Free Service - Appliance Repair Help & Troubleshooting

Author Topic: How We Can Avoid Refrigerator Problems  (Read 566 times)

Offline adward

• VIP Member
How We Can Avoid Refrigerator Problems
« on: May 06, 2016, 04:19:33 AM »
 :cheers:
Refrigerator generally lasts longer than other appliances,  however, you can’t call them invulnerable to damages and repairs.

Set your refrigerator’s temperature between 37 to 40 degrees Fahrenheit.
Try to keep your fridge clean at all times.
Keeping it clean will also prevent the growth of moulds inside your fridge.
Slamming the door hard every time you come to close it can damage the door’s rubber gasket.
Vacuum the Condenser Coils
Nowadays al lot refrigerators come with in-built water dispensers. While it is a great utility, however, they need periodic maintenance too. For instance, you should replace the water filter of this dispenser after every few years or else it might not work properly.

Offline mz3own

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: How We Can Avoid Refrigerator Problems
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 05:23:27 AM »

Nowadays al lot refrigerators come with in-built water dispensers. While it is a great utility, however, they need periodic maintenance too. For instance, you should replace the water filter of this dispenser after every few years or else it might not work properly.
I disagree 100%
Every few years....  :rofl:
In actually every 6 months (every 3 months if you have hard water) the water filter should be changed. Some of the higher end fridges have a flow meter on the water valve that will keep track of how many gallons/liters pass through the valve and will turn on an indicator and tell the owner when to change.

Offline olyteddy

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2016, 05:14:51 PM »

I disagree 100%
Every few years....  :rofl:
In actually every 6 months (every 3 months if you have hard water) the water filter should be changed. Some of the higher end fridges have a flow meter on the water valve that will keep track of how many gallons/liters pass through the valve and will turn on an indicator and tell the owner when to change.
All the GEs used to meter the water (actually they just timed the amount of time the valves were open) but some genius bean-counter figured they weren't selling enough filters and GE changed to a simple 6 month timer. I mark the date on the filters and tell my clients to just reset the light every other time because they are retirees and don't use nearly as much water as a larger family would. With nearly 200 filters to change that's about a $10,000 annual savings!

Offline domain

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2016, 05:41:10 PM »
I have ONLY ever seen timers. rememeber that once the fridge is sold, the filters is their only continue of sale!

Offline domain

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2016, 05:41:38 PM »
Flow meters only used for flow rates on measured dispensing O0

Offline olyteddy

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2016, 06:20:32 PM »
Flow meters only used for flow rates on measured dispensing O0
My point exactly. GE fridges used to calculate how much water ran through the fridge by how long the water flowed. They now just automatically light the change filter light every 6 months.

Offline tgoods

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2016, 06:09:00 PM »
Why is this posted in washer repair? The main cause of torn door gaskets is from not cleaning up spills.

Offline mz3own

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2016, 07:35:17 PM »
Why is this posted in washer repair?
Because he is new. I also suspect he didn't have his profile set up right with a link to a business that would have caused this post to be deleted in the first place for spamming the page.

Offline adward

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2016, 03:03:54 AM »
 :oops: Yeh..Sorry for that ..Agree with you.  O0
Well limit the life of filter, which varies depending on usage. whether that’s three months, six months – or even nine months – life expectancy is based on estimated usage and is determined by tests conducted by the filter manufacturer. Most manufacturer guidelines recommend that you replace your water filters every six months. Of course, these guidelines are based more on broad situations – rather than your specific situation. If your family uses a heavier than average amount of water, your filter could expire early, meaning it will no longer be reducing particulates and contaminants effectively. or
If you have a larger family of four or more, or live in an area with sediment-heavy well water, we recommend bumping up your replacement schedule to 1 – 3 months, based on your water tastes.

Frigidaire Refrigerator Ice Dispenser Problems

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 2
Views: 13328
Last post June 11, 2013, 01:23:14 PM
by kcfinch
LG Refrigerator - Problems

Started by rmking64

Replies: 3
Views: 13635
Last post October 05, 2009, 11:58:29 PM
by krazytech