Author Topic: WHIRLPOOL LXR9245EQ1 - GRINDING NOISE  (Read 1283 times)

Offline croady

• VIP Member
WHIRLPOOL LXR9245EQ1 - GRINDING NOISE
« on: July 17, 2013, 05:44:40 PM »
I replaced a broken coupler.  Put the washer all back together and now it spins but with every spin it makes a very loud grinding sound and the bucket seems really loose. The grinding sound is not continuous only as it spins.  Hard to explain.

Please help or hunt me down and shoot me.  UGH!!!

>:(

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: WHIRLPOOL LXR9245EQ1 - GRINDING NOISE
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 07:51:39 PM »
Check the drive block under the agitator in case the nut is loose or the "ears" are worn off .

Offline croady

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 07:54:17 PM »
Where is that located at and how do you get to it?  I'm sorry!  I'm female and this is all new to me.  I was quite proud of myself for replacing the coupler but now this.  Trying to save my mom some money.

Thanks so much!

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 08:19:51 PM »
Cap on top of the agitator pops off (may need blade of screwdriver to pry it off) under you will see a 7/16 nut . (May have a plastic cap covering it) Remove it and the agitator will lift off. You will see a shaft sticking up,below that a nut (round) I spin the tub with my hand and see if it rotates separate from the nut. It should not.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 08:31:04 PM »
Did you drive the coupler too far onto the tranny or motor? I have done it. Caused the coupler to bind up
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline croady

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 09:05:31 PM »
I'm almost certain it does have something to do with the agitator itself.  I took the top cap off, spun it again and the loud noise seems to be coming from down in the agitator.  It almost sounds like real hard plastic gears grinding.  Ugh.  I don't understand how both the coupler and agitator part could both go bad at the same time though.  I'm going to take the agitator apart although I don't even know what I'm looking for.   :'(

Offline croady

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 07:08:57 PM »
Okay guys... I took the agitator itself off and when I do the spin cycle, works perfect. No noise!  So I set the agitator back down on the shaft tried it again and the noise is back.  It kind of sounds like the hard plastic is hitting up against something on the shaft but I don't know what it would be.  Any suggestions as to what to look for that may be broke??  I don't know what these parts are supposed to look like!

Offline fairbank56

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 07:51:13 PM »

Offline croady

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 07:54:57 PM »
YES!!!!!!  Exactly!!

Offline fairbank56

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2013, 08:06:11 PM »
  Faulty gearcase. More specifically, the agitate cam inside the gearcase is worn and allowing the agitate gear to partially engage the agitator shaft during spin. Replace gearcase or tear it down and replace the cam.

Eric

http://www.appliancepartspros.com/whirlpool-neutral-drain-transmission-3360629-ap3096209.html

http://www.appliancepartspros.com/whirlpool-agitate-cam-285206-ap3094371.html
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 08:10:58 PM by fairbank56 »

Offline croady

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2013, 09:56:16 PM »
You are talking to a rookie/woman here.  So which one do I do?  Replace gearcase or tear it down and replace the cam?

You have helped me tremendously by the way and I thank you from the bottom of my heart!

:thanks:

Offline fairbank56

• Technician
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 10:17:05 PM »

Replacing the cam is the much cheaper option but likely beyond your capability and given the age of the washer I would just replace the gearcase. You might want to have an experienced tech look at it though as you indicated the "bucket" seemed really loose so that may be another issue altogether, possibly a worn drive block, as already suggested.

Eric

Offline b2ran

• VIP Member
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2013, 09:18:29 AM »
Hi Guys.

I found this thread a couple of weeks ago. I was having the same problem croady was having (same model) and fairbank56 your video link helped me determine that I did have the same problem. I was going to see what I could do after we got back from a trip last week.

Before we left my wife put a heavy load in the thing and it started a knocking/grinding sound during agitation and the clothes would just go in a circle wrapping around the agitator. I figured it was the agitate cam had totally gone out.

I took the motor and transmission out, separated the motor and disassembled the transmission and got the old agitate cam out. I headed to the local appliance parts store and got the only agitate cam they had at a premium price.

Anyway, I got it back together and still had the knocking/grinding noise during agitation, but the grinding noise during the spin was gone. It would spin like new. I pulled the transmission back out and tested it by putting a drill on the pump shaft of the motor and spinning it clockwise and counter clockwise and it shifted between agitate and spin just like itís supposed to. I even took the cover off again to see what was going on inside. I couldnít see anything wrong.

I nailed it down that during the fast agitation is where the problem was. The Normal and Permanent Press cycles made the noise and everything went in a circle. It would even come and go if left it agitating long enough. The Delicate and Quick Wash worked okay at the slower speed. Itís not the agitator; itís coming from the transmission. I went so far as to take the cabinet off and get under it while running and itís in the transmission. 

I took agitator out and started it and grabbed the agitator shaft with a rag trying to hold some resistance and no noise. Then, I put the bottom part of the agitator on the shaft and the noise was there.

Iím going to ditch it and get a used one from my friend for $50.00. Itís a Whirlpool too. I might hold on to the major parts less the transmission for future reference. I figure if I get one year or even six months out of it Iím ahead of the game.

Can anybody tell me what was going on? Iíve got an enquiring mind and want to know if some of you techs can tell me what else was going on in the transmission. Iím assuming it had something to do with the spring and gear on the agitator shaft. I just want to know, for future reference.

Another point is if anyone has the original problem with the agitate cam with the grinding during spin and it starts grinding during agitate. You may not want to waste your time on a transmission repair. I now know why the standard procedure is to replace the transmission.

Thanks

whirlpool utlicare 2 wont agitate or spin but will drain water - grinding noise

Started by NEHoss24

Replies: 20
Views: 5132
Last post June 09, 2010, 10:11:38 PM
by NEHoss24
whirlpool lsc9000pw0 grinding noise during high agitation

Started by ActionFigure

Replies: 2
Views: 1172
Last post November 25, 2011, 08:04:22 PM
by jbtools
Whirlpool WTW4850XQ0 Grinding noise during Agitate & Spin

Started by rockinrobin

Replies: 8
Views: 2932
Last post March 04, 2013, 02:12:53 PM
by haroldsappliance
Whirlpool makes noise at end of wash cycle

Started by brfiel

Replies: 6
Views: 2968
Last post September 22, 2007, 01:01:53 PM
by AJ
whirlpool washer model LXR9245EQ1- won't drain-slow spin

Started by fixmeplz

Replies: 2
Views: 6293
Last post January 16, 2008, 10:13:02 PM
by JWWebster
Whirlpool Duet Washer - F-30 error code and clunking noise in detergent area.

Started by AJ

Replies: 3
Views: 13693
Last post November 15, 2009, 09:34:58 AM
by AJ