Author Topic: My Kenmoore 70 series will run, but not heat up. I need help on diagnostic.  (Read 2204 times)

Offline Nathan Allen

• VIP Member
I cleaned out a lot of lint build up from dryer. I learned about the safety cut off that are non-resetable and thermal fuse. I replaced the heating element, but not the problem.  I don't know how to trouble shoot the problem. I am buying a meter tomorrow, so I can do this right. I need to know what readings, I should get on each part. So, I know what part is bad. Please advise any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline tgoods

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
We're in the wrong category but AJ will move us.  Check the thermal cutoff on the side of the heater can. Around 0 ohms is good, infinite is bad. You'll probably find it bad, it's more common than an element for no heat problems. If it checks good, post your model number so I can pull a schematic.

Offline Nathan Allen

• VIP Member
On my way home from work tomorrow, I am going to pick up a meter. I will test thermal cut off and get back to you. I appreciate your quick reply....Nathan

Offline Nathan Allen

• VIP Member
Well, I ended up borrowing my neighbors mulitimeter for the day. I have no reading on the thermal cut-off switch. So, I guess that means that part is good. My model number 110.66722694. Please advise.

Offline Nathan Allen

• VIP Member
I tested the thermal fuse and I have continuity on it.

Offline Nathan Allen

• VIP Member
I have no continuity on the thermal cutout and 0 ohms is that normal. I thought I would have continuity.

Offline tgoods

• Technician
0 ohms means you have continuity and it indicates that the thermal cutoff is good. Infinite is bad. Are you using an analog or digital meter? If the needle doesn't move, that's infinite and no continuity. If everything checks out in back, check the timer.  Look for the two thickest wires, usually red and black. Check for continuity between the terminals with the timer in running position.

Offline Nathan Allen

• VIP Member
I am using a digital meter. I tested the timer for continuity at the terminals once I disconnected the red and black wires and got continuity. I also, checked today if the breaker was partially tripped, but it was fine.

Offline Nathan Allen

• VIP Member
Just to be clear. For the thermal cutoff. I said 0 ohms because the digital meter stayed at 0. I put it then on the setting that will beep if I have continuity. It has beeped on everything that I tested, but the thermal cutoff. So, does that mean that part is bad? Sorry, for the confusion.

Offline tgoods

• Technician
I'm confused.  If it's showing 0 ohms, it should have continuity.  You could test for a voltage drop.  Run the dryer and check for voltage at the tco terminals.  If you get 240 vac, it's bad.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
Just to be clear. For the thermal cutoff. I said 0 ohms because the digital meter stayed at 0. I put it then on the setting that will beep if I have continuity. It has beeped on everything that I tested, but the thermal cutoff. So, does that mean that part is bad? Sorry, for the confusion.

I wonder if your confusing what your calling "0 ohms" with what is actually no reading on the meter.
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline Nathan Allen

• VIP Member
Right...No reading on meter AJ. That is the confusion.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
No reading on the meter is just the opposite of having 0 ohms.

0 ohms is what you have when you touch the meters two test leads together.
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline Nathan Allen

• VIP Member
ok, so I have no reading at all.

Offline Nathan Allen

• VIP Member
No reading on thermal cutoff. So, that means the thermal cut off needs to be replaced?

Kenmore 70 series electric dryer...wont heat

Started by lalakelley

Replies: 53
Views: 40702
Last post November 24, 2011, 02:40:03 AM
by RegUS_PatOff
Kenmore 70 series dryer won't heat

Started by akwikeee

Replies: 29
Views: 46164
Last post October 29, 2010, 12:37:03 AM
by JWWebster