Author Topic: Frigidaire dryer grinding and droning when heating  (Read 571 times)

Online Joey_Bullock

• VIP Member
Frigidaire dryer grinding and droning when heating
« on: October 16, 2014, 09:55:02 PM »
I'm trying to repair a Frigidaire Commercial dryer Model #GLER341AS2.  It's making a droning sound after about 3 minutes of heating and starts this awful grinding/scraping sound.  The longer it runs, the worse it gets.  It sounds like the noise is coming from the rear part of the drum. 

I checked the rear bearing.  It didn't look to be worn out but I installed a rear bearing kit and drum ball anyway.  I lubed it well and I still had the same problem. 

I've checked the idler roller and belt.  I disassembled the idler roller polished the shaft, and lubed with machine oil before reassembly.

I reluctantly replaced the motor.  I cleaned and checked the blower wheel and blower housing while I had everything apart.  I still have the same problem. 

I removed the rear baffle on the drum and the noise stopped.  I was concerned that the unit would overheat if I ran it very long with the baffle removed.

I reinstalled the baffle and removed the heating element with pan.  No heat but it didn't make any noise.  I noticed that the element and insulators make a tinny, metallic, rattling some if you bump the pan with your hand.  All of the insulators are in place and the element is is in place, clipped to the insulators.  I've considered replacing the heating element with pan but I don't really see a problem with this one.

The felt seals are worn a little and the drum glides look ok.  I cut a strip of thin cardboard about 1 1/2 inch wide and 24 inches long.  I worked it between the top of the felt seal and drum glide.  The noise continued.

I've looked everything over and can't find where anything is worn or rubbing. 

I see some videos on YouTube where they are checking out a Frigidaire dryer with the same noise.  They check thr rear bearing, idler roller, belt and drum seals/glides.  All look good and they say the motor must be defective.  I beg to differ.

I would appreciate any info you could provide to help me fix this problem.

Thank you.   

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Offline rockinrobin

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • Ransom Mobile Appliance Repair Service
Re: Frigidaire dryer grinding and droning when heating
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 01:07:07 PM »
I would run the Dryer using Heat with Door Open (manually press the Door Switch) to hear where the noise is coming from (either front or back).
Heat causes metal to expand which is causing the Noise.
Lubricate the end of rear Drum Bearing with High Temperature Grease and be sure the metal ball is inside the plastic bearing housing.
View the Rear Drum Bearing Kit with High Temperature Grease Photo here http://www.appliancepartspros.com/frigidaire-rear-drum-bearing-5303281153-ap2142648.html

Online Joey_Bullock

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 11:13:20 PM »
I've already installed a rear drum bearing kit and it's thoroughly lubricated with the high temp grease supplied in the kit.

I've also replaced the upper and lower felt seals.

Offline Blaiser

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 06:54:34 AM »
Recheck the motor mounting brackets and screws. I just worked on one yesterday that the owner thought he would try to fix himself. I put it back together and it scraped and grind all over. Took drum out because drum was grinding like you described and found out that the owner did not hook the motor bracket under the frame and the motor was flopping all over when started. Give that a once over to make sure the motor is securely in place.

Online Joey_Bullock

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 10:37:34 AM »
Will do.  Thanks

Online Joey_Bullock

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 05:15:15 PM »
I check the motor mounting screws and the blower mounting screws.  Everything was in place and tight.  I replaced the belt and idler assembly.  It still makes the droning sound after it runs for a while. 

Offline rockinrobin

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 05:38:56 PM »
You mentioned in your 1st post that you removed the rear drum (heater) baffle and the noise stopped.
Be sure all screws are tight on the baffle and heater assembly (check edge of metal on both to be sure it's not bent).
When installing drum, be sure to lift rear part of drum high enough so it slides into plastic bearing housing.

You can order the baffle & heater assembly below and if either doesn't resolve your issue then you can return it for a full refund (minus S&H)
Heater Baffle http://www.appliancepartspros.com/frigidaire-baffle-heater-3204254-ap2131465.html
Heater Assembly http://www.appliancepartspros.com/frigidaire-dryer-heating-element-131553900-ap2107129.html

Online Joey_Bullock

• VIP Member
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2014, 08:49:47 PM »
I think the reason it didn't make the noise with the heater baffle removed was that the air was cool going through the drum and blower because it was somewhat bypassing the heating element.  I noticed that the high limit on the heater pan would open if I ran it very long in that manner.

I installed a new idler and belt to see if that would help since nothing else has so far.  I ran the dryer yesterday for about 5 minutes on air dry/no heat until I heard it start droning and them turned on the high heat dry.  It continued to get louder.  After a few minutes I stopped the machine and slipped the belt off the idler and restarted the dryer.  The noise continued in the motor and blower area without the drum turning.  This is a new motor and the blower wheel doesn't come out of the blower housing, but it's clean and doesn't appear to be rubbing the housing.  It made similar noises with the old motor. 

Offline rockinrobin

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 12:09:08 AM »
I think the reason it didn't make the noise with the heater baffle removed was that the air was cool going through the drum and blower because it was somewhat bypassing the heating element.  I noticed that the high limit on the heater pan would open if I ran it very long in that manner.

I installed a new idler and belt to see if that would help since nothing else has so far.  I ran the dryer yesterday for about 5 minutes on air dry/no heat until I heard it start droning and them turned on the high heat dry.  It continued to get louder.  After a few minutes I stopped the machine and slipped the belt off the idler and restarted the dryer.  The noise continued in the motor and blower area without the drum turning.  This is a new motor and the blower wheel doesn't come out of the blower housing, but it's clean and doesn't appear to be rubbing the housing.  It made similar noises with the old motor. 

If the drive motor is brand new and didn't resolve the noise issue then it's possibly the Blower Wheel but you have to order the Whole Housing Assembly
http://www.appliancepartspros.com/diy-stories-for-frigidaire-asmy-blower-hsg-131775600-ap2107606.html

Online Joey_Bullock

• VIP Member
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2014, 11:46:08 AM »
That's what I was thinking.  I've never had a machine that I couldn't fix but this one may be it.  I've never heard a dryer make this particular droning/vibrating type sound and under these conditions with no obvious signs of rubbing or contact.

Offline Jdm

• Technician
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2014, 07:55:07 PM »
Blower will normal have stress cracks around the nut. You can see them with a flashlight. When it starts getting hot the it gets out of balance.
It's not the legacy you leave, it's the lives you impact

Online Joey_Bullock

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2014, 09:56:48 PM »
I replaced the blower housing with blower wheel.  This appears to have fixed the problem.  They dryer now runs very quiet.  I can't see any problems or defects with the old blower housing & blower wheel.

I appreciate all of the tech support.

Thank you.

Joey Bullock

Frigidaire Dryer not Heating

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 0
Views: 2379
Last post June 29, 2008, 05:08:58 PM
by TechnicianBrian
131553900 Frigidaire Dryer Heating Element Assembly

Started by AJ