Free Service - Appliance Repair Help & Troubleshooting

Author Topic: Thermador Cook'n'Vent Problem  (Read 142 times)

Offline maxmirn

• VIP Member
Thermador Cook'n'Vent Problem
« on: July 13, 2016, 02:40:43 PM »
I have a cook'n'vent by Thermador (model CVS36R) that has a problem with the snorkel:
1) as the snorkel goes up and down, it doesn't automatically stop at the lowest or highest point. I need to hit the up/down switch a second time to stop it in either position. To be noted that when it goes down, it will go to the lowest position and then come back up 1-2 inch and stop automatically.
2) As the snorkel goes down, at some point, it kind of slips (almost like a free fall for an inch or so) and then continues down smoothly.

See video:

I've been told I need a new gear motor to fix this? Is that correct? The motor itself isn't making any strange sounds and always engages when the up/down switch is pressed.

Offline przemeku6

• Technician
    • ACE APPLIANCE
Re: Thermador Cook'n'Vent Problem
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2016, 06:10:09 PM »
hi. you will have to check end switches on the gear motor . two small switches in the back of the gear motor. check for loose screws on the main arm itself ( mechanical connection between gear motor shaft and main lifting arm, i have seen those getting loose multiple times) . end position micro switches come as a separate parts so don't  order gear motor if you need those.
STAN

Offline maxmirn

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 06:23:00 PM »
Thanks, Stan.  The cabinet blower positioned in front of the gear motor shaft and lifting arm so I'll need to disconnect that from the duct first. 

I assume the two small switches you are referring to are on this piece below, right?  Can you point out where?

Thanks for the help!!!

Offline przemeku6

• Technician
    • ACE APPLIANCE
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 09:23:42 PM »
about the blower _ it depends what setup you have. i have seen blowers installed outside the house, but you are wright usually gear motor is located behind the blower box or slightly above . post a picture from underneath the cabinet so i can show you exactly( if you will have a problem to locate it ). end switches are attached to the gear motor from the back ( 2nd  picture ) and on the main arm there is a cam that pushes those switches in certain positions ( end positions ) . SORRY if sometimes my explanation is not clear . English is my second language  :-). I really trying hard  :embarassed:
STAN

Offline maxmirn

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2016, 09:50:27 PM »
My integrated blower is set up in the middle with one access panel on each side.  See photo.  I'll disconnect from duck tomorrow and see what's going on behind it.

(Your English is more than fine!)

Thanks again for the help.

Offline przemeku6

• Technician
    • ACE APPLIANCE
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2016, 11:01:37 PM »
if the panel just above the blower housing is rectangular with four screws in each corner i would try that first
STAN

Offline maxmirn

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2016, 08:05:50 PM »
Stan, do you mean removing the box for the motor assembly in the photo attached?

Offline przemeku6

• Technician
    • ACE APPLIANCE
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2016, 10:38:21 PM »
i believe that whole box is hold only by those four screws in each corner. you need to get access behind it to see the whole main arm. i am not 100% sure but last time when i worked on something like this i had to raise the vent by hand and supported with something to allow me to pull the arm through a small access panel
STAN

SECD272 Thermador Dual Convection Oven Light Problem

Started by drgrafix

Replies: 0
Views: 3460
Last post April 03, 2009, 07:17:47 PM
by drgrafix
thermador oven c302z convection problem

Started by reappliance

Replies: 2
Views: 2180
Last post January 05, 2012, 08:51:10 AM