Author Topic: Kenmore Electric model 110.64722400 Dryer  (Read 1067 times)

Offline Chuck Gibson

• VIP Member
Kenmore Electric model 110.64722400 Dryer
« on: July 23, 2013, 07:27:04 PM »
This opening post will be long as I have been trying to diagnose this problem for over two weeks now with no results. I will detail the steps that have been taken to hopefully not waste your time.
 This dryer when set on 50 minutes would run 20 - 30 minutes and shut off before the cycle was complete. The heat range cycles between 115 deg. and 145 Deg. while running on the med/hot setting measured with a meat thermometer at the rear of the dryer with the duct removed. Reading and learning from other post I removed the back, cleaned the vent and aluminum vent duct. I also removed the lint chute assembly and cleaned it out. I checked the vent going outside and it is clear. First I replaced the motor with a unit I got off of e-bay and got the same results. I notified that seller and he sent me another new motor of the same type. Same results. It was pointed out that I bought a cheap Made in China knockoff motor. I then replaced the motor with a OEM Whirlpool and got the same results. I checked the resistance of the drum and noticed a little bit of drag and upon inspection it needed the rear felt seal replaced. After that was replaced I went by a Home Depot and felt the drag on a brand new similar dryer and it takes about the same amount of force to spin the drum on this dryer. To assure myself that drum drag was not causing the motor to over work and over heat I removed the drum and belt to remove all resistance from the motor and set the timer for 50 minutes. I am getting the same results.... it shuts off. At this point with the drum and belt out of the dryer, I set a fan in the housing blowing directly on the motor and set the timer for 50 minutes. Same results, it shut off. Sometimes when it shuts off you can immediately push the start button and it restarts but it runs a shorter period of time before shutting off again. Sometimes you have to wait 5 or 10 minutes before the start button will start it back up. While it is running it sometimes stumbles like it is trying to shut off kind of like if you open the dryer door and shut it real fast before the drum stops turning allowing it to pick up and keep running. It seems to be getting worse but it is inconsistent. Now sometimes when you turn it on even using the "Air Dry" cycle (No Heat), it shuts off after about 5 minutes.
This dryer is killing me!!! If you guys have any ideas please advise me as what to check next.
Thank you much for any help you can give me!!

Offline tgoods

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: Kenmore Electric model 110.64722400 Dryer
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 07:56:26 PM »
Normally I would say it's the timer, but I had one the other day with the same symptoms that turned out to be the thermal fuse.  Try jiggling the timer knob when it quits while pressing the start button. If you have a meter, check for continuity between the black and blue wires on the timer and the thermal fuse in the back. Thermal fuse, 3392519. Timer, 8299784.

Offline Chuck Gibson

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 08:15:40 PM »
When I check the thermal fuse, should the timer be off or on or should I check it with the timer left alone right after the dryer shuts off? Should I disconnect the wires leading to it when I test it?

When I check the black and blue wires on the timer what position should the timer be turned to?

tgoods, sorry for asking what probley seem to be dumb questions....I just want to do this right!

Offline tgoods

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2013, 08:49:10 PM »
Since it's so intermittent, it might be better to check for a voltage drop.  The 120 volts that's suppose to be going to the motor is dropping out somewhere.  Set the timer like your starting a load, timed dry is good.  Check for voltage between the black and blue wires at the timer while pressing the start button.  If you get 120 vac, that's where your voltage is dropping out and your timer is bad.  Do the same test at the thermal fuse. Of course, that means you're working with live voltage, so be careful. If you're not comfortable with that, unplug the dryer and do a simple continuity test. Same thing, timer set to run.  There's no need to disconnect the wires unless you want to confirm the component, just disconnect one side.

Offline Chuck Gibson

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 09:36:12 PM »
OK. I posted a picture of the schematic with arrows pointing to the points I tested.

There is zero voltage showing at these points. I tested it with;
1. The dryer running;
2. The dryer after it had shut down;
3. The dryer being started back up with the start button held in;
All showed zero voltage. What should it show?

Before I received your testing instructions I tested for continuity at the same points. These test were ran;
1. With the timer off- No continuity;
2. With the timer on- continuity;
3. While the dryer was not running...it had just shut itself off- continuity;

Offline tgoods

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 10:19:42 PM »
It should be 0 volts, that shows that the voltage is not dropping across the timer contacts.  The test has to be done while the dryer is malfunctioning or else your test will show good. I bet it's the thermal fuse.  The thermal fuse will usually just fail but sometimes it can be intermittent.

Offline Chuck Gibson

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 10:22:19 PM »
OK. I have got to stop for the evening to go out of town. I will be back Thursday afternoon to remove the back and test the thermal fuse. Thanks for your patience!

Offline Chuck Gibson

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 09:50:36 PM »
I think I can most likely rule out the thermal fuse. This will probley make you cringe, but I unhooked the two wires from the fuse and taped them together. I fired up the dryer and stood and watched it and it shut off after 20 minutes. One thing I did notice though was the timer motor was really hot. When I say hot I mean that you could touch the back of it but you could not hold your finger on it for over a second or two. Is it normal for this part to heat up like that? 

Offline Chuck Gibson

• VIP Member
Re:FIXED! Kenmore Electric model 110.64722400 Dryer
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2013, 09:55:13 PM »
FIXED! Saturday morning while sipping a cup of coffee I was retesting everything that had already checked out OK. With the dryer running I was testing the voltage at the voltage block and it was showing a solid 240 volts. While I was testing it the dryer stumbled as I had described before while my test leads were still attached, the voltage dropped for a half of a second and went back to 240 as the dryer picked back up. It stumbled again with the same results. At that point I tested each side to the middle connection. One side showed a steady 120 while the other side would drop to 60 every time the dryer stumbled. I pulled the plug out of the wall slightly so I could access the prongs. I got the same results so I realized this was a power problem. I checked the breaker and it was solidly set on. I flipped it back and forth 8 or ten times just hoping to clean dirt out of it or whatever and then it showed a solid 240 volts! I bought a new breaker and replaced it and it has ran excellent ever since. It has ran at least 4 loads of clothes and went through two cycles of 60 minutes each while empty during the heat of the day.

I want to give a big THANKS  to all that have spent time trying to help me solve this problem!

What I have learned is that even if you show the correct voltage going in to a unit momentarily, don't rule out a defective breaker that is not putting out a steady voltage!

Offline tgoods

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2013, 11:14:06 PM »
Good job! It's hard to fix something from a computer monitor sometimes. I knew there was a voltage drop but didn't concentrate on anything outside the dryer. I'm glad you figured it out and thanks for the update. 

Kenmore Electric Dryer - Model F60909644

Started by txgal

Replies: 1
Views: 3450
Last post August 07, 2007, 08:21:33 AM
by AJ
Kenmore Model 70 electric dryer heating element 279838

Started by kjb

Replies: 1
Views: 4342
Last post April 24, 2010, 12:47:40 PM
by JWWebster