Author Topic: Samsung RFG297 cooling problem  (Read 1047 times)

Offline jamesewells

• VIP Member
Samsung RFG297 cooling problem
« on: June 03, 2013, 08:13:58 AM »
My tech and I have been battling an intermittent problem with my Samsung fridge. Intermittently, the freezer, fridge section, or both, will stop cooling. Compressor continues to run, fans run, etc. Unplug for 5 minutes and restarting has no effect. After about a day or so, the fridge will return to 34 degrees and shortly after that the freezer will return to 4 below. It will continue to work perfectly for a day, or a couple of weeks, or months. Since this problem began, the compressor has been noisy (at least to me), buzzing, gurgling and generally making strange noise. This continues whether it is cooling or not. During conversations with Samsung, my tech has repaired a leak in one of the copper lines and added freon, changed the inverter valve (did nothing), and finally Samsung said to replace the entire sealed system. My tech is reluctant to do this because he isn't sure it needs to be done, plus he doesn't want me to have to spend all of that money and the problem not be solved. (The sealed system is still under warranty, but my tech no longer does Samsung warranty work). The nearest Samsung repair person is 75 miles away, and I don't have the stomach to restart the whole process with someone new, plus, I know everything will be working just fine when the Samsung guy arrives. I'm about to put it out on the curb for trash pickup but thought I would try here for some suggestions that my tech might try. Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions!

Online tgoods

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: Samsung RFG297 cooling problem
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 09:49:16 AM »
It does sound like a sealed system problem.  Since it's intermittent, I think it's a floating restriction from moisture in the system.  How old is the fridge? Was there any work done on the system before the current tech?  It seems unlikely there was moisture in the system from the factory, but I suppose anything's possible. The fix for moisture is a new compressor and drier after a good flush. If you put your french door fridge on the curb, let me know where so I can come and get it.

Offline jamesewells

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 09:52:10 AM »
It does sound like a sealed system problem.  Since it's intermittent, I think it's a floating restriction from moisture in the system.  How old is the fridge? Was there any work done on the system before the current tech?  It seems unlikely there was moisture in the system from the factory, but I suppose anything's possible. The fix for moisture is a new compressor and drier after a good flush. If you put your french door fridge on the curb, let me know where so I can come and get it.

Fridge is 4 years old, I purchased it new. Current tech has done all of the work on it. He is very good, and honest.

Offline wildimaginations

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 09:46:11 AM »
Samsung's sealed system warranty covers both parts and labor.  Call the other tech and see if he can help.  He may already know what the problem is and can deal with it.  Better to check it out whether the unit works or not when they arrive.
Appliance Service Technician
Authorized servicer on LG appliances.
About 45 mins east of San Francisco

Offline jamesewells

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 01:05:49 PM »
Update: Replaced compressor/ flushed system. Thanks to everyone for the great advice. Works perfectly for the past couple of months. A few days ago, I noticed the freezer wasn't cold, refrig is ok. Tech comes out, says unit is low on freon and has a leak. Not a restriction because it will accept additional freon. Working perfectly now. Tech says there is a leak somewhere and would be difficult to find because of freezer coils, refrig coils, etc. Any advice? Tech says to sell it while it's working...

Offline krazytech

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 02:02:59 PM »
Without a cut or rub ..95%  leaks will be at the joints ..( at the joints where the tech brazed) Don't let the tech just add gas.. and walk away... if it is low on gas there is a leak and it must be fixed or it will leak out again...leaks don't fix themselves ever !!  So little gas in this system. a slow and small leak will keep it from cooling..i would call Samsung and have them fix it before your warranty is up..
Check the Basics first!!! Read the Manual !!!Buy the tech a Beer!!!

Offline jamesewells

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 02:05:53 PM »
It's already up...

Offline krazytech

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 02:15:18 PM »
over 5 years old? seal system warranty up... and you can't find a tech that can find the leak....then I would find a tech that will try super seal .  works sometimes..and it looks like you have a small leak..
Check the Basics first!!! Read the Manual !!!Buy the tech a Beer!!!

Problem with Kenmore refrigerator not cooling, but freezer and icemaker are ok

Started by Bigmetalman

Replies: 3
Views: 7421
Last post February 13, 2008, 11:03:25 AM
by Bigmetalman
GE REFRIGERATOR COOLING PROBLEM

Started by PLAYTWO

Replies: 6
Views: 2944
Last post February 01, 2009, 07:47:55 PM
by JWWebster