Author Topic: GE Profile Range model JGB905CEFCC Oven door blew open upon oven ignition  (Read 352 times)

Offline robpmorrison

• VIP Member
I have posted a problem with my frig tonight.  Providentially as I was writing the post for the frig problem my wife yells to me that the oven door opened after it ignited like something had blown up inside.  My immediate guess was that the igniter came on after the gas had already been flowing.  My son did a quick google on it and found that the igniter is probably the problem.  The text below in blue and italics is from this link http://www.appliance411.com/faq/gas_range_ignition_systems.shtml#glow

"Gas Smell and/or Mini-Explosions in the Oven

Ignitors do age and will eventually generate less heat than they normally should. When this happens they can still allow marginally correct current to flow to the oven gas valve for it to open but not get quite hot enough to ignite the gas burner immediately. When this occurs, gas released into the oven can result in a gas smell or sometimes even build up to the point where when finally ignited, the extra amount of gas lit can cause a small explosion inside the oven.

In the latter case, the oven should be removed from use until the condition can be looked into and corrected. DO NOT continue to use a gas appliance in such a condition!"

What do you think.  Is this good advice?  I am assuming it is and I should replace the oven burner bake igniter part # WB13K0021.  If there are other things I should look at please give me your thoughts.  As of right now we have shut the oven down and will not use it until I can at least change out the ignitor unless others tell me that it could be something else.  Thanks for your help.

Offline dab147315

• Technician

Offline robpmorrison

• VIP Member
I wanted to follow up on this.  I ordered up the igniter and it was a piece of cake to put in.  I took the oven door off and removed the racks.  Then removed the 2 screws to the base and lifted it and moved it to the back and out it came.  The flame spreader or what ever it is called is attached to the base.  Then there was the igniter right there with 2 screws to remove which I did.  Then I pulled out the warming drawer and reached under neath and un-pluged it.  I did the reverse to put it back in and the oven is working like a charm.  Thanks for the help. O0

Offline dab147315

• Technician
Thanks for the update.

Offline robpmorrison

• VIP Member
Your welcome.  I know that a lot of people do not follow up if the problem was fixed or not.  I appreciate the help I have gotten from here in the past! :thanks:

Offline dab147315

• Technician
Yeah you got that right.Even Techs. Thanks again.

Frigidaire Range, Oven Door falls Open

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 0
Views: 5076
Last post August 23, 2008, 08:29:17 AM
by TechnicianBrian
***SELF-CLEANING OVEN DOOR LOCKED OPEN***

Started by chuckd

Replies: 1
Views: 6494
Last post November 21, 2008, 03:50:08 AM
by Repair-man
rs386pxbq1 Oven door won't open

Started by dadpilot

Replies: 1
Views: 1820
Last post October 11, 2010, 08:43:14 PM
by theoldstoveguy
Kitcheaid gas range heats to about 300F. door locks and oven shuts down

Started by tagarman

Replies: 2
Views: 861
Last post February 17, 2013, 04:37:55 PM
by tagarman
Bosch wall oven has heat with door open,no heat with door losed.self clean works

Started by shillion

Replies: 6
Views: 3312
Last post October 20, 2013, 01:19:57 AM
by AJ
TAPPAN MILLENNIA GAS RANGE W/DIGITAL CLOCK NO OVEN IGNITION?

Started by stocpro47

Replies: 7
Views: 1012
Last post October 11, 2013, 10:04:10 AM
by nolazach