Author Topic: Whirlpool washer M# WTW 55SQ2 will not agitate  (Read 1156 times)

Offline Macka

• VIP Member
Whirlpool washer M# WTW 55SQ2 will not agitate
« on: July 15, 2013, 11:49:34 PM »
Hi all
This is the second time I have posted this but I can't see the first post so am trying again!  Anyway my washer will not agitate, maybe just barely, like a quarter inch...MAYBE.  It fills, spins, rinses, it drains and otherwise behaves itself. It is simply refusing to agitate and the agitator itself can spin easily if I twist it. I had replaced the dogs with "universal dogs" and also all the rubber washers in the upper /middlish agitator as well as that 7/16ths through bolt that goes down the middle of the agitator and that little black washer at the bottom of it.  I was told to replace the belt and the spine by the appliance store guy but they were out of stock; so I called the factory to get the parts the appliance guy didn't have. The factory guy said it was a "direct drive" (whatever THAT is) and my washer has neither a belt or a spline. It was the factory guy that told me to replace the bottom washer (that little back one) and the bolt...and told me I ABSOLUTLEY CANNOT use NEW "universal parts; they HAVE to be from Whirlpool.  That's OK with me, I just figured the parts guy would sell me the right dogs and washers when I gave him the model number (like I would know the diff between universal dogs and alien dogs and hot dogs...sorry). So anyway, I replaced EVERYTHING I just put in with ALL NEW FACTORY WHIRLPOOL PARTS...this was a big ZERO, it still won't agitate...
But the upside is, I am getting really fast at taking it apart and putting it back together!!    Any suggestions?  Thanks, Macka

Offline scrapiron

• Technician
  • Service Tech Since 1974
Re: Whirlpool washer M# WTW 55SQ2 will not agitate
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2013, 06:45:58 AM »
I'm guessing the full model # is really WTW5500SQ2. Your problem could be stripped splines inside of the agitator, but most likely a defective gearcase (transmission). Remove the agitator, fill the washer at the lowest water level setting & watch the agitator shaft. You could try putting resistance on the shaft with a slip joint pliers. you shouldn't be able to hold it easily from moving.

Gearcase & repair video here:
http://www.appliancepartspros.com/whirlpool-neutral-drain-transmission-3360629-ap3096209.html

Offline Macka

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 02:39:59 PM »
Just a quick thought here...
if I don't have a spline, (per the factory guy...) how can it be stripped?
(Then again, the factory guy thought the universal dogs were a problem.)
OK...I am going to trust you on this one and give it a whirl.
I refuse to be defeated. 
I figure I am at least 3% smarter than a chunk of metal.
Maybe?
:-)

Offline fairbank56

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 02:59:53 PM »

Is it the lower part of the agitator that isn't working, or just the upper? Your washer does have "splines". The top of the agitator shaft is splined to mate with the splines up inside the agitator. There are also splines in the lower part of the agitator shaft inside the gearcase that mate with splines in the agitate gear. It's a direct drive because the motor drives the gearcase directly via a coupler, not using pulleys and belts as in a belt drive design. If the lower part of the agitator is not working properly, do as scrapiron suggested to determine if the problem may be stripped splines up inside the agitator.

Eric

Offline Macka

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 04:37:05 PM »
Don't know what is a "slip joint pliers"
I have a needle nose pliers and a regular pliers that I hate (and it knows I hate it) and a pipe wrench that is too heavy for me to hold and work with at the same time and a hammer and a flathead screwdriver and another screw driver that's magnetic that I can put different heads (or whatever you call them) into for different screws... and my tools are pink...and I'm 62 and my (almost) 7 year old granddaughter is helping me...
Replacing gearcase ...please hold.
(or...maybe you better NOT hold; I'll get back to you!)
:-)

Offline scrapiron

• Technician
  • Service Tech Since 1974
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 05:42:17 PM »
Ok, the regular pliers will work. just remove the ENTIRE agitator assembly & see if you can hold the shaft with the pliers while its agitating. If you can hold it still or close to still, it is a bad transmission.

Offline Macka

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 11:49:36 PM »
OK
Here's the deal.
Now I can't get the bolt out, but still trying. I guess the bolt and the dogs are trying to work because it does agitate a little bit.
I filled it to the lowest water setting and remembered that it won't agitate with the  lid open, so I can't actually watch it agitate.  I know it's not doing it though, because the clothes are in the same position as when I put them in and they stay dry on top, so they are not going under.

But, by using the fins on the agitator as handles, I can turn the agitator one way (to the right) very easily. 
When I turn I to the left, it will stop, or stop and catch a bit then if I try to keep turning, it will turn left but it catches and pops when it is forced to turn to the left. But I have to really TRY to get it to turn. (Keep in mind it is a GRANDMA "really try, not  BIG GUY WITH MUSCLES 'really try.")

So, I have a brand new gearcase sitting on the floor next to the machine; do I install the gearcase in or no?

And, if yes, how do I get the bolt out now that it is NEW and STUCK using grandma hands?
The 7/16ths and extension is just NOT cutting it this time and there is not enough room for a leaver.  Can I try WD-40 or will it muck up the works?

Thank you,
Macka

Offline Macka

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 02:12:56 PM »
Hi Scrapiron,
I finally got the bolt loose - without WD-40 -but it seems to be just spinning and spinning inside the agitator and I can't get it to come out so I can get the agitator off.
Any suggestions?
Thanks

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 03:17:07 PM »
Try to take a mens size belt and stick it under agitator and pull up on it to see if it will pull off spline.Notch the belt closed and pull up on it .Just watch that the agitator don't come off fast and hitting you in the head.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 03:24:36 PM by dab147315 »

Offline Macka

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2013, 10:05:44 AM »
Excellent!
Thank you

Offline Macka

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2013, 04:18:20 PM »
Guys!
I DID IT!!!
I put it in the gearcase and it is agitating like crazy...and filling and draining but I must have done something wrong because now it is no longer spinning, and it was before I started.
I was proud of myself for all of 5 minutes.  I followed the video EXACTLY (or so I thought).  What did I do wrong? 
Thanks,
Macka

Offline Macka

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 10:14:43 PM »
Hello again,
My washer is  no longer spinning, although it was before I replaced the gearcase.

All other cycles seem to be working appropriately.

So far have replaced the entire gearcase and the dogs and all the upper agitator washers and bolt.

I looked at a few other forum threads and they seem to think a faulty coupler will keep it from spinning, but the new gearcase came with a new coupler and also a new retainer or lock washer, (it's flat, it's u-shaped and it snaps around the shaft above the clutch -sorry, don't know it's actual name) so both of those parts were replaced also.

Is there a next step?

Repair Guide: Whirlpool Direct Drive Washer - No agitate or spin

Started by AJ

Replies: 13
Views: 28066
Last post January 02, 2009, 01:09:38 PM
by AJ
Whirlpool Washer - No Agitate or Spin

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 2455
Last post December 27, 2007, 07:58:27 PM
by AJ
Whirlpool Washer - Does not agitate very good.

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 1924
Last post December 30, 2007, 09:51:09 PM
by AJ
whirlpool washer won't agitate or spin

Started by whirlpool problem

Replies: 6
Views: 7090
Last post May 02, 2008, 12:33:26 PM
by AJ
Whirlpool Washer no Agitate or Spin