365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy!  ·  AppliancePartsPros.com
Washer PartsDryer PartsRefrigerator PartsDishwasher PartsRange & Oven PartsAll Appliance Parts

Author Topic: LG washer - WM2301HR - No Power  (Read 72 times)

Offline Rob2000

• VIP Member
LG washer - WM2301HR - No Power
« on: July 25, 2015, 08:51:10 PM »
Our washing machine has no power.  No lights on the display panel.  No LED on the main board.  No lights etc. when spinning the washer by hand (it would have otherwise lit up and sang a tune). 

My wife tells me that a couple times it had "gone crazy" and the controls would flash different things, but never a recognizable code; by unplugging and plugging back in everything would go back to normal.  But more often than that it would go dead, and it would be fine after unplugging it and plugging it back in.  I wish I had reacted when she told me about it before...maybe I will learn for next time.

I read on this board to check the noise/power filter before changing the main board.  I had no voltage coming out of it; so I replaced it.  I now get power through the filter (measured by pulling red plug on the filter and getting 120V on the top and bottom connectors).  However, still no apparent power anywhere else (I did not measure it anywhere, just no lights etc.).  I checked the main board, and the LED was not lit either).

So, the next thing in line would be to replace the main board right?  Well, I checked another place and someone had changed it and 5 minutes later, a short in the pump fried their new board (~$150).  I don't want to change it twice!

So...what things could potentially cause the power filter and main board to both die?  I would like to know what and how to test before I throw $150 at it.
1) what things could cause such a failure of the noise filter and main board?
2) how can I test them before replacing the board?
3) did the intermittent "crazy" behavior of the control panel indicate the control panel was bad too?  If not, what could that have meant?

Thank you in advance for any advice!

As a side note...how do electronic companies get away with putting $0.50 fuses embedded in $150 boards?  It seems to me this is a dirty move to make everything disposable. 20-30 years ago you would find cheap plastic holders inline with the wires that would allow you to replace them.  I feel like starting a movement, but will need a good acronym.  Best I have is Consumers for Reparable Appliance Parts (CRAP); any thoughts?

Offline wildimaginations

• Technician
Re: LG washer - WM2301HR - No Power
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 11:09:32 PM »
Good luck with C.R.A.P. 

As for the machine, you will need to ohm out the drain pump circuit to see if there is a short in the circuit. If so, replace the drain pump.  Also check the water valve circuits and the door latch circuits for any shorts as well.
Appliance Service Technician
Authorized servicer on LG appliances.
About 45 mins east of San Francisco

Offline john63

• Technician
Re: LG washer - WM2301HR - No Power
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 02:15:26 AM »
<<< Our washing machine has no power.  No lights on the display panel.  No LED on the main board. >>>

Indicates a failed Main Board (and sometimes a failed Noise Filter as well)

<<< a couple times it had "gone crazy" and the controls would flash different things, but never a recognizable code; by unplugging and plugging back in everything would go back to normal. >>>

Another indication that the Main Board is damaged.

In many cases---there's a noticeable spark when the washer is plugged in again (sometimes an ozone odor is present)

<<<I read on this board to check the noise/power filter before changing the main board.  I had no voltage coming out of it; so I replaced it.  I now get power through the filter (measured by pulling red plug on the filter and getting 120V on the top and bottom connectors).  However, still no apparent power anywhere else (I did not measure it anywhere, just no lights etc.).  I checked the main board, and the LED was not lit either).>>>

Further evidence of a "dead" Main Board

<<< So, the next thing in line would be to replace the main board right? >>>

Yes

<<< Well, I checked another place and someone had changed it and 5 minutes later, a short in the pump fried their new board (~$150). >>>

That would be uncharacteristic and highly unusual---in an LG washer.

Almost *never* occurs.

The symptoms though (losing power/erratic control panel behavior/needing to unplug/re-plug)---are common enough to be recognized by anyone that is familiar with LG front load washers.

<<< I wish I had reacted when she told me about it before...maybe I will learn for next time. >>>

When the erratic behavior symptoms first materialized---the Main Board was already failing/compromised.

Acting sooner/earlier *might* have saved the Noise Filter.

This symptoms you've described---are usually caused by a failing/shorting relay on the Main Board (intermittent function)

<<< As a side note...how do electronic companies get away with putting $0.50 fuses embedded in $150 boards?  It seems to me this is a dirty move to make everything disposable. >>>

The rubberized coating on the Main Board---protects the components from moisture and continuous exposure to vibration (spin cycles)

Without it---the life expectancy would be reduced (moisture damage/capacitors shaking/breaking off)

« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 02:18:56 AM by john63 »

WM2301HR Front Loading LG Washer NO POWER

Started by KLM219

Replies: 12
Views: 4385
Last post September 03, 2012, 03:55:40 AM
by Darrenschmidt@hotmail.com
GE washer no power

Started by netdogg3

Replies: 0
Views: 2563
Last post October 27, 2008, 01:34:00 PM