Author Topic: Bad customer  (Read 1036 times)

Offline mpatten2

• Technician
Bad customer
« on: June 25, 2013, 10:06:18 AM »
Just had my first customer who abandoned an appliance on me. The left me with a 4 year old Kenmore Elite washer, $275 in electronic board and lid switch, and no payment for labor.

What should I do?

Offline LowSL2

• Technician
  • Fletch F. Fletch
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: Bad customer
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 10:24:50 AM »
Do you have a policy for abandoned appliances? Doors your state or county have a law regarding it?

I would part it out or sell it on craigslist to get my money back.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

LowSL2
15 Years of Professional Appliance Repair Experience

Offline gregaguilar

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 11:58:38 AM »
what i do i always ask my customer for parts money always always

Offline go400

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 03:28:31 AM »
Where can you sell the part and at what price?

Offline mpatten2

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 06:12:25 AM »
The "Plan" is to throw myself on the mercy of the parts supplier and try to return the new parts. Then the plan is to part out the rest of the machine and send it to scrap!

Offline Wedgeman55

• Technician
  • Man vs Appliance - Never give up, Never surrender
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 02:26:53 PM »
What happened,  they drop the machine off and left it at your shop?   I only do in home service so I wouldn't have this problem.   Also, any part that my cost is over 50 bucks,  I make them pre-pay for it before I order it.    I also get my service call,   and sometimes figure the labor so I have my money before I put it in.    Example,  I had to put in a ERC on Jenn Air stove,  the timer board,   and charged them for the service call,  labor and board before I ordered it.   Got a check for it,   then came back two days later.    On my invoice,  I state that once special order is placed,   NO REFUND.     For property owners I do busness with alot,   I don't do this,  just order and bill.   I know they are good for money. 
Commercial Laundry repair Tech and Installer  1973 to 1980
Service Manager / Technician Commercial Laundry repair company 1980 to 2002
Refrigeration - HVAC - Boiler School 1974-1976
Electronic School 1978-1979
Self Employed Appliance Repair Company 2002 to present

Offline mpatten2

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 06:28:41 AM »
Rookie Mistake..... The customer asked me to check a Kenmore Elite Oasis out at a rental property. After an initial diagnostic, the board was showing multiple fault codes. I told her it was going to take a couple days to figure out what was going on. She needed to rent the property so she asked me to take the machine.

The board had a power problem (F85). I could not move on with a manual diagnostic until I replaced the board ($200). It then had a lid lock problem (verified by checking the pinnout). I ordered a part for that ($75). Customer was getting squimish at this point. The machine passed all diagnostics and I ran the machine through a full cycle. OL during the spin cycle. The motor checked out good. The Elite is a glorified Cabrio so I deduced it was the bearings ($75). Customer at this point did not want the machine back nor pay for repairs.

I later found out why there were so many problems on this machine. The original problem was an OL (bearings). Instead of fixing the problem her relatives put it on the back porch......for two years. She picked it up to put it in her rental property but thought it was just a single repair.

Offline Wedgeman55

• Technician
  • Man vs Appliance - Never give up, Never surrender
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2013, 03:29:57 AM »
Your problem was taking the machine.   I don't do that.   Ever.    We all make mistakes,  you won't be making that again.    I would have made her pay for the board,  and service call before I proceded.   If she was squemish at that point,    I would have my service call in hand then walked away.    At this point, mpatten,  I would put it on Craigs list and get what I could out of it and cut my losses.     
Commercial Laundry repair Tech and Installer  1973 to 1980
Service Manager / Technician Commercial Laundry repair company 1980 to 2002
Refrigeration - HVAC - Boiler School 1974-1976
Electronic School 1978-1979
Self Employed Appliance Repair Company 2002 to present

Customer Service Phone Numbers

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 1022
Last post May 02, 2009, 10:39:23 PM
by AJ
Customer was anal about doing laundry

Started by wildimaginations

Replies: 7
Views: 1211
Last post May 03, 2013, 05:31:24 PM
by PARTech
Sears, what's happened to customer service?

Started by Bob Anderson

Replies: 10
Views: 2328
Last post June 25, 2013, 09:54:06 AM
by mpatten2