Author Topic: A wet problem, LG frontloader and OE message  (Read 579 times)

Offline Double L

• VIP Member
A wet problem, LG frontloader and OE message
« on: May 02, 2014, 12:38:13 AM »
Hello ApplianceJunk. First post here, after searching I didn't find what I am looking for so I decided to join and ask. Thanks for any help I may recieve, hopefully I can get pointed in the right direction here.

Wife is home alone doing laundry and machine stops during the drain portion of the cycle and displays an OE error. She pulls out the small little screen down on the left/front area of the machine and discovers it is FILTHY. She cleaned and re-installed the filter. Then she re-started the wash cycle, the machine drained a full load of water... onto the FLOOR and flooded a rather large area.

She checked the drain hose, it is in the proper spot in the wall. The wall drain is dry. The leakage occurred under the unit. I am currently away from the house but will be tearing in to this thing once I return home. I am a very accomplished industrial electrician and am quite sure I could figure it out, but seeing as I have time to do a little research I figured I would start here, seems to be some rather experienced techs here that may have seen this before.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Offline Patricio

• Technician
  • Tight Lines
Re: A wet problem, LG frontloader and OE message
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 07:56:31 AM »
Check the filter got installed back correctly.  How did she get the drain filter off without getting water alo over
Great Old Fashion Hometown Service

Offline Double L

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 09:38:40 AM »
After getting some sleep and getting home I wondered the same thing about the filter. Going over what happened again before I open it up after this and some new info came up :)

She went to check if the wash was done. It was not. Tub was empty and would not spin. Display said OE, now it could have shown another prior to that but she didn't see it if it did, so she cleaned the filter and a small amount of water came out. Added the rags she used to wipe up the mess to the same load and re started the wash.

After a bit she noticed the carpet seemed dark.... Washer was spinning like everything was normal showing no code. Lots of water had been dumped, she shut it off and says she believes it leaked for a little after shutting it down.

Sounds like something broke. Well, without actually watching it do whatever it really did that's what it seems like so far. Going to open it up and have a look around and see what I see :) maybe something very obvious will be wrong.

I found the service manual area, very nice! I have yet to get the model number and download the manual though. I'm afraid to run it or do any testing without looking inside it first.  I am not a tech but it seems like something had to be very wrong for the machine to be spinning on a empty tub like everything is normal while actually all it was doing was trying to convert my living room into a lake.

More info in a bit...

Offline Double L

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 11:31:28 AM »
Now I've taken off the top and back and inspected for damage, all looks good. I enter test mode and it displays three items which I can find absolutely nothing about. The washer is model WM2301H. I found a service manual online but it is lacking on explaining the three codes displayed on entering test mode.

They look like this-  ld04  lnA2   Lu05

When I cycle through the 10 or so test functions everything seems okay, except that when doing the first spin tests, one press two press and three press of the start button, the drain pump is running. It does not sound healthy. It doesn't sound clogged or locked but it has a noticeable growl to it.

I checked the filter down on the left and it is in correctly. I pulled the drain tube plug just to see what happened and nothing came out. But when I removed the filter a small amount of water came out.

What do the codes mean?
Should I tear into the drain pump?

Offline Double L

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 11:54:43 AM »
Drain pump has enormous flow, actually flows way more than what I was expecting, like a garden hose maybe even a bit more than a regular garden hose. No bubbles or erratic flow, steady Eddie :)

So I am beginning to think that maybe just maybe the wife put the filter in wrong started a cycle and walked away.....  :oops:

Unless the codes I mentioned above mean something terrible?

Offline Double L

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 10:30:57 PM »
I found the diagnostic section that explains why the pump runs on the spin selections. So I am good there. I disassembled the door seal and found a ton of crap caked in the machine. Pulled apart the drain to the filter then to the pump... full of garbage looking soapy gunky crap. I cleaned and cleaned an cleaned some more.

Now the pump sounds awesome. I made a mix of baking soda and vinegar and ran it through the machine on tub clean cycle. The water on the first wash was terrible. Super dirty. I got info for correct soap amounts and type from here and that will help tremendously in the future preventing this buildup.

Did the sanitation wash after that with some bleach and now the machine is working super!

I believe that when the wife put the pre filter back in it was not in correctly and had gunk all over the seal and threads. No signs of leakage from inside the machine anywhere, only on the face near the prefilter compartment. So I believe the machine is good to go now.

If anyone would care to explain the codes shown when I enter test mode I'm all ears. Oh and maybe how long the lifespan of the drain pump is? 

Offline john63

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 11:34:00 PM »
<<<I believe that when the wife put the pre filter back in it was not in correctly>>>

Not an uncommon thing to see---on warranty calls.

Drain Motors have an average service life of 60 months (5 years)

Symptoms of a failing Drain Motor include...

Noisy when running

Intermittent "OE" error

Slow Drain---then fast drain---then slow again

No drain at all and "OE" error.

<<<They look like this-  ld04  lnA2   Lu05>>>

Not error messages.

Software ID/Check Digits---normal
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 11:35:48 PM by john63 »

Offline Double L

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2014, 04:39:21 PM »
Cool thanks John63. I figured the messages were some type of status call outs or version numbers or whatever, because the washer was working great.

Thanks for the info on the drain motor, and I'm sort of glad to hear that it is common to find the pre filter installed wrong. Wife had good intentions and found the info somewhere online, just some gunk in the hole made it all turn out wrong :)

Again, thanks for the info!

Over flow problem solved - thanks to you

Started by woody

Replies: 4
Views: 2752
Last post October 21, 2007, 03:54:50 PM
by Pegi
Maytag Frontloader bearing replacement

Started by mattD110td5x

Replies: 2
Views: 4479
Last post October 11, 2007, 04:41:26 PM