Author Topic: Kenmore top load washer agitates during spin cycle after repairs  (Read 1489 times)

Offline therdbandit

• VIP Member
I have a kenmore top load washer that is about 10 years old.  After it stopped spinning during the spin cycle, it was determined that the clutch had gone out (as well as the lid button needing to be replaced).

After replacing the clutch and the lid button, the washer now agitates during the spin cycle.  Could it be possible that I did not put it back together correctly or could it be that the transmission has now gone out due to the new clutch?

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Bad transmission. Seen it
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
What is a lid button?
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline therdbandit

• VIP Member

What is a lid button?
Lid button = Lid switch  (sorry)

Bad transmission. Seen it

I find it hard to believe that the transmission just happened to go bad right now, since I had never had issues with the transmission previously.  Which makes me think: A- I didn't get something aligned correctly when I replaced the clutch.  Or  B- Having a clutch that finally works properly, did a number on my transmission. 

Knowing me, I am leaning toward option A.   

Any other thoughts from those out there?

Offline fairbank56

• Technician

Are you saying that it does spin but also the agitator is going back and forth during spin? Or, in spin mode, it doesn't spin but agitator is going back and forth? If the former, then the gearcase is faulty.

Eric

Offline therdbandit

• VIP Member
Correct, It does spin and also the agitator is going back and forth during the spin cycle.

Offline tgoods

• Technician
If you don't mind getting greasy and want to save money, you can replace the cam, 285206.

Offline fairbank56

• Technician
  Yes, you most likely have a worn agitate cam or a part associated with the cam operation. The shifter (28) rotates the cam (14) a few degrees in either direction depending on agitate or spin mode. In spin mode it is rotated so that the cam follower (13)  lifts the agitate gear (11) off of the agitator shaft splines so that even though the agitate gear is still rotated back and forth by the rack (17), it isn't engaged with the shaft to cause agitation. You can see the three ramps on the two cam parts that cause the cam follower to move up or down depending on which way the cam is rotated.

Eric

« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 08:31:43 AM by fairbank56 »

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline fairbank56

• Technician

Just be aware, the part of the video where he shows how to remove/replace the agitate cam is wrong. He has the cam and cam follower installed in reverse order. Ain't gonna work that way. That is not the agitator shaft that he removed in the first part of the video that has the cam installed properly.

Eric

Kenmore Washer will not drain or spin, agitates on the agitate lo cylce only

Started by mattz

Replies: 5
Views: 9301
Last post March 11, 2008, 09:21:43 AM
by mattz
GE Front Load Washer Noisy During Spin Cycle

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 0
Views: 6974
Last post August 25, 2008, 07:01:33 AM
by TechnicianBrian
kenmore washer clicking on spin cycle

Started by seek1369

Replies: 8
Views: 9161
Last post January 30, 2009, 08:55:05 PM
by JWWebster
Roper Washer - On Spin cycle will make load buzzing noise, won't spin

Started by kbrettm1977

Replies: 2
Views: 9090
Last post December 10, 2008, 06:55:27 PM
by JWWebster
Kenmore 90 Series Washer with Spin Cycle issues

Started by B_con

Replies: 2
Views: 3780
Last post February 28, 2009, 08:27:56 PM
by JWWebster
whirlpool washer, drum spins, but agitator agitates during spin cycle!

Started by larry39

Replies: 6
Views: 4789
Last post May 05, 2009, 11:52:56 AM
by Al Capone