Author Topic: APPLIANCE repair advertising,Yext sucks  (Read 3332 times)

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: APPLIANCE repair advertising,Yext sucks
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2013, 08:05:40 PM »
Try Yelp.com

Offline stocpro47

• Technician
    • SRW APPLIANCE
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2013, 09:51:19 PM »
thanks for advice on angies list and building business,i will get t shirts made up,im not a big talker so its harder to get my biz in peoples faces but ill have to push myself

Offline andersenappliance

• Technician
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2013, 08:47:50 PM »
For shirts, you might look into these.  They are cheap, and the collar is professional.  Plus you can get 'em to put a name and logo on them.

Get a good website.  Yext is just signing you up with everyone.  Like Web-based yellow pages, nobody will find you unless they are using the yellowpage website.  Yext just gets money for getting you free listings.

People have found Yelp and Angies list to work, so they go there and look.  Just like google searching.  They go there.

Nobody logs onto manta or yext to do their search.

Exhaust your free business listings, if they link back to your good website, and your website will rank higher in search engines.  Otherwise, it is just a crap shoot.

Look up Search Engine Optimization if you have a website.  If you don't, get one first.

Offline stocpro47

• Technician
    • SRW APPLIANCE
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2013, 01:31:19 PM »
thanks for advice             ive had that happen where a customer called from a paid service,only to also call me from a free advertiser,,,so its like a waste,,,i had the t shirts printed,,ill check into these collar shirts    but its still scary slow here in long island ny no matter what i do,im hoping sept will bring a change,,,long island ny has been in a slump for awhile now,,,,,,,when people talk about starting a biz or buying a house      you hear the phrase"anywhere but ny"     ive heard that now for 8 years,,,,,,,cost of living here is just outrageous !!

• Technician
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2013, 03:59:11 PM »
I'm toughing it out too, in a new area.

If you have time, you should print out flyers and deliver them.

It might be scraping the bottom off the barrel - marketing wise, but it is effective.

I've been getting about 1-2% response rate.  Which if I recall, is average for any advertising.

It takes time, shoe leather, and a bit of ink from your printer, but every response helps build word of mouth.

Plus, just having the flyer on the door flushes out those who have been having a problem, but have not yet been motivated enough to call yet.

Offline stocpro47

• Technician
    • SRW APPLIANCE
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2013, 06:36:11 PM »
yes i was going to try flyers next,,,,,i have in the past for another business i had and they did work,but nothing amazing,,,,,,,,,,,,just so you know i just put up pro made bandit signs at all the most active intersections around here,about 35  on telephone poles,,,,,that was 3 weeks ago,i checked and 95% are still up but i didnt get 1 call!!!!!hundreds of people had to read it,,,makes no sense

• Technician
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2013, 07:10:27 PM »
What do the signs look like?

The wording, graphics, fonts and everything must be tailored to the medium.

I've seen mobile guys like us and locksmiths waste money putting their address block on their vans.

I've seen too many yard sale signs that were so detailed you could not read them as you pass the corner.

For signs on posts, it should be just business name, service offered, and phone number.  No area code, or if there is doubt in you area, perhaps the first number of the area code.  That works a shorthand for the whole area code.

People who are driving by will still need to see the sign a few times before they get the number down.  Once or twice to see the service offered (and realize they need it) and once or twice to note the number.  Then again to get the number right.  That's why you need the business name.  They can get that right the first try and look it up elsewhere.

At any rate, you probably won't have a call from signs until the first week is out.

Offline stocpro47

• Technician
    • SRW APPLIANCE
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2013, 05:38:24 AM »
well telephone signs i had made are to the point and not cluttered               when you you do the flyers,how many do you put out at 1 time.......500             1000?

i also put my cards out  at 2 chinese take outs,and 4 hardware stores

• Technician
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2013, 11:32:58 PM »
I am putting my flyers out, door to door, in lower middle class neighborhoods - I think.  I am putting them out.  I have not done 1000, but I have done 100 in one day.  It took me about an hour to an hour an a half.

