365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy!  ·  AppliancePartsPros.com
Washer Parts  ·  Dryer Parts  ·  Refrigerator Parts  ·  Dishwasher Parts  ·  Range & Oven Parts  ·  All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: WHAT WOULD YOU DO??  (Read 137 times)

Offline wildimaginations

• Technician
WHAT WOULD YOU DO??
« on: July 15, 2013, 08:58:48 PM »

I got a letter from a customer who is demanding a refund of my service call charges because he claims that I didn't tell him of the minimum $80.00 charge for coming out to diagnose his BBQ grill.  I tell everyone on the phone of my minimum charge but I guess he had a "senior moment" and didn't hear it. 

I charged him $180.00 ($80.00 Service Call charge and $100.00 labor) for hanging around for 1.5 hours helping him reassemble his BBQ grill that he disassembled to save money.  Attached is the letter.

He gave me a check for $180.00.  3 days later, it bounced.  I called him saying that his check bounced and that he needed to call me back to settle the bill with a credit card + $50.00 return check fee.  Instead, he sends me another check from his wife's account for $180.00.  I called his bank to verify that the funds are there.  Made the deposit and hopefully it will clear.

I've already decided to return his $80.00 that he's demanding but I am keeping $50.00 of it for his check being returned for NSF.  And asking him not to call me for service again.  Will do it later this week.  I could be a jerk and not return anything but this bitterness will just raise my blood pressure and make my life that much more miserable.

WHAT WOULD YOU DO??
Appliance Service Technician
Authorized servicer on LG appliances.
About 45 mins east of San Francisco

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: WHAT WOULD YOU DO??
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 09:03:46 PM »
Why didn't he confront you when he paid the bill?

Offline wildimaginations

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 09:25:14 PM »
Have no idea.  He didn't say anything to me.  He was just glad to get his BBQ going.

Offline Wedgeman55

• Technician
  • Man vs Appliance - Never give up, Never surrender
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 11:23:36 PM »
In my humble opinion,   for the stupid 80 bucks,   I would just send it back.    Not that you have to,  but this clown sounds like he might actually contact these different people.    Not worth the hassle to you if he does.     But I also agree with you about not working for this guy anymore.   

I had a recent experience which was a little different.    I had a customer who I had been working for ---about 4 or 5 years.    I fixed a coin op dryer for him.    It was 120 dollars and some change for the bill.   This Manager wrote out a check for the amount,   and I didn't hear from him for a couple of months.   Then,   He calls one day all irritated,  and want's a refund.     I asked what the problem was,  and he said that the condo association didn't re-imburse him for the repair and he wanted his money back.    Not my fault.   I told him if there was a problem,  I would fix it but there wasn't one.   He just wanted his money back from me,  and told me to deal with the condo association myself.   

Well,  at first I told him no.   But then he called, and told me if he didn't have his money in 3 days,  he would call his lawyer.     Now,  I was in the right.     I did the repair,  and he paid me like he always did so if he did call a lawyer it wouldn't have mattered.   I was in the right.   But,   cause he was such a pain in the ass and I didn't need any legal hassles,    I wrote him a check and gave him his money back.    And wrote him a letter stating that I enjoyed working for him for the past years,  but I have a personal policy that if someone threatens to sue me,   I won't work for them again.    I wrote it nice,  not brutal.   Better to end things nice.

I sent a bill to condo association,   and they paid me.   I also sent the letter I wrote to the manager to the them.    And told them I would no longer work for them.    They paid me and said they wanted me to continue to do repairs.  .............   he has since called me 4 or 5 times BEGGING me to fix things for him.     I say thank you,  but no.    I tell him that I already replaced him with another property that wanted me but before I didn't have time.    The head of the condo association has called several times,   and I told him thanks,  but no.     By the way,   I also told most of the other companies I know around me about this place,   and none of them will work there.   They are having trouble getting anyone to come out at this point.   

