Author Topic: My customer's 5 year-old Haier fridge drain pan overflow with defrost water  (Read 1894 times)

Offline shillion

• Technician
  • I have been repairing appliances since 1983
The Haier fridge model RRTG18PABW,has a drain pan sitting on top of the compressor.This pan accumulates water and overflows every 4 days after it was emtied with a turkey baster.The door gaskets are sealing well,the condenser fan is running with the compressor.I am thinking too much air is going inside the fridge.But I cannot find where the air is coming from.I was thinking of installing a drain pan heater,or making it defrost every 3 hours instead of every 6 or 8 hours. Any body has encountered similar problem?Please help!

Offline domain

• Technician
evaporation should be taking place here.... have good airflow in the machine compartment (Compressor/condensor/fan)?

Offline shillion

• Technician
Hello Domain,the usual things such as the condenser fan,door gaskets,airflow,are good.The temperatures are good as well.I am thinking about the defrosting timer.If the fridge missed defrosting regularly(which is not likely),there could be too miuch water in the drain pan.Thats why I was thinking about making it defrost more often.I will have to observe it a bit longer before I take the next step.Thanks for your advice,Domain.

Offline tgoods

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
There's a condenser fan?  Whenever I've seen a drain pan on a compressor, it's been with a static cooled condenser. Make sure the pan is tight on the compressor.  Try adding some thermal mastic between the pan and compressor.

Offline shillion

• Technician
Hello Tgoods,there is a condenser fan and the drain pan is sitting on top of the compressor,& there's no static condenser on the back.Do you think more frequent defrosting can eliminate the water overflowing problem?I still wonder why suddenly this problem shows up.Is it because it runs longer because of hotter weather?I will post results of my observations later.

Offline tgoods

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
I think it's from a poor heat transfer between the compressor and the pan.  Take the pan off and apply some thermal mastic. I would do this before messing with the defrost cycle.

Offline shillion

• Technician
Hello Tgoods,I didn't think it would be a good idea to make it defrost more often.I would get some good heat conductive putty to make better heat transfer.Will go back to see my customer soon.Thanks!

Offline shillion

• Technician
Hello everybody,it's been one month and there's been no more overflow of defrost water..So the door gasket gap was the cause of too muh frost on the evaportor.No more treatment iuds required.Thanks for everyboidy's suggestions.

Whirlpool fridge needs defrost drain tube cleared

Started by pelike

Replies: 4
Views: 4892
Last post January 08, 2010, 08:45:47 PM
by JWWebster
Defrost Drain Tube on Roper Fridge

Started by oly321

Replies: 1
Views: 3771
Last post July 07, 2010, 10:06:03 AM
by JWWebster
Repair Guide: Whirlpool Refrigerator - Water in bottom of fridge under drawers.

Started by AJ

Replies: 3
Views: 86253
Last post July 08, 2007, 12:04:06 PM
by curtis
Video: How to clear a Whirlpool made Refrigerator Defrost Drain Tube.

Started by AJ

Replies: 2
Views: 18987
Last post August 11, 2007, 09:38:43 AM
by AJ
Whirlpool fridge water dispenser

Started by dragonlady74

Replies: 1
Views: 2810
Last post July 10, 2008, 10:30:31 AM
by Repair-man
Kenmore Fridge 25368832792 defrost prob