Author Topic: Samsung Washer Drain hose gunked up  (Read 906 times)

Offline flynnibus

• VIP Member
Samsung Washer Drain hose gunked up
« on: July 27, 2013, 08:09:06 PM »
So I have a front loading Samsung WF218ANW washer.. and it was stinking up the place during usage.  We cleaned out the drain at the front of the machine, but still had a ton of stink.  I pulled out the drain hose from the drain in the wall, it and it has serious amounts of sludge in it.

I figured I'll try to clean the drain in the wall some (I assume there is a trap down in the wall.. in the basement I can't see a trap, just a 90 as it heads to the main drain) with a snake/brush.  But the drain hose itself has a ton of gunk in it.   The hose runs just from the back of the machine to the drain on the wall to the right of the machine.. almost at the level of the top of the machine.

My question is.. is it difficult to try to clean out the drain line and the line from the pump in the machine?  If I remove the back panel, is this all pretty straight forward to get the drain hose off so it can be purged?  I don't have a service manual for this.. a link on the forum here lead to another model, but it didn't say much about the drain side except how to remove the pump.

Any guidance is appreciated!

Thx
« Last Edit: July 27, 2013, 08:09:24 PM by flynnibus »

Offline sparky823

• VIP Member
Re: Samsung Washer Drain hose gunked up
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 10:04:39 PM »
Maybe use one of those rubber "Drain King" type things in the wall drain. You connect it to a hose and put it down in the pipe. It expands and blasts out all the gunk.
You might try using one of those brushes you use for cleaning under refrigerators(coil brush) in the washer hose if the brush isnt too big to fit into the hose. Then run water through the hose to flush it out.

Offline flynnibus

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 12:18:45 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions.

I had let the pipes soak with bleach in them overnight.. and come morning I ran one rinse cycle in the washer and found the flow to be unobstructed from the washer (all the gunk flushed out almost instantly) so I left the washer itself alone.  I then got a small diameter drain snake to just ram through there to try to break-up and push the sludge through.. and topped it off with some foaming draino to try to melt away the residual stuff.

The main stink is gone.. so hopefully got enough of it out.  Still suprised that much sludge had formed downstream of the drain pump (vs clogging up before the pump) but having 3 family members washing their barn clothes all the time probably puts all kinds of nasty stuff down there!

Offline sparky823

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 03:40:16 PM »
What detergent do you use? I used All Free/Clear for a long time. I had never had a problem with my drain before and was using powder Tide all the time. Due to skin sensitivity, changed to the All. About every 6-8 months my drain would start gurgling and then progress from there to wanting to be slower. Had to use the Drain King in a clean out port and that would solve the problem. Then was back in another few months. Kept this up for a long time and it finally hit me I had never had this problem until the All. Cleaned out the line again and switched detergent and havent cleaned it out in 4 years and not a gurgle at all. If you use liquid you might want to try powder. Some repairmen might not agree with that, but it is what fixed my problem.

Offline flynnibus

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 05:12:49 PM »
we use HE Tide.. and recently using the Tide Pods.

213045 Maytag Washer Water Drain Hose

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 3372
Last post May 15, 2009, 09:46:39 PM
by AJ
Samsung Washer WF218ANW/XAA Detergent Drawer Hose

Started by praztek

Replies: 4
Views: 353
Last post September 10, 2014, 05:55:46 AM
by praztek
My Maytag washer won't drain

Started by krisncameron

Replies: 1
Views: 4183
Last post November 18, 2007, 12:45:00 PM
by apptech
whirlpool washer model LXR9245EQ1- won't drain-slow spin

Started by fixmeplz

Replies: 2
Views: 7182
Last post January 16, 2008, 10:13:02 PM
by JWWebster
Frigidaire Washer - Noisy During Drain Cycle.

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 4016
Last post December 27, 2007, 07:54:12 PM
by AJ
samsung washer front door leaks

Started by gabriord

Replies: 4
Views: 5941
Last post October 06, 2011, 04:55:40 PM
by Canuckistan