Author Topic: Whirlpool Topload LSQ8543JQ0 won't Spin (makes a humming/buzzing sound)  (Read 1306 times)

Offline rockinrobin

• VIP Member
This Washer will Fill with Water, Agitate & Drain but won't Spin and makes a humming/buzzing sound.
I replaced the Clutch Assembly 3 months ago.
The basket turns freely both directions.

Therefore, could it be the Timer, Drive Motor, Capacitor or something else? :-\

Offline fairbank56

• Technician

Run it with cabinet off and lid switch bypassed. After drain, motor should pause to release neutral drain. When it starts again, observe the clutch hub. If it is spinning and the basket is not, then either the clutch is slipping, there's a problem with the brake cam driver, or the drive block is worn out. You should not be able to freely rotate the tub as the brakes are applied when it's not running in spin mode. Remove the agitator and check the drive block. Make sure the grooves in the drive block are intact as well as the tabs on the spin tube that lock into the grooves.

Eric

Offline rockinrobin

• VIP Member
Eric,

Correction to my 1st Post: I can manually rotate the Basket freely counterclockwise but I cannot rotate clockwise.
Therefore, would it still be related to the parts you mentioned?

Offline fairbank56

• Technician

Sounds like the brakes are not working. You shouldn't be able to freely rotate the basket in either direction because the brakes should be engaged when not in spin mode. I would still check the items I suggested to narrow down the problem. Especially the clutch hub while in spin mode. If it is spinning, the motor and gearcase are working.

Eric

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline rockinrobin

• VIP Member
I noticed the Washer is spinning clockwise (instead of counterclockwise) but doesn't spin very fast.
Therefore, could it be the Drive Motor causing the problem? :-\

Offline fairbank56

• Technician

It's supposed to spin clockwise looking down on the tub from lid opening. Most likely a clutch problem. Where did you get the replacement clutch? If it's the $8 ones from amazon or e bay, they are junk and don't last long. Only use genuine Whirlpool FSP.

Eric

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
How many pads did your clutch have? It supposed be 6 pads. If you have less than that you need a clutch.
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline fairbank56

• Technician

Whirlpool parts manual for this washer lists clutch band part number 3951308 which crosses to the 285790 3-pad clutch band. 6-pad band is 3951993

Eric

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
6 pads is always better than 3. LOL I toss the 3 pads and won't buy any fer sure.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Offline fairbank56

• Technician

If your going to use the 6 pad clutch, you should also be using the heavy duty motor coupler (285852) as is used on the heavy duty washers that normally use a 6 pad clutch. You should also ensure that the brakes are in good shape and not grabbing when spin stops or you will be putting excessive strain on the motor and coupler. Whirlpool went to the 3 pad clutch because of this problem.

Eric

Offline fairbank56

• Technician

I just dug up some Whirlpool documentation that indicates that the 3 pad design is a "better" design. It states:

3-PAD CLUTCH BAND A design change to the clutch band assembly  is being made on all direct drive washers, beginning with code date CG14 (April 1998). This change will reduce the number of friction pads from six (6) to three (3), and also change the clutch spring rate for some models. The change will provide a higher and more consistent torque to the clutch housing, which will minimize the time for the washer to obtain full spin speed, and reduce the potential for “squealing noise” complaints. The new part consists of a three (3) pad clutch band assembly, and a new (red) spring for all current and previous extra capacity washers and 27-inch laundry systems. The current (black) spring will continue to be used for large capacity washers and 24-inch laundry systems. The old and new parts are interchangeable when the correct spring is used. Service kits will include both the red and black springs and an instruction sheet. The new 3-pad clutch will be substituted as soon as the service parts for the 6-pad clutch are gone.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair Help
All these years and I never even knew about a six pad clutch. That or I forgot about it. Anyway always used the three pad one and never had a problem.
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
No wonder I seen so many 3 pad clutches out back. Most of them worn slap out and thin as razor blades.
        never grow rusty.

I love fan letters! LOL

Whirlpool Topload LSQ9610JQ0 won't Spin (Motor makes a humming/buzzing noise)

Started by rockinrobin

Replies: 4
Views: 677
Last post June 13, 2013, 10:56:12 AM
by JWWebster
Whirlpool Washer Won't Spin, makes Humming Noise

Started by webberpeter

Replies: 11
Views: 4663
Last post December 04, 2012, 09:40:12 PM
by AJ
Whirlpool Topload LSQ8543JQ0 won't Drain before Spin