365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy!  ·  AppliancePartsPros.com
Washer Parts  ·  Dryer Parts  ·  Refrigerator Parts  ·  Dishwasher Parts  ·  Range & Oven Parts  ·  All Appliance Parts 

Author Topic: New member spreading lies about our site, what do you think?  (Read 325 times)

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
This morning I received a few reports about a new members sending this PM out to other members of our forum.

Hi,

I have been watching these DIY appliance repair forums for a while now, and it seems must of the posts are appliance service professionals looking for help from other appliance service professionals.

I'm sure must of us don't really want to give out all of our secrets for free, so I have created a forum where us professionals can discuss these issues on private.

These DIY forums create "private" tech areas, and then they take your private conversation public if it makes them some money selling parts.  This very forum has done that, moving all the private repair related discussions to the public section.  Not cool!

If you are interested in joining a private tech help forum, and promise to not post information you learn there all over the Web, private message me your email, and a username of your choice and I will set up an account for you  (you should probably choose something different than a previous forum name, so you don't get banned from any current forums)

We also prefer that people making money off parts sells not be in on our forum, since they will take the info and make it public in the name of selling parts.  This includes anyone affiliated with parts distributors, especially RepairClinic.com, and AppliancePartsPros.com.

Our tech board is private and I only move repair topics to the public boards if I feel it maybe helpful to others.
I have also moved topics from the public boards into our private boards too.

Without public boards it would be difficult to build up any type of membership as people (techs included) would have a difficult time finding us online.

I would also like to address the fact that our site is not just about selling parts, it's about helping each other.

Yes we make some money from parts sales, but believe me it's not as much as you may think. Donations to our site are even less, but any income our site makes helps keep us online.

As I have said before in our forum our site is free to use, but it cost money to keep a site like ours running.

Hope you have found our site helpful.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
Re: New member spreading lies about our site, what do you think?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 07:27:14 AM »
Also I would like to thank everyone that reported this to me, it's very much appreciated.

Offline LowSL2

• Technician
  • Fletch F. Fletch
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 09:19:14 AM »
[RANT]

That guy is an idiot! You really think every American will see this forum and say "Hey look! Here's how I can fix my appliance. I don't need to spend $200 to have someone replace my magnetron. I can do it myself!"  Bull$hit. I would have to say at least 90% of the people out there don't have the mechanical ability to repair their appliances. Its not their fault. They just can't do it. The information we share here doesn't affect our bottom line. If anything, it educates people on how complex our jobs are. And it shows people how much work goes into diagnosing a problem. I think that guy is just greedy, has no concept of how the real world works, and has nothing better to do than sit in front of a computer screen and troll appliance repair sites all day. Go out and turn some wrenches and make a buck or two.

That's my $0.02...

[/RANT]

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

LowSL2
15 Years of Professional Appliance Repair Experience

Offline Bailey

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 09:46:20 AM »
I really like this site. I don't feel like my livelihood is threatened because I help someone who lives in some other part of the country repair their appliance. Heck I don't even care if they are a local competitor. The access to the service manuals has saved my butt more than once. I'll just stay here. And I don't care if AJ makes money. As much time as I'm sure he spends maintaining it, he ought to.

Offline LowSL2

• Technician
  • Fletch F. Fletch
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 09:55:53 AM »
I believe in the spread of information. If I find a way to do a repair that's more efficient, I'm going to tell everyone. If there's a new service pointer or tech bulletin, I'm going to scan it and share it with everyone. More information makes us more efficient, more productive, and will make us more $$$$.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

LowSL2
15 Years of Professional Appliance Repair Experience

Offline bigbuck

• Technician
  • over 30 years repairing appliance
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 12:48:54 PM »
Here lately I have been very busy to get on everyday, I find this forum site very useful when needed.  I continue to help when available. I think its a great site & very useful. Keep it going aj, don't let these idiots talk crap.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

Online RAH52

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 05:37:37 PM »
I've been on this forum for 5 years and even though I was an experienced tech whe I came aboard ,I have learned so much .Thanks to all the techs who take the time to help and kudos to AJ for the hours and hours he puts into this site .

Offline andersenappliance

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2013, 06:35:53 PM »
I'm happy to be here.  I think that this is a good service, and it is very useful to me - it helps me give my customers better service.

Not everybody wants to fix their own stuff.

It seems kinda bad taste to use another person's board to badmouth him while using his work to set your own board up.  But it seems that courtesy is not what it used to be.

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2013, 06:40:09 PM »
I hope they are not still a member, Why give them information only to be used by them. I too have been on this forum about 6 years and really like how we help each other as well as the general public. I personally do a lot of advice for my customers on the phone as well. I get a lot of referrals and repeat customers that way. What comes around goes around. Thanks again AJ for this site.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2013, 08:30:49 PM »
I hope they are not still a member,

I decided to ban their account, not so much because of what they said but because of how they used our PM system.
Regardless of what was said I feel they used the PM system to spam our members.

Thanks for all the kind words guys.  O0 :thanks:

Some site changes.

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 41
Last post January 15, 2009, 07:54:09 AM
by AJ
Anyone notice how long our site was down?

Started by AJ

Replies: 7
Views: 83
Last post February 06, 2009, 06:23:15 PM
by AJ
RepairClinic site is down.

Started by AJ

Replies: 1
Views: 34
Last post February 14, 2009, 01:26:36 PM
by whirlpooltech
Are you a member of PSA?

Started by AJ

Replies: 8
Views: 93
Last post December 29, 2009, 11:39:09 AM
by JWWebster
Site Updated: Post comments/problems here.

Started by AJ

Replies: 4
Views: 73
Last post September 06, 2011, 06:43:42 PM
by AJ
How to rank your site in Google Places

Started by blondejon

Replies: 0
Views: 61
Last post January 31, 2013, 09:53:41 PM
by blondejon