Author Topic: Whirlpool Refrigerator Model ET1MHKXMQ03 Not Cooling Enough  (Read 2412 times)

Offline dksagun

• VIP Member
Refrigerator only cools to 50 degrees F. Freezer was having issues earlier in the week in hot weather but now seems to be okay now that temps are slightly lower.  Cleaned coils down below.  Verified condenser and evaporator fans are working and airflow is not restricted.  Coils in upper freezer were not frozen.  Bottom drain pan was filled with water.  Problem developed with the onset of hot temps in the 90's. Any ideas here?

Offline go400

• Technician
Re: Whirlpool Refrigerator Model ET1MHKXMQ03 Not Cooling Enough
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 03:42:37 AM »
Seems like your system has leaked refrigerant, or the compressor is ineficient. Gauges would confirm. An accurate freezer temperature above 10 degrees would also confirm.

Offline dksagun

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 06:02:00 PM »
Emptied the fridge and freezer and left unplugged overnight.  Powered up in the morning and let cool for several hours.  Recordered a fridge temp of intially 30 degrees F.  After opening and closing the door a few times over the course of the day the fridge temperature went up to 50 degrees F.  Checked out the freezer at initally at 20 degrees and it has now gone up to 32 degrees.  Ambient temperature in the room is 77 degrees.   The door seal gaskets are okay.  Is this cost effectively repairable or do I need to buy I new fridge. 

Offline dksagun

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 06:42:30 PM »
Checked the temps again.  Freezer at 12 degrees and fridge at 46 degrees.  Fans are running okay.  Temps have a hard time recovering after opening and closing the doors.  Is this a compressor or refridgerant issue?  Fridge is only six years old.

Online Bailey

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 11:51:00 PM »
Remove the back interior wall of the freezer and look at the coil. It should have a thin coating of frost over the entire coil.If only part of it is frosted you have a sealed system problem.

Offline dksagun

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 07:53:37 AM »
Check the temps this morning.  Air temp is 74 degrees with lower humidity.  Frige temp at 32 and freezer temp at -2.  The compressor, condenser and evaporator fans are currently not running.  I assume because it is either in a defrost cycle or the thermostat temps have been reached. Checked the evaporaor coils and they have a thin layer of frost on all the coils.  Thermostat has been set to max cool for the past week.   Measure the fridge temp yesterday earlier in the day at 32 degrees then it went up to 50 degrees as the day went on and the freezer went up to 32 degrees.  In the hot, humid weather the fridge and freezer have cooling issues.  Have experienced this the past two summers and it seems to be getting worse.  Dust was removed from condenser coils on Saturday.  Anybody have an idea of what's going on here?

Offline dksagun

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 08:16:24 AM »
Also, I want to add that I had the thermostat turned off for a bit last night when I was inspecting the freezer and other components.  Could resetting the thermostat temporarily resolve my cooling issues?

Offline dksagun

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 02:19:24 PM »
Well, after initially checking this morning the fridge temp at 32 degrees and the freezer temp at -2 degrees, the temps have risen throughout the day. Checked temps this afternoon.  Measured fridge temp at 40 degrees and freezer temp at 5 degrees.  Rechecked the temps a half later.  The temps seem to have a hard time recovering after the the doors are opened and closed a couple times.  The evaporator fan keeps running.  I am assuming both the condenser and evaporator fans should turn off when the thermostat temperature is reached.  Is that correct? The fans have been running conitinuously shortly after I opened the doors to check the temps this morning.  I am looking at possibly a weak compressor?

Online theoldstoveguy

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 07:43:41 PM »
Weak compressor would show up on the frost pattern. Are you reinstalling the rear panel on the freezer after checking the pattern? Also is the back compressor area panel installed?

Offline dksagun

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 09:31:02 PM »
Yes and Yes.  Checked temp this evening.  Freezer at 2 degrees and Fridge at 36 degrees with thermostat cranked to full cold.  Temp seems very erratic

Offline dksagun

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 06:13:19 PM »
Still having issues with fridge temp not cooling enough.  Monitored temp throughout the day today.  Freezer temp ranged from 2 to 10 degrees with the exception of of going up to 24 degrees during the defrost cycle.  The fridge temp ranged from 35 to 44 degrees with thermostat cranked all the way to cold.  Evaporator fan runs continuously except during defrost cycle. but the fridge never really get cold and does not recover well when the doors are opened/closed.  There is a thin layer of frost on all evaporator coils.  Condenser coils are clean.  Door gaskets are good.  What is the problem with my fridge not cooling enough and running continuosly?

