Author Topic: LG late model front load washer displaying error sign  (Read 1503 times)

Offline bruceemery

• VIP Member
LG late model front load washer displaying error sign
« on: May 17, 2013, 03:14:06 PM »
Hi,

First an apology re my refrigerator in case any of you offered help.  I disappeared shortly after that.  Long story won't bore you with it.

Problem now is with a late model LG front load washing machine.  It is displaying the error message that I attach in a photo. 

The book says simply when you see this error message unplug machine and call repair man. 

Machine was working fine since my flood back in November and then the other day I get that error message and thought it was an unbalanced load issue.  Door stayed locked until I unplugged washer and let it sit for a while.  Had water in it from stopping mid cycle.  Before this happened I did notice that a small amount of water was on the floor behind the machine after the last load I was able to run through a complete cycle.  First time I got the message and unplugged then later plugged back in ... it started and drained and I assumed it had reset itself but no such luck.  Message appeared again and washer has water pooled in it.  Is this a reset issue or is it a control panel issue?

Bruce

Offline niobrara

• Technician
Re: LG late model front load washer displaying error sign
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 05:18:52 PM »
Hall sensor issue

Offline wildimaginations

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2013, 06:37:01 AM »
WHAT!!!???  No this is a thermistor error code.
Appliance Service Technician
Authorized servicer on LG appliances.
About 45 mins east of San Francisco

Offline bruceemery

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2013, 08:04:10 AM »
Is this a big deal to replace?  Looks like an inexpensive part but is it difficult to replace?  Would this part "blow" because of some other issue that might be related to the flood I had back in November?  Meaning might it keep blowing if replaced?

Thank you both for responding.

Offline scoteddie

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2013, 09:06:19 AM »
With power switched off, remove back panel and the thermistor is adjacent to the heating element; check the plug hasn't come adrift from the thermistor, and check for broken wires around the plug and cable ties , often this is all that is wrong

Offline john63

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2013, 09:08:23 AM »
"tE" error= Thermistor Error

When an LG washer is "powered-on"---the Main Board will initiate a partial *systems check* prior to beginning a cycle.

When a "tE" error is displayed---this indicates a lack of signal input from the Temperature Sensor (Thermistor).

Since a flood occurred recently---there's a high likelihood of a corroded connection at the Thermistor plug.

To remedy this---the Thermistor plug should be disconnected---then add a dab of electrically-conductive compound/paste to the plug connector (such as GB Oxi Gard---available at Lowes).

The Thermistor is located at the front of the tub assy---6 oclock location.

Having a helper/assistant tip the washer back---it may be possible to access the Thermistor plug sufficiently enough to add the Oxi Gard paste.

If not---the Top Cover/Control Panel/Front Cover of the washer must be removed to access the plug.

Keep in mind that---in some cases---the plug to the Thermistor may also have a broken wire.

This was more common on older LG washers built before 2008 (Thermistor installed directly into tub assy)

After 2008---Thermistors were relocated to the Tub Heater (part of the Heating Element Assy).

Without a model number---it's difficult to know which type that your washer has.

Some models also *do not* have the internal Heater option. In this case---the Thermistor is the only component at the 6 oclock location---at the front of the tub assy.

Offline niobrara

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2013, 09:10:48 AM »
 :embarassed: Well, hum, blow picture up, look closer,glasses. Your correct and I am wrong. :embarassed:

Offline john63

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2013, 09:30:44 AM »
After examining the picture again---I noticed that there's an emblem on the Control Panel :)

"True Balance"

This clue tells us that the washer was manufactured *after* November 2008...

Offline niobrara

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2013, 09:52:19 AM »
I really like these units. The diagnostics are really good. And they do a good job washing. I just have to remember that t is not L. John are  all the models after Nov 2008 labeled true balance ?

Offline john63

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2013, 10:02:28 AM »
LG introduced their True Balance technology in November 2008---on *some* models.

Beginning 2009 (and newer)---all LG washers (top and front load) have the True Balance feature.

