Author Topic: Access control board and relays for RMC305PVB Whirpool combo microwave/oven  (Read 175 times)

Offline emptech

• VIP Member
I need to know how to access the control board in this wall oven.  The top unit is a microwave, the bottom is a conventional oven.  The upper broiler element is working ok, but the bottom bake element is not turning on and has already been replaced.  Unable to find a wiring diagram or service manual.  Suspect the problem may be at the control board, since all else works ok, could be a bad relay, but how do I get to the board?  Do I have to pull the entire unit from the wall and remove the top cover?

Offline andyf80

• Technician
    • Board Restored
Hey Emptech,
Welcome!

It doesn't look like you'll need to remove the unit, at least not completely.

Based on this diagram it appears you have 2 screws at the lower plastic housing on the board panel.
diagram of board

You may have to scoot the oven out a few inches to access those screws.  Most times you can get away with out having to pull the oven out completely. Have a 90' bend screwdriver handy - these are handy.

Let us know if you have any questions.

Discontinued Control Board Repair

Offline emptech

• VIP Member
Problem solved, history: somebody tried to "fix" the lower bake element, fiddled with it with power on, arced against frame and broke a faston connector off.  Replaced element, no heat, but the control panel seemed ok. Had to pull from wall, checked Klixon, checked ok, so problem was up on top.  Had to pull from wall, set on paint cans, took top sheet metal cover off.  Found schematic inside.  Pulled control board out, could not have been done from the front.  Found burned trace on pcb.  Jumped it with a wire, still didn't work.  Thought it fried relay contacts, pulled relay, broke cover off, black inside but ok.  Polished contacts, soldered back onto board, could see armature working ok but still no power.  After some tracing, found I soldered my jumper to the wrong point.  Fixed that problem, bingo, oven works.  I probably didn't have to open relay, but wanted to know if contacts were fried, they were ok.  All back together now, the family was able to fix their xmas dinner.

BTW, that diagram, same as I found on the internet was useless, unless you have taken one of these apart, you wouldn't know.  I don't normally work on ovens, usually hvac and refers.

All because somebody who lived there before tried to repair the oven.  They didn't have a square drive so they tried to remove the element with a phillips, didn't work so they tried forcing the element out and broke it.

Jim
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 01:40:15 PM by emptech »

Offline andyf80

• Technician
    • Board Restored
Dang Jim!  Nice work.

Thanks for the follow up.

Discontinued Control Board Repair

8302967 Whirlpool Oven Range Clock Control Board

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 7749