Ran into an electric dryer, wouldn't run. Pulled pigtail out a little, checked voltage - 248. Checked everything, no bad wires, nothing. Then, for the hell of it, clamped meter leads on pigtail leads near terminal block. Meter read 248. When I pressed start button, voltage went to zero.
Turned out, the wire connections in a junction box leading to the 30 amp fuse box near dryer was heavily corroded. I repaired all of wiring, and then it worked fine.
Something to think about incase you run into the same thing. I have run into stuff like this before, but it makes you aware that you have to make sure you are checking voltage under a load to find something like this. Or it will just drive you crazy.