Author Topic: Maytag Neptune front load boot shred problem  (Read 1595 times)

Offline Thorning

• VIP Member
Maytag Neptune front load boot shred problem
« on: June 15, 2013, 05:31:00 PM »
I just bought a used Neptune front load washer model MAH8700 AWW in very nice condition but it has started to shread the front boot. Also it maks a lot of noise if I run it in the high speed spin cycle. It is not quite a shrieking noise but more of a thumping noise . Does this sound like a bearing failure ? Also does the boot usually shread when the rotating inner basket  starts making contact with the staionary tub. This machine is very clean and the pulley and belt are like new.
Advice on repairs are requested

Offline tgoods

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: Maytag Neptune front load boot shred problem
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 07:35:17 PM »
I think you have a cracked spider. Rotate the basket until one of the baffles is at 6 o'clock.  Hold the tub steady and pull up on the basket.  Do the same with the other two baffles.  There should almost no movement between the basket and the tub.  The spider is part number is 34001407. It's a big job, requiring a complete disassembly of the washer.

Offline Thorning

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 09:21:00 PM »
I need to get a service manual for this model MAH8700AWW  Maytag Neptune machine that I can download that shows the detail and instructions for the teardown. The s/n of the machine is 10195909GL and I am interested in knowing the age of this unit. Also is the spider replacement a job for a DIY person or does it require a lot of special tools ? I have worked on a lot of gas and electric dryers but not one of these washers . Can someone  point me in the right direction for the service manual ?

Offline tgoods

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 10:38:28 PM »
It's on AJ's google drive but I can't link to it directly.  Go to Laundry Manuals. Ctrl/F and type L2005-004.

Manufactured June 2005.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 10:40:19 PM by tgoods »

Offline Thorning

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 06:33:00 AM »
Thanks for the help . I found the page with the manual but cannot get it to open for review or printing. Is their a step I am missing ? Also did you consider the other part of my question about the difficulty of doing this work ?
Thanks

Offline tgoods

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 10:07:26 AM »
Try these links, Training Manual, Service Manual. No special tools are needed.  The job could take you anywhere from 2 hours to 2 days, depending on your skill level.

Offline Thorning

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 12:14:00 PM »
Thanks for the links to the manuals. I was able to print them for use in my garage. I have a couple of questions relating to this work if you can assist. The boot at the front is starting to shred and will almost have to be replaced. Does the boot have to be removed to be able to get the front panel off ? I am anticipating having to pull the spinner out to check for a damaged /cracked/broken spider support as the spinner appears to be rubbing on the tub section during the spin cycle. I cannot tell from the pictures if the spider support is able to be replaced by itself. If not then the cost of this repair with a new spinner would be prohibitive. The bearings seem to be very smooth and I hope they are not damaged or corroded.
Have you seen this spider cracked or broken and does it result in the spinner rubbing on the tub ? This machine runs great except for the spin cycle when the noise gets very bad --it is a loud thumping type noise. I am afraid to run it at the high speed spin setting for fear it will tear other things up
Thanks,
Tom H

Offline tgoods

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2013, 12:46:03 PM »
I haven't seen a cracked spider on this particular model but it is a common problem with these aluminum spiders.  There's a wire and spring clamp that secures the boot to the front panel.  Just pop it off with a screwdriver. The inner basket and spider are sold separately. A cracked spider can definitely cause the wash basket to rub on the tub.  I've seen extreme cases where it has worn completely through the tub.

Offline Thorning

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2013, 01:35:23 PM »
Thanks for the help. I was hoping the spider was steel and I could weld it if it is cracked. Maybe I will get lucky and find something else. If it is Aluminum it is probably too thin to weld it anyhow. I will keep the  column updated as to progress. I would be happy to send you a gift for your advice which is just what I was looking for. Where are you located ?
Tom H         near Peoria, Illinois

Offline Thorning

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2013, 04:16:42 PM »
thanks for the help again. I took the plunge and dismantled the tub and spinner. Sure enough the aluminum spider was broken almost completely thru about halfway from the center to the edge on 1 of the 3 legs. The spinner or basket was rubbing on the inside of the plastic tub cutting quite a groove which i hope to repair using JB weld epoxy. The bearings are in good shape and I plan on reusing them. Maytag made a part rather flimsy and it probably should have been made of steel for better life. If I could figure out how to get the pictures across the wire I am sure someone else could benefit from my experience.
Cheers

Offline tgoods

• Technician
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2013, 06:41:53 PM »
I would be happy to send you a gift for your advice

I'm glad I could help. If you want, you can buy me a beer by clicking the beer icon under my name. You can also support the site by buying your parts through repairclinic.com or appliancepartspros.com.

Offline Thorning

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2013, 08:05:44 PM »
I will get things in motion for you one way or another. i am really suprised this washer ran so smooth until it got to the spin cycle. And then i am suprised it did not fly apart. Unfortunately the parts required are kind of expensive for a washer that will not bring much more than $300 tops as a used item.

MAYTAG NEPTUNE FRONT LOAD MAH6700AWW NOT WORKING FRUSTRATED

Started by stacy2

Replies: 4
Views: 6742
Last post June 15, 2008, 09:18:30 PM
by stacy2
help with maytag neptune front load washer start but stop after few seconds..

Started by soccerboy

Replies: 4
Views: 4904
Last post August 06, 2008, 06:40:10 AM
by Repair-man
12002533 Maytag Front Load Washer Door Boot

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 3325
Last post April 03, 2009, 08:01:32 PM
by AJ
Maytag Neptune Front Load Door Leak

Started by MajorApp

Replies: 0
Views: 2338
Last post June 01, 2009, 09:47:23 PM
by MajorApp
Maytag Front Load Neptune Washer Banging Noise when Spinning

Started by dkmminc

Replies: 11
Views: 11091
Last post June 17, 2010, 11:05:11 PM
by schaffersapplian
Maytag Neptune Front-load Washer Smoking (MAH8700AWW)

Started by jrossano

Replies: 7
Views: 3119
Last post October 16, 2012, 06:32:33 AM
by tgoods