Author Topic: Side by Side Kitchenaid refrigerator evaporator  (Read 1012 times)

Offline FAMG68

• VIP Member
Side by Side Kitchenaid refrigerator evaporator
« on: June 26, 2013, 12:55:49 AM »
I need help troubleshooting a Side by Side Kitchenaid refrigerator model KSSP48QMS01, here is the history;

Display on the RC (refrigerator compartment) did not work, pushing buttons did not have any reaction, fridge was not functioning properly, control board replaced, after board was replaced display started working and then find out that the bi-metal defrost unit was not working either, while waiting for the replacement to be shipped I had the refrigerator running, with some frost accumulating in the evaporator,  at this point I decided to melt the frost with warm water, which I think does not have any undesired effects in performance due to the fact that when the defrost cycle occurs the melted ice runs through out the coils; I replaced the bi-metal defrost and turn the refrigerator on just to find out the next morning that the evaporator was frozen again but only the first coil where the gas enters the coil tubing system and the rest of the coils are warm to the touch, I have run out of ideas. I need help troubleshooting this problem. I have attached a picture of the frosted coil.  :tickedoff:

Thanks

Offline afterblast

• Technician
Re: Side by Side Kitchenaid refrigerator evaporator
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 03:07:31 AM »
when you replaced the bimetal did you put it in the exact same spot the old one was?  it looks like it's on the inflow tube of the evaporator, usually I see those on the outflow... although I haven't worked on a lot of kitchenaids so it could be different...  if your lucky then you've got it on the wrong tube so when it frosts over it triggers a defrost cycle early...   

otherwise usually when I see frost on the inlet to the evaporator and no proper frost pattern it's usually a sign that refrigerant has leaked or other such sealed system problems...

if your sure you put the bimetal in the right spot then I'd try checking the ampdraw on the compressor.. if it's low then it's either leaked, or isn't compressing properly.

Offline domain

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 12:57:18 PM »
Bi metal usually sits on the exaust or end of the evaporator passes/runs but maybe different. I am not sure on the defrost cycle and how its engaged, but the only way i could see it having many defrosts due to placement, would be if the unit relies SOLEY on bi metal to approve/disapprove the defrost cycle, which i doubt.

Offline Spannerwrench

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 01:54:03 PM »
The defrost bi-metal on this model only controls when the heater turns off during the defrost cycle. The automatic defrost cycle is controlled by logic in the control board.  From the looks of the picture and your description you have a leak in the sealed system.

Offline domain

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 02:58:58 PM »
The defrost bi-metal on this model only controls when the heater turns off during the defrost cycle. The automatic defrost cycle is controlled by logic in the control board.  From the looks of the picture and your description you have a leak in the sealed system.

Amen brother!

Offline FAMG68

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 12:12:17 AM »

Yes bi-metal was installed in the same location as the old one.
Thank you all for your input, once I solve the problem I will post the solution. Thanks again   :thanks:
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 12:16:42 AM by FAMG68 »

KAR-10 KitchenAid KA Side x Side Electronic Control Refrigerator Service Manual

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 2006
Last post August 20, 2009, 01:18:20 PM
by AJ
KitchenAid Side-by-Side Refrigerator Cycling Noise

Started by peleliu

Replies: 4
Views: 2989
Last post June 24, 2012, 05:00:18 PM