Author Topic: on GE washer on the motor can someone tell me on the 5 wires what are they  (Read 4313 times)

Offline bcn2000

• VIP Member
looking for info on the motor wiring
what is RED for
what is Black for
what is Yellow for
what is white for
and
what is gray for

i guess one is like hot wire
comman wire
and i guess the other are for speed ? not sure
looking for help on what they are
Thanks

Model WWA5600GAL

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
I know how to bench test this motor to see if it is OK. This motor relies on the timer to reverse polarity in order to make it run in a different direction. Looking at the motor on the bench the quick plug has 3 pins on the left and 2 pins on the right. To see if the motor is good YOU must act as the relay and the timer.How? This is the old school way, be very careful. You must have 2 (125v) test cords. Each test cord will have a small rubber insulated alligator clip on each wire. Attach one suicide cord to the top left pin and the bottom right pin. Attach the other cord to the bottom left pin and top right pin. Make sure neither cord's clips can come into contact with each other. Insert both cords into a power outlet simultaneously and immediately remove one of the test cords( I always remove the one in my right hand). The motor should be going if it is OK. Test 2: reversing the motor. Unplug the remaining lamp cord and let the motor come to a complete screaching halt. The first cord you unplugged( in your right hand) flip it  over so that it will go into the power the other way and get ready. Next, insert both power cords in together as before and quickly remove the one you flipped. The motor will now be running in the opposite direction. Be careful. I would love to make a movie to show you how this is done. It is facinating how the older guys did it.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 10:09:12 PM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline bcn2000

• VIP Member
Thanks for that info

i took the motor out so its on my bench

so on the plug to the motor has the

red
Black
yellow
white
gray

so to test it on the bench

where does the white / common wire from 120v test lead wire go to ???
once i hook up one - then can i test each lead with the black/ hot side of my test plug to each lead on the motor to see what they do ???
 i guess there should be 2 speeds (( i guess )) and revers is the other one

but i need the help to know where the (( common wire from test lead )) go on Motor to to test it

THANK U
Bj

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
your 2 test cords criss cross each other. Their are 2 sets of windings. I had 2 old lamp cords with very small insulated aligator clips. The cords were fixed so that they would plug into power either way easily. I had a power strip bolted down at the old shop. I have not got the same setup here at my new shop because I have not been testing motors everday like I was when I was in the appliance parts business. basically you criss cross both power cords and hook nothing to the middle terminal. you energize both cords and remove one of them imediately(I always yank out the one in my right hand). The timer actually determines which direction the motor is gonna go by changing polarity. You can do the same by flipping over the cord in your right hand and pushing both cords in like before. Please note: The motor must be stopped before reversing the leads.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2008, 02:13:55 PM by JWWebster »
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
The wiring diagram on this ancient machine is inside the top console. The motor lead connections are explained there.  You likely have a timer problem. Timer cam #4 is the motor reversing switch.
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline bcn2000

• VIP Member
OK still not sure

so the white wire is comman
then i guess Black is hot

so what other wires do i hook up too ?
and which one gets hook up first ?

and do to its just 120v i can use the same common (white wire) or
is there another comman on it ?

so what color wires are hooked up first (hot and comman ) ?

and then what are the next 2 wires get hooked up for (hot and comman ) ?

and once it starts i unplug the first or hook up the other pair and than unhook the first ones ??

and its old but it did not have a diagram in it just my luck lol

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
According to the GE washer manual for your model, checking the motor is a matter of OHMin g it out with your meter, no voltage checks are necessary. If the motor windings show good, something else (timer) is causing the problem.  GE says to set the meter on  RX100 OHMS and check for continuity on each winding. Use the chart below to see the windings:

I also carry the GE manual if you can't find one locally.
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
Since the machine has a quick plug their is no wiring to have to do. All you have to do is plug it in right? What is the problem with the machine?
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Video: Whirlpool Washer Motor - Bad connection..

Started by AJ

Replies: 3
Views: 1801
Last post July 29, 2013, 06:32:05 PM
by AJ
Video: Whirlpool Made Direct Drive Washer Motor Coupler Replacement

Started by AJ

Replies: 18
Views: 37761
Last post May 18, 2010, 06:53:50 AM
by gimpyjones
Maytag washer how to check motor?