I print 25 pages of flyers, 4 flyers to a page, and cut 'em with a razor.  I'd say every time I go out, I get one call that gets me a small job, and one call that does not return anything (yet).

I'm still experimenting, but since I'm not working too hard, I have time for the flyers.

Have you looked into Craigslist?  You can run ads in both "household services" and "skilled trades" under services offered.  I run an ad on mondays, wednesdays and fridays.  You can renew the ads every 48 hours at one click.  So that is something I do over coffee.

I did it this morning, and got one call. 

She had me check her oven (dead - control NLA), her disposal (freed it up and hit reset, + showed her how to do it), installed a new thermostat for her furnace (and will come back the check actual furnace if needed) and replaced the thermocouple in her water heater.  She paid me cash.

Not bad for a click on craigslist.

Some of this stuff just takes discipline.  It might not help now, right away.  But every customer you take good care of will recommend you.  Pretty soon we'll all be like wedgeman.

Wedgemandersen Appliance:  It might sound clumsy, but I like the ka-ching in the background!

:cheers:

Offline stocpro47

• Technician
    • SRW APPLIANCE
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2013, 06:33:33 AM »
ive  had good luck with craigslist    so i do use it,,,,,,,i did finally get 1 job from the telephone pole signs........a lid switch on ge washer.............otherwise,very slow week,,,will try the flyers next,and pray sept brings a change in biz!  i also find that lower mid class areas are better for biz,,,,,mid class and upper class sucks,,,,,,,too many service contracts and newer appliances

Offline jason1979g

• Technician
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2013, 07:21:16 PM »
how do you enter your own words and phases into adwords express?

• Technician
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2013, 09:14:56 PM »
I haven't used adwords express, and I am not currently using adwords, but when I do go back to adwords, I will not use adwords express. 

You really need to do the real adwords, and the research that goes along with it.  Any "express" version cuts down your options while increasing your cost.  It does not matter if it is trains, buses, or Taco Bell.  Express is corporate speak for "give us your money, you lazy ignorant cash cow!"  (No offense).

On the other hand,  my flyers seem to be expanding exponentially.  I'm still getting 1-2 percent response from recent flyer distribution, but I'm still getting more calls from distributions from three weeks ago.

Hey,  whatever it takes.

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2013, 07:33:59 PM »
I have been using Adwords from Google for 2 weeks and so far 1 service call from them. Cost only $187.00+ so far. Many clicks ( and charges) and no calls. I will give it another 2 weeks and then see. Got 4 calls from YELP this week and cost $0.

Offline jason1979g

• Technician
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2013, 08:30:44 PM »
I have been using Adwords from Google for 2 weeks and so far 1 service call from them. Cost only $187.00+ so far. Many clicks ( and charges) and no calls. I will give it another 2 weeks and then see. Got 4 calls from YELP this week and cost $0.

oldstove, i have had the same experance using adwords from google. spent $100.00 and only gotten one call. i have turned it off, not worth it IMHO.

Online schleven

• Technician
    • www.katy-appliance-repair.com
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2013, 10:51:18 PM »
Adwords works well for me. That said, i am adwords certified. In a previous job a company spent three months training me on it.  It is hard to get right.
The main thing to keep in mind is using the right keywords and the right options. Way too complicated to get into here.
I find that yelp works very well too.  You can also advertise cheaply on yelp.
Iusually get more bang for my buck with yelp, but adwords is more consistent.
If i am having a slow day, i turn on my adwords with the mobile version from my phone. If i spend 30 bucks or so, i almost always get 3 to 4 calls.
"It's not what happens to you, it's what you do about it"

Wanted: GE factory authorized appliance repair service technician

Started by AJ

Replies: 2
Views: 6410
Last post December 19, 2007, 01:25:48 AM
by BrntToast
Special Appliance Repair Tools and Test Equipment

Started by AJ

Replies: 1
Views: 3398
Last post November 16, 2007, 08:40:52 PM