Author Topic: Coin ops do's and dont's?  (Read 768 times)

Offline dentdaddy

• Technician
Coin ops do's and dont's?
« on: June 24, 2013, 09:05:21 PM »
I recently picked up a new apartment complex and they have quite a few coin op units needing repair. These are mostly Frigidaire "commercial" units, although they appear to be the same size as residential machines. Are the parts in these the same as residential washers and dryers? Also, how do you go about cheating the coin mechanism to do your testing/diagnosis?

Thanks in advance.
Good work isn't cheap. Cheap work isn't good.
SW Oklahoma

Offline dentdaddy

• Technician
Re: Coin ops do's and dont's?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 09:12:27 PM »
FYI these are newer style frontload washers.
SW Oklahoma

Offline LowSL2

• Technician
  • Fletch F. Fletch
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 09:26:08 PM »
You need the key to access the coin box. Once its open, you can see the mechanism that turns the washer on without coins. And you can access the bolt that holds the top to the frame (to avoid tampering). They're pretty much like a normal, residential unit. I haven't needed to advance the timer on one yet. I'm sure there's a way to do it by taking the front panel off.

Congrats on the big contract though. O0

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

LowSL2
15 Years of Professional Appliance Repair Experience

Offline Bailey

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 01:28:46 PM »
They are just household washers with a coin box bolted to the top. First chance you get, look into that compartment and see what size deep well socket it will take to remove the nut that holds the top down. I don't now why the bolt is 3 inches long and a lock nut to boot. My biggest problem is the timer by the slot has to be in the right position to send power down to the regular timer. I get a call that the machine won't start. I turn the upper timer until the switch arm falls into the groove on the cam and then the pushbutton will start the machine. I think what happens is the user puts the money in and then loads the clothes. By the time they want to start it the upper timer has advanced past the point where it will allow you to do that. I think this whole set up is makeshift at best.

Online Wedgeman55

• Technician
  • Man vs Appliance - Never give up, Never surrender
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 09:26:53 PM »
To advance timer,   take off security nut,    take 4 screws off back,  and top will slide forward.    It you get to timer shaft,  you can manually advance it by turning timer.    Pain in the ass to go through all that.   The start timer works likes this.    there are numbers on the start mechanism.    You position the white arm on the number of coin throws you want to start.    For example,  if it is on two,  it would take two coin pushes to start machine.   If you had a 75 cent coin slide,  then it would take 1:50 to start.    As it goes around,   you can push the start button to start machine.    When the metal arm is raised up by the white raised coin selector,   the start timer stops.      I have an apartment owner that owns about 10 of these.    Hate doing the bellows on these,  especially if you don't have alot of room to work.  Most of time,  you get stuff jammed into coin boot.    Have to clean out or put in new pump. 
Commercial Laundry repair Tech and Installer  1973 to 1980
Service Manager / Technician Commercial Laundry repair company 1980 to 2002
Refrigeration - HVAC - Boiler School 1974-1976
Electronic School 1978-1979
Self Employed Appliance Repair Company 2002 to present

Offline dentdaddy

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2013, 09:39:13 AM »
Thanks fellas. I've worked on several now, although not the ones I originally posted a question about so that's a plus for me. Apperently "the guy who used to work on them" in my area of 125,000 population isn't doing it anymore...so there's another plus for me.

Anyhow,  do you have a reliable source that you would order coin chutes, coin boxes etc from? I have a coin chute that has the middle screw sheared off and if I can extract screw I'm going to have to replace the chute.
SW Oklahoma

donate
$1, $2, $5, $10, $20, $50

GE Commercial Coin-Op Washer "No high speed final spin"

Started by Shanahan

Replies: 7
Views: 3229
Last post February 02, 2010, 04:44:22 PM
by JWWebster
31-9036 GE Coin-Operated Washers Service Manual

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 574
Last post September 08, 2011, 05:03:31 PM
by AJ
WCCB1030F2WC GE commercial coin operated washer

Started by Bill

Replies: 1
Views: 916
Last post October 08, 2012, 11:27:02 AM
by AJ
coin op maytag MAT12PDBAL wont spin

Started by schleven

Replies: 10
Views: 1104
Last post June 01, 2013, 09:48:58 PM
by schleven
Older Maytag Commercial Coin-op Stopping at Rinse Cycle.

Started by leonleoj

Replies: 4
Views: 866
Last post July 06, 2013, 02:40:29 PM
by theoldstoveguy
Maytag Coin-op washer MVW18CSAWW

Started by hj87123

Replies: 0
Views: 162
Last post March 20, 2014, 05:32:47 PM
by hj87123