Author Topic: Remember these  (Read 1540 times)

Offline RAH52

• Technician
Remember these
« on: July 29, 2013, 06:12:22 PM »
Any of you "old" maytag guys remember these.Doing red carpet service was very prestious back in the day .I seem to recall being able to add a premium to the warranty rate .Lots of rules to follow but we got better training out of it .This was before  cell phones ,internet computers etc etc .Some days I miss the old times ,but if you always look to the past the future will pass you by .

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: Remember these
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 07:35:48 PM »
Boy do I miss those. I tried to get some "missed you" tags like those made up and no one will do it. Also a "technician working inside" for apartments so you don't get shot by a tenant.

Offline RAH52

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 07:56:28 PM »
Luckily I live and work in a rural area ,the largest town being about 60,000 people .The crime rate is pretty low .Not to say there aren,t some bad a$$es around .I've often wondered how calls are handled in the seedy neighbourhoods of large cities .Do techs go out together or do you just refuse the call and don't go .Glad I don't have to deal with those kind of issues .

Offline Bailey

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 09:03:53 PM »
My first toolbox as a professional was a white Red Carpet Service one. I still use my squirt bottle of cleaner with the logo on it.

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 09:44:18 PM »
I still use my Red Carpet Pad for my call book so I don't scratch the counter tops or machines. Still have a couple of shirts as well. Great while it lasted!

Online LowSL2

• Technician
  • Fletch F. Fletch
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 11:16:14 PM »
I've often wondered how calls are handled in the seedy neighbourhoods of large cities .Do techs go out together or do you just refuse the call and don't go .Glad I don't have to deal with those kind of issues .

I usually refuse to go. There are some areas of Oakland that are really bad. I'll call routing and tell them to take the call off. If they don't, I reschedule it and move on. I don't get paid enough to get shot at.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

LowSL2
15 Years of Professional Appliance Repair Experience

Offline wildimaginations

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 08:19:32 AM »
When I used to work for Sears, I would go anywhere they send me.  The worser the neighborhood,  the more interesting.  I never worried about getting attacked.  Just more worried about the van getting stolen or robbed.  I would still go out to those interesting places but try to do them in the mornings while most of the bad people are still sleeping from late muggings and robberies.  But since I'm so expensive to hire, I mostly stay put in my area of high income customers.
Appliance Service Technician
Authorized servicer on LG appliances.
About 45 mins east of San Francisco

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 08:44:09 AM »
My meaning was to be shot by a tenant thinking they were being robbed.

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2013, 08:29:00 AM »
When i work for G.E in miami.fla.They were radio dispatch and if you went to a area that was bad you would just call them up on the radio and say bad area i am not going in there and there would be no problem.They would just give you another call.Some of those areas were very bad.There were trucks broken into and everything gone in 5 minutes with the truck lock.

Offline andersenappliance

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2013, 01:31:18 PM »
That's pretty bad.  One of the reasons I'm not working big city.  Always lock my truck, too.  When I get some money, I'm either gonna re-insure it to the hilt, or go get some customer lock work done - solenoids, alarm that beeps to my phone, etc.  Depends upon what is cheaper/better.

I think that crime will get worse.

I'm not sure if I like the "I missed you." tag.  Or, if I had one made, it might say something like:

"I'm sorry we missed you, you inconsiderate lowlife.  WTF!  You still owe me my service call, 'cause I was here.  You'll hear from a collection agency if you don't pay.  If you'd like to reschedule, pay my service call, then we'll talk about it."

How would that work out?  ;D

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2013, 07:46:13 PM »
99.9% of not home are TENNANTS! They don't care to be home but demand service immediately!

Offline andersenappliance

• Technician
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2013, 10:26:49 AM »
What about permission to enter?  I've always arranged for the apartment management to open up for me.  It is better if they're not home.  No kids, no looking over your shoulder, much less hassle.

Offline Wedgeman55

• Technician
  • Man vs Appliance - Never give up, Never surrender
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2013, 04:21:46 AM »
First off,  I used to go to some bad ass neiborhoods when I worked in commercial laundry.   I always carried 2 guns on me.   Just in case.   Best time was early morning to do those calls,  as late in the day all the bad guys were out and about.    Got a knife pulled on me once,  and when I pulled back my vest showing my 357 in a shoulder holster,  He left.   But now,  I do not go into bad neighborhoods.   Any calls I get there,  I can refer to someone I know who services that area.   

And Old stove,  I agree.   Tennants are the worst.   I have one now calling me twice a day to see if the timer came in for a commercial washer in her apartment building.    It is sitting at parts place,  but I had other jobs to do first.   So.................. I was gonna go there in morning,  but she pissed me off with her last call.   Told me I should check another parts place,  maybe they would be quicker.    Now..............She waits till next week.    Owner is fine,  he has no problem a few days wait. 

I never did red carpet service,   but we were a commercial maytag dealer.   Those were great machines and Maytag was a good company back then.  Maytag had one of the first "electronic card" machines.    Anyone remember those?  Looked like little circuit boards,  and when customer slid them in the slot,  they would burn while completing the circuit to start machine.    I worked on a lot of those. 
Commercial Laundry repair Tech and Installer  1973 to 1980
Service Manager / Technician Commercial Laundry repair company 1980 to 2002
Refrigeration - HVAC - Boiler School 1974-1976
Electronic School 1978-1979
Self Employed Appliance Repair Company 2002 to present