Offline bruceemery

• VIP Member
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2013, 04:28:45 PM »
Thank you all for your input !!! As I said this is a late model washer ... it is a WM2501HVA.  I take it as a more recent model Scoteddie that this thermistor is at the back of the unit?  Haven't looked again but do yo have to take the top off first to remove the back panel?  John, I take it the older models have this thermistor in the front of the unit.  This dryer is only about 3 years old.

Before reading these latest additions from you guys I had plugged the washer back in; shut the door (which I WAS able to open earlier again after leaving it unplugged for awhile); and started a new cycle in order to at least pump the pooled water out.  For the first time it started and then stopped without starting the cycle and is now showing PF which I see is Power Failure.  Does this add anything to narrow the focus or you all think it is the thermistor?  Thanks again for all the input . I love this place !!!  :cheers:

Offline bruceemery

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2013, 04:30:21 PM »
sorry I said "dryer" in that last post (1st paragraph, last sentence) I meant "washer".

Offline john63

• Technician
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2013, 05:17:25 PM »
<<< I take it as a more recent model Scoteddie that this thermistor is at the back of the unit?  Haven't looked again but do yo have to take the top off first to remove the back panel?  John, I take it the older models have this thermistor in the front of the unit. >>>

All 27 inch (full size) LG washers have the Temperature Sensor (Thermistor) at the front of the tub.

Scoteddie may be describing a 24 inch (or combo type LG unit) washer.

These *do* have a rear-installed Heating Element & Thermistor.

"PF" means that power was interrupted during a cycle (such as unplugging the washer).

The "tE" error is most likely due to a weak connection at the the Thermistor connector/plug (corrosion).

Try to access it from the bottom---with the washer tipped back (with an assistant).

Temporarily---you can try unplugging/plugging the connector about ten times (scrapes the pins inside the plug).

If the washer completes a cycle uninterruped---it's necessary to put some Ox Gard compound into the plug connector to maintain a good connection between the Thermistor and the Main Board.

How much water was the washer exposed to (inches) ?

Offline scoteddie

• Technician
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2013, 05:41:29 PM »
My apologies to all  :oops: ....all we see here in the uk are rear mounted elements etc, that'll teach me to jump in with both feet

Offline bruceemery

• VIP Member
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2013, 10:33:08 PM »
That's OK Scoteddie! appreciate the input!

John... after my last post I went down and the error code PF was off.  For the hell of it ,  I thought I would try to start another cycle at least to get the water pumped.  It started right up and I waited well past the time the it had been failing on me and stopping.  This time it went through the whole cycle!  So  John, based on part of your comment ... I may just need to put this Oxgard product you are talking about. 

I am a bit confused because earlier I thought you said it was in the front on the top ... the last comment it sounds like it is on the bottom.  Anyone have a link to the service repair manual? 

John re your question about the water.  It was during the Sandy storm here and it was about 2.5 feet of briney tidal water that hit my equipment.

Thanks again all!   :thanks:

Replacing Front Load Washer Pump Model#LHW0050PQ

Started by resapp

Replies: 4
Views: 1587
Last post May 22, 2012, 12:34:13 PM
by AJ
LG Front Load Washer LE Error code

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 43
Views: 93904
Last post March 12, 2012, 08:01:50 AM
by roodog
Frididaire Galaxy Front Load Washer Error

Started by hardwickUSMC

Replies: 1
Views: 1456
Last post January 12, 2009, 07:04:16 PM
by jumptrout51
front load ge washer error code E4F

Started by devoncloud

Replies: 5
Views: 4087
Last post May 09, 2009, 05:35:58 AM
by Repair-man
Electrolux Front Load Washer Error EHE

Started by boyax

Replies: 4
Views: 2280
Last post March 30, 2011, 08:29:12 AM
by boyax
GE Front Load Washer, stops - light blinks no error codes.

Started by DressageQueen

Replies: 5
Views: 2912
Last post November 26, 2011, 05:24:55 PM
by DressageQueen