline ZingZing

• VIP Member
Re: Whirlpool Dishwasher Door Leak
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 11:11:12 AM »
I registered for this board in order to post a thank you for the above.
Our Whirlpool dishwasher recently started spewing water onto our kitchen floor and I could not figure out what was causing this leak. The problem turned out to be exactly what yogifredbrown says: a small plastic vent cover-type thing on the inside of the dishwasher door was clogged with ten years worth of crud. Apparently, this blocked the flow of air into the main compartment of the dishwasher, forcing water out through the bottom of the door when it began to fill.
Note that there was no way to tell that this vent was clogged without removing the grill/vent cover. To the naked eye, it looked just fine! Only after taking the vent cover off can you see the gobs and gobs of crud that are blocking the flow of air.
The plastic grill/vent cover does not in any way indicate that it should be popped off and cleaned periodically. It's relatively easy to pop off, but you do have to force it a bit.
If I had not found this board, my next step was to dismantle the spray arm, etc. It likely would have resulted in hours of labor and frustration and I probably would have had to call in a repairman in the end.
Thank you, yogifredbrown and thank you appliancejunk!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 11:23:22 AM by ZingZing »

Whirlpool Dishwasher Model GU940SCGB3 Door Leak

Started by JimKaran

Replies: 10
Views: 11299
Last post September 13, 2007, 11:39:39 AM
by AJ
Video: Whirlpool Dishwasher Door Leak - How to replace pump seal.

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 6320
Last post September 13, 2007, 06:45:17 PM
by AJ
Whirlpool dishwasher runs great, but door leaks like crazy

Started by Aaronbond1973

Replies: 38
Views: 35971
Last post August 04, 2013, 12:11:43 PM
by yogifredbrown
Dishwasher door leak