So, in conclusion,  sometimes it is better to give money back than endure spiteful hassles that none of us need.    It's not alot of money to put up with the hassle.
Commercial Laundry repair Tech and Installer  1973 to 1980
Service Manager / Technician Commercial Laundry repair company 1980 to 2002
Refrigeration - HVAC - Boiler School 1974-1976
Electronic School 1978-1979
Self Employed Appliance Repair Company 2002 to present

Offline niobrara

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 11:32:20 PM »
Must be the moon. Had a lady call a couple of Sundays ago ,ref down, in a panic. Went to the ref, no freon,bad line thru the condenseor pan. Charged my service fee and left. Husband called that night, can you fix it ? Yes new compressor and replace line and dryer. $640 dollars. Cant you just replace the line and add a new dryer. Please,ok I'll try but I will not grantee it. $200 for new line and dryer. Fixed it then evap plugged,couldn't blow it clear.Husband stated he worked for a heating and air company and he would get some nitrogen to blow thru it ??? Ok I'll come back tomorrow,called the next day, he forgot it,called the next, he said there was oil under it and they were getting a new one. OK you owe me $200 yet. He asked if we could work something out because I hadnt fixed it. What part of no grantee dont you get. Tell you what I'll take the ref. OK that works pick it up tue. OK. Called all week just kept getting brushed off. Sunday his wife calls, and tells me there getting someone else to fix it and there not getting a new one. What about my money,she hung up. Bill sent,this should be interesting.

Offline LowSL2

• Technician
  • Fletch F. Fletch
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 12:25:22 AM »
If you followed the law, you shouldn't have to refund him anything. If its on the estimate, and he signed that estimate, the law is on your side.

The name sounds familiar. I'll have to look it up. But I think this guy tried to pull the same thing with $ears.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

LowSL2
15 Years of Professional Appliance Repair Experience

Offline wildimaginations

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2013, 08:06:54 AM »
 I slept kinda good last night.  Got up this morning with a clearer head and decided not to go "Postal" on this subject.  Don't want to be involved in any "George Zimmerman" situation. You know, "defending myself".

I'm going to be a gentleman about the whole thing and move on with my life.  Maybe I'll buy a lotto ticket and see what happens.  Better yet, I'm going to the local In and Out Burger joint and have a 5x5 burger on a lettuce wrap, fries and a large coke.  Mmmm... 

Offline LowSL2

• Technician
  • Fletch F. Fletch
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2013, 09:08:26 AM »
Do these guys even know what In-n-Out is? :P

I'm going to be in San Ramon later. Maybe I'll see you there. I'll look for the guy eating a burger with a knife and fork.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

LowSL2
15 Years of Professional Appliance Repair Experience

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 12:17:30 PM »
Better yet, I'm going to the local In and Out Burger joint and have a 5x5 burger on a lettuce wrap, fries and a large coke.  Mmmm...

O0

Offline andersenappliance

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, 08:45:28 PM »
In the case you describe, I would simply refund the service call portion, apologize for any misunderstanding, and let it go.  I would NOT say don't call me again.  I never say that.  It reflects bad on Yelp, Angie's List, and any other on-line forum.  It takes eating a bit of crow, because I tend towards pride.  But I generally attempt to keep my complaints clean.  "He screwed up, but gave me my money back."  If that is the worst that he can say, then you can't go wrong.  "He didn't tell me what it would cost, then only gave me part of my money back, then said he would never work for me again, and the darn BBQ has never worked right since..."  That comment has legs.

I try to imagine complaints when the complainer has had a few beers, then I wonder how it will sound as a (negative) referral, or an online review. 

I hate giving money back, especially when I'm right, but it is often cheaper then getting bad press.  And, in a few months, or years, you'll get the satisfaction of telling him you are too busy, or even setting appointments, and rescheduling them a few times, before only taking cash payments 'cause your cc processor is having problems...

ON the other hand, with businesses, I go the way Wedgemann does.  They know better, because they have had to deal with it themselves.