Online theoldstoveguy

• Technician
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2013, 08:40:27 PM »
How do you know it's running constantly ? And temperature is air temperature ? Or a thermometer in a glass of water? Frost on evaporator should be very light not more than 1/8 thick. Opening the door a lot will effect temperature as well, Trying to figure how you can check the temperature without opening a lot, which will make it warmer.   

Offline dksagun

• VIP Member
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2013, 09:28:26 PM »
Took 17 air temperature readings today between 8AM and 10 PM by opening the doors checking the thermometer temp and closing it right away.  First read or the morning was 2 degrees freezer and 35 degrees fridge.  15 out 17 times the evaporator fan was running in the freezer.  Also, I can hear the evaporator fan running on the outside without opening the doors.  I am assuming the evaporator fan is running constantly because the air temperature in the refridgerator is not being reached. Checked the evaporator coils at 10 PM and there was a thin layer of frost on all coils.  Evaporator fan was off for about a half hour around noon time.  Checked the intake and outake vents from the freezer to the fridge section and their were no obstructions.  Freezer temps ranged from 2 to 10 degrees when it was not in defrost mode.  Fridge temps ranged from 35 to 45 degrees. What gives here? ARe the freezer temps not low enough to allow the fridge temps to reach the desired themostat settings.  Do I have a weak evaporator fan?  It seem strong and is turning fast.  Is there a problem with the compressor or the sealed refridgerant system? Does the compressor run in conjunction with evaporator fan?  If so, it is running continuously except in defrost mode.  What gives here?  Any ideas?

Online theoldstoveguy

• Technician
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2013, 10:59:53 PM »
What is your room temperature? 80% run time @ 70 degrees,90% @80 degrees and 100% @ 85+ is normal on most refrigerators. Put a container of ice cream in the freezer (not in the door),leave for 12 hours. It should be firm and spoonable (if that's a word) not hard as a rock or too soft. Fans all run when the compressor is on and do not when it is off. The 30 min @ noon was probably in defrost. Temperatures will fluctuate. May be leading to a loss of charge, or compressor issue but without gauges can't go any further.

Offline dksagun

• VIP Member
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2013, 05:22:06 AM »
Room temp ranged from 78 to 81 degrees.  Initially had trouble the issue last week when room temp close to 90 degrees with high humidity.  Ice Cream was very soft, soupy in the freezer.  Refridgerator has trouble keeping cool in the hot and humid temps.  After sitting unopened last night, in the morning it was 5 degrees in the freezer and 35 degrees in the fridge with room temp of 76 degrees.  Thermostat was turned to max cool.  Compressor and fans are running. I gather it is an issue with sealed system.  What else could it be?

Whirlpool Refrigerator Model GI7FVCXWY01 frig not cooling.

Started by ranway

Replies: 7
Views: 4164
Last post September 12, 2011, 09:30:44 PM
by ranway
Please help, Whirlpool refrigerator not cooling good.

Started by paul

Replies: 6
Views: 6613
Last post August 22, 2007, 12:59:04 PM
by Pegi
Whirlpool Refrigerator Not Cooling

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 0
Views: 3284
Last post May 05, 2008, 10:33:31 PM
by TechnicianBrian
Whirlpool Refrigerator not Cooling

Started by TechnicianBrian

Views: 10414
Last post September 10, 2008, 07:20:01 AM
by TechnicianBrian
R-95 Whirlpool WP 2001 K Model Counter Depth SxS Refrigerator w/ Variable Capacity Compressor Service Manual

Started by AJ

Views: 1820
Last post August 20, 2009, 01:17:05 PM
by AJ
R-86 Whirlpool "F" Model Bottom Mount Refrigerator Service Manual

Started by AJ

Views: 1675
Last post August 20, 2009, 01:22:18 PM
by AJ