Author Topic: washer repair getting too slow??  (Read 429 times)

Offline stocpro47

• Technician
    • SRW APPLIANCE
washer repair getting too slow??
« on: June 30, 2013, 11:59:23 AM »
anybody noticing a slow down in service calls??i know its summer but i dont remember things slowing down this much!!bad economy or people just buying new?any input?

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: washer repair getting too slow??
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 04:06:35 PM »
Every year right after school gets out calls drop about 30%. Then the kids are home all day and then machines break and off we go again. I just see a slow down in general in repairs. I use to repair 95% of the machines when I started 35 years ago. Now about 55% repair 45% condemned.

Offline stocpro47

• Technician
    • SRW APPLIANCE
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 06:18:51 PM »
really appreciate advice,i get a bit nervous because after being a tv repair man for 30 years i had to jump ship into appliance repair due to low cost of tvs,nobody was repairing them,plus many had cracked screens which is not cost effective to repair,for awhile i had a great biz!im just hoping i didnt go from one sinking ship to another

Offline Wedgeman55

• Technician
  • Man vs Appliance - Never give up, Never surrender
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 03:56:21 AM »
I haven't slowed down at all this year,  but I suppose it depends on your location.    I live in a heavily populated area,  and there is plenty of work.  + I have a huge customer base,  and someone is always having a problem with something.   I would say I probably repair still about 95 percent of the machines I work on.     Been getting alot of icemakers,  refrigerator calls.    I work on alot of higher end stuff that they will fix rather than throw out.   I talk to most guys at the parts place,  most of them in this area are very busy right now.    Only a few are slow.   

Tomorrow,  for instance,  I have 3 icemaker calls,  4 refrigerator either leaking or frozen calls,  3 dryer no heat calls,   A jenn aire cooktop screwed up, and an oven door glass.     Right now,  I have a backlog of parts waiting calls at about 24.    Plus another 23 I have promised for tuesday or wednesday.   I'm actually hoping that tomorrow is slow call wise,  with the 4th coming.    I don't want to get too backed up.   I worked 6 hours saturday *(would have worked more but had to work my other job or my hobby lets say)  and about 8 hours Sunday.     So right now,  that's 59 outstanding calls as of this moment.  + whatever comes in starting tomorrow morning.     

Stoc, how do you market yourself?  Maybe that is the question you need to address.    If you do it properly,   I think you will make yourself immune to the economy.   Hey,  if your fridge goes,  you have to fix it.   Hard to live without it or a stove.    Or a washer or dryer.   I also do alot of disposals.  I also have alot of people working for me,  Electricians, plumbers, handymen,  realtors,  etc.   They give my name out all the time.    I also have the president of one of the local labor unions that has given my name out at least to 30 people.   This kind of stuff helps.   
Commercial Laundry repair Tech and Installer  1973 to 1980
Service Manager / Technician Commercial Laundry repair company 1980 to 2002
Refrigeration - HVAC - Boiler School 1974-1976
Electronic School 1978-1979
Self Employed Appliance Repair Company 2002 to present

Offline stocpro47

• Technician
    • SRW APPLIANCE
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 08:00:07 AM »
thanks,alot of good advice,,,mainly i have a web site set up with google search and i also used search engine sites like manta and yext,,location does make a big difference and long island where i am is in a big slump.tons of "for rent" stores..the only thing i find surprising is that you repair so many ice makers??unless your doing commercial stuff for restaurants?

Repair Guide: Whirlpool Direct Drive Washer - No agitate or spin

Started by AJ

Replies: 13
Views: 25278
Last post January 02, 2009, 01:09:38 PM
by AJ
Kenmore washer by whirlpool, slow spin

Started by deemessingup

Replies: 2
Views: 4135
Last post November 12, 2007, 02:47:14 PM
by deemessingup
Whirlpool washer LSQ9030PQ5 spins slow or not at all.

Started by rjs

Replies: 3
Views: 3945
Last post December 19, 2007, 01:17:28 AM
by BrntToast
whirlpool washer model LXR9245EQ1- won't drain-slow spin

Started by fixmeplz

Replies: 2
Views: 5455
Last post January 16, 2008, 10:13:02 PM
by JWWebster
neptune washer- machine control board repair