Author Topic: Adjusting the fill volume in a Neptune  (Read 808 times)

Offline def

• VIP Member
  • I'll fix anything...sometimes, I'm successful.
Adjusting the fill volume in a Neptune
« on: July 02, 2013, 10:17:29 AM »
I have opened My MAH4000 Neptune washer several times during the wash cycle to add an item. I notice that the water level appears low (to me). The fill level is well below the lip of the washer drum. Is there a way to adjust the fill level to increase the wash water level? If so, where should the water level be? Also, I assume that the fill level remains constant regardless of the load size?

Any of you experts out there, I await your replies.  :thanks:

You non-experts, chime in if you have an idea or comment.  :welcome:

And to all, I wish you a safe 4th of July. I gotta get the BB ribs started on the BGE. :cheers:

I used to repair RADAR then they discontinued vacuum tubes. Pity

Online theoldstoveguy

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: Adjusting the fill volume in a Neptune
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 11:57:32 AM »
At the deepest point it is only about 6-7 inches deep. I have one and did Maytag Red Carpet as well as Priority One service, never saw one fill more than that.

Offline def

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 12:41:22 PM »
At the deepest point it is only about 6-7 inches deep. I have one and did Maytag Red Carpet as well as Priority One service, never saw one fill more than that.

Hmm. I wonder if there is a way to increase the fill volume? It seems that a little more water depth would enhance the washing efficiency. Yes, it would put a bit more load on the drive system and it would increase water use somewhat but, I think it would be positive to have more water in the drum during wash. As for rinsing, with 3 rinses (and a selectable optional 4th rinse) rinsing is not an issue.

Anyone?  :please:

:thanks:

:popcorn:

Offline bigbuck

• Technician
  • over 30 years repairing appliance
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 03:06:45 PM »
Using water depending on load.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

Offline Spannerwrench

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 05:04:41 PM »
If you're not having washability problems then you shouldn't be concerned with the water level.

Offline def

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 05:47:48 PM »
If you're not having washability problems then you shouldn't be concerned with the water level.

Well, I'm a tinkerer so, I want more water (I think). If we were always satisfied with the way things worked, nothing would ever get better.

Online theoldstoveguy

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 06:47:19 PM »
If it were any other company than Maytag I would say go for it. But since it is a Maytag the engineers were better than most. When they sold these machines they were NOT energy rated water savers for the rebates and the others were. Could it be because you are looking at a larger tub and at a slope? All the others were horizontal, Maytag had a slope.

Offline Bailey

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 11:43:45 PM »
You really only need enough water to dissolve the detergent and make a soapy slurry mixture to spread through the clothes. Extra water won't get them any cleaner.You need three things to wash clothes, A chemical action=detergent.A thermal action=hot or warm water. And a mechanical action=agitation.Front loaders work good. All that extra water in the old top loaders was just used as a means to get the clothes to roll over.

Offline def

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 10:25:05 AM »
OK you guys.........I'll leave the water level where the engineers set it. Case closed.   :thanks:

PS: Do you have your ribs on the Bar B-Q yet? Is the beer cold?  :cheers:  Better get busy. 

Offline def

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2013, 03:11:18 PM »
Just so you know and realize I am mostly on top of things, I just put the homemade, top secret dry rub on three racks of baby pork ribs and they are now soaking up all that spice.

The Dos Equis and Yuengling are chilled in the fridge outdoors.

Mom is about to make the potato salad.

I'm thawing some chickens for the smoker for tomorrow's cookoff.

I have prepared some maple wood and hickory wood for the Big Green Egg smoker from the trees on my property.

I have gone on a diet in preparation for tomorrows feast.

Anybody wanna come by for a snack? You'll be able to find the house by the smoke and the smells.

A safe and happy 4th to all.

Hmmmmmmmmm....I better go out to the garage and spin up the Neptune in preparation for some smoky, greasy clothes.

Offline def

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2013, 12:34:04 PM »
If it were any other company than Maytag I would say go for it. But since it is a Maytag the engineers were better than most. When they sold these machines they were NOT energy rated water savers for the rebates and the others were. Could it be because you are looking at a larger tub and at a slope? All the others were horizontal, Maytag had a slope.

The angled tub on the Neptune has some advantages as well as some drawbacks. The tumble of the wet clothes during wash is not as effective in the angled tub. However, there are mechanical advantages to the angled design (reduced bearing load, improved balance during spin). By angling the tub, a larger drum is possible while keeping cabinet size small. More water usually means improved washing performance, hence the reason for increasing wash water volume at the outset of wash cycle fill. And yes, I agree that the chemicals play a role in wash performance. And hot water can help. As most of you know, I have no hot water where my resurrected "hot rod" Neptune washer is installed (in the garage with the motorhome, BMW motorcycle, two cars and the mower). However, I lay the garden hose on the concrete drive to heat the water during fill from the hose. The hose is 75 feet so, I do get some nice hot water depending on SRI (solar radiation intensity).

As mentioned, I am a tinkerer, always have been and unlike most of you folks, I do not earn my living performing appliance repair. As such, I bow to your knowledge, skill and experience.

BTW, my ribs are just about ready for the first mop of Bar-B-Q sauce....homemade, secret recipe, of course. Sorry, I cannot divulge the ingredients.

Just think, centuries ago, based on a resolution authored by Richard Lee of Virginia,  the 2nd Continental Congress declared independence from the British in the document we know as the Declaration of Independence.

Happy and safe 4th to all and thank you Mr. Lee and Virginia.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 12:36:31 PM by def »

donate
$1, $2, $5, $10, $20, $50

maytag neptune front loader wont drain and now wont fill with water and spin

Started by tmcleary

Replies: 1
Views: 1242
Last post September 04, 2012, 05:42:32 PM
by Bailey
Maytag Neptune washer MAH4000AWW

Started by Sue