Author Topic: No hot water source. Problem?  (Read 1016 times)

Offline def

• VIP Member
  • I'll fix anything...sometimes, I'm successful.
No hot water source. Problem?
« on: June 07, 2013, 03:54:38 PM »
So, I have this resurrected Maytag Neptune 4000 model. I had the main board rebuilt. The washer resides in my steel garage here in Dixie along with the motorhome, the two cars, the BMW motorcycle and the riding mower. The washer sits on level concrete and runs fine. I have two questions;

1- I have no hot water to the washer but I do connect both the water hoses to the same garden hose cold water source. I also select warm wash and warm rinse. Any harm in this?
2- During spin cycles, there is some knocking at initial spin up as the drum goes through some imbalance. I suspect that the shock absorbers may be a bit soft. Sometimes, it takes a couple of rebalance events to get the wet load distributed so full spin is achieved. The machine does eventually get to full spin speed. Any comments or suggestions?

:thanks:
I used to repair RADAR then they discontinued vacuum tubes. Pity

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: No hot water source. Problem?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 04:26:44 PM »
Sell the motorcycle and buy a new washer.
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline niobrara

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 06:11:37 PM »
 :popcorn:

Offline def

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 04:31:36 PM »
Sell the motorcycle and buy a new washer.

Now, that's just dumb....

The washer and BMW get along just fine (the BMW doesn't much care for the smelly little 2-stroke weedeater and chainsaw however...but, you know how fussy the Germans are).

The BMW is only 12 years old and gets 45 MPG.....its just broken in. The Neptune runs like a charm so, replacing it would just be, well.....wasteful.

I may buy a small electric water heater however so I have hot water for washing. Any suggestions? I have looked at the tankless ones but, most are junk or, they are expensive and require a high amp circuit.

So, whaddya think?  :thinking:

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 04:58:34 PM »
Cold/Cold is fine to run this machine.
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline def

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 04:54:27 PM »
Hey, I wanted to let you all know, I now have a free hot water source for my old Maytag Neptune 4000...well, the heat is free...I still pay for the water.

As you know, I feed the Neptune with a garden hose which is of course, cold water only. Until today. I strung the hose over the hot driveway in the hot sun and 50 feet of garden hose produces plenty of hot water for the initial fill.

So next, I'm thinking of cobbling together a solar heater for the roof of the garage. Any ideas from you folks out there?

Materials, mounting, design, etc?   :popcorn:

:thankyou:

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 08:35:35 PM »
I remember 35 years ago my Dad wanted a solar panel to help heat the pool. We took 200 feet of 1/2 inch drip irrigation tubing and made 2 crosses with 2 pieces of wood and a small spacer between. Went to the local school and on the soccer field wrapped it. We hooked 2 coils together and if we ran it more than 2 days at a time the pool was 90 degrees. Never used the heater again. It's still on the house and still being used.

Offline def

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 09:07:59 PM »
I remember 35 years ago my Dad wanted a solar panel to help heat the pool. We took 200 feet of 1/2 inch drip irrigation tubing and made 2 crosses with 2 pieces of wood and a small spacer between. Went to the local school and on the soccer field wrapped it. We hooked 2 coils together and if we ran it more than 2 days at a time the pool was 90 degrees. Never used the heater again. It's still on the house and still being used.

Now, that's what I call a smart Dad. Now days, they sell hollow tube fence systems that double as a solar pool heater. Very expensive. Your Dad had the right idea.

I don't quite get the 2 crosses and spacers design. Is the 1/2 inch plastic tube coiled as if it were on a wooden spool?

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 09:56:45 PM »
I came up with the idea after seeing solar tubing and laughed. My Dad was dangerous with a screwdriver in his hand. I got my mechanical from my Grandfather on my Mom's side. You run the tubing in a circular motion using the crosses to hold it in place. Was 3 inches thick looked like an old fashioned lolly pop. (like when you buy copper tubing it comes in a coil 1 end in center and other on outside of coil.) Have 1 end of the hose at the center and the other at the end of the coil and join 2 together. 1 coil would work for yours.

Offline def

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 05:21:54 PM »
I came up with the idea after seeing solar tubing and laughed. My Dad was dangerous with a screwdriver in his hand. I got my mechanical from my Grandfather on my Mom's side. You run the tubing in a circular motion using the crosses to hold it in place. Was 3 inches thick looked like an old fashioned lolly pop. (like when you buy copper tubing it comes in a coil 1 end in center and other on outside of coil.) Have 1 end of the hose at the center and the other at the end of the coil and join 2 together. 1 coil would work for yours.

And, I should just throw it up on the steel roof of the steel garage where the reflected heat from the galvalume steel roof would assist with the heating...brilliant. Thanks stoveguy....

:thanks:

7 month old Whirlpool water leak problem

Started by neustkg

Replies: 2
Views: 1888
Last post June 26, 2009, 06:47:05 PM
by RegUS_PatOff
Maytag Se1000 washer dryer combo water level problem.

Started by baker56

Replies: 4
Views: 592
Last post January 22, 2014, 08:43:27 AM
by baker56
Water Collecting in Boot on Select Frigidaire Front-Load Washers

Started by AJ

Replies: 1
Views: 4417
Last post August 05, 2013, 08:42:08 PM
by Cananot
Video: How To Replace a Water Pump On A Whirlpool Made Direct Drive Washer

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 8413
Last post August 10, 2007, 08:42:54 PM
by AJ
Over flow problem solved - thanks to you

Started by woody

Replies: 4
Views: 2604
Last post October 21, 2007, 03:54:50 PM
by Pegi
How to replace a Maytag - Amana washer water pump and belt.

Started by AJ

Replies: 18
Views: 29009
Last post April 19, 2010, 08:23:29 PM
by JWWebster