365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy!  ·  AppliancePartsPros.com
Washer PartsDryer PartsRefrigerator PartsDishwasher PartsRange & Oven PartsAll Appliance Parts

Author Topic: Ge washer transmission bearing replacement (lower)  (Read 9009 times)

Offline Know_one

• VIP Member
Re: Ge washer transmission bearing replacement (lower)
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2014, 11:11:06 AM »
Hi!
For some reason, didn't get the entire reply thread last time here... I didn't catch it. After registering I posted the reply, reloaded the bog and saw that there was a LOT more of it. The bearing you suggested metric and is a much better choice as it has a 52 mm OD (2.0472) which is identical to the OEM unit that comes out. It would be a nice press fit in back in. An English bearing, such as the one I used,  has a 2.0000 OD and is sloppy in the hole with about .020 on all sides. I used 1 wrap of shim stock and Loctite Stud & Bearing Mount to fill the gap and it seems fine. The 3 dimpled metal peens that hold the OEM in place seem to center the 2.0000 well and hold it, but it isn't a press fit. When I was digging around locally for the bearing I came across a couple of 'It's special, we would would have to order it' and a price tag just south of $40 after a week or two. I really didn't pursue it much further. I hate that word 'special' and snagged the English unit for $14.00 with tax and made it work. Acceptable in this application, but not absolutely correct either. I looked up the number on eBay and found out I paid twice what I should have. Generally after shipping, mail order is close to a wash with local retail not having to wait a couple of days. This case, not. Most everything I came across is 'free shipping'. I don't think it's going to be a problem with the Loctite. If it breaks loose and starts to spin, I know that 'special' isn't 'unique special' for this critter and will snag the metric unit with the 1" ID.

Offline romanowski72

• Technician
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2014, 11:04:40 PM »
Wow Fairbanks you really did a great job on this!  I forgot all about the posting but I have done several transmissions for customers and they love the cost of saving money.  I do use a 6205 bearing but a zz as opposed to a rs, I also use a bearing heater and they go on easy.
Nice work people!

Offline P Kaye

• VIP Member
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2015, 01:25:45 PM »
Sorry I'm posting to an older topic but I am hoping to confirm my issue with a follow up question.

The issue I'm having is that the basket is spinning during agitation which eventually throws water into the overflow. It also take a very long time for the basket to stop spinning after the spin cycle.
This link http://www.appliancerepair.net/washing-machine-repair-6.html suggests that it is the lower bearing that needs replacing:
 Quote:
"Another common complaint is that water mysteriously leaks during the agitate cycle. What is happening is that the lower transmission ball bearings are worn so the brake is not engaging fully. The basket then spins during the agitate cycle and and slings water over the edge of the tub. The basket obviously will not brake properly at the end of the spin cycle either. A lower bearing kit is available to rebuild the lower (ball) bearing assembly. See section 6-5."

The washer is a GE GJSR2080.

So my question is- Am I on the right track with this one??

I am quite capable of doing the repair but I would hate to do all of this for nothing!
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Offline fairbank56

• Technician
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2015, 03:10:04 PM »

Yes, sounds like you need to tear it down to clean and lubricate where the steel balls are. If the old lubricant is dried up, the balls can get stuck and the brake will stay released.

Eric

Frigidiare Kenmore Front Load Washer Inner Tub & Tub Bearing Replacement.

Started by AJ

Replies: 5
Views: 8555
Last post March 03, 2008, 03:56:05 AM
by BrntToast
Video: Whirlpool Made Direct Drive Washer Motor Coupler Replacement

Started by AJ

Replies: 18
Views: 47313
Last post May 18, 2010, 06:53:50 AM
by gimpyjones
Maytag Washer Bearing Repalcement MLG2000AWW