Author Topic: Ge washer transmission bearing replacement (lower)  (Read 4635 times)

Offline romanowski72

• Technician
Ge washer transmission bearing replacement (lower)
« on: May 05, 2013, 01:33:20 PM »
Hey Guys, I have a ge washer model wjrr417oe4ww and it has a bad tub bearing and seal, and water must have leaked down and fried the bearing on the bottom of the transmission also.
My question is, is it possible to change this bearing? the transmission is part # WH38X10002
I already have informed the customer of this costly repair and they are letting me use the washer as a guinea pig. So any ideas at all would be helpful and appreciated.
I am thinking I might use a gear puller to pull the clutch plate off. If it is very tight though I could warp the clutch plate.
Thanks in advance for any ideas and brainstorm, I have read a little bit and they say this cant be done but they have said that about bearings in the past, so I believe it is possible.

Offline fairbank56

• Technician
Re: Ge washer transmission bearing replacement (lower)
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 02:29:30 PM »

Iv'e never tried it but would be interested in your findings. It's not a clutch, it's a disc brake. Have you already removed the pulley hub, brake cam and the six ball bearings? Not sure what the next step would be. I guess you would have to compress the brake springs somehow to remove  whatever is holding the brake hub on. I have a transmission that needs a new bearing but have never gotten around trying to disassemble it. If your going to take it apart, photo's would be a great help for anyone else who wants to attempt it.

Eric

Offline romanowski72

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 02:49:05 PM »
Eric thanks for reply! I don't know if it will let me post pictures but I will try. Yes I did get all the pulley and everything off.
Here is a update: there is a spring clip that circles the shaft it is hard to see but it is there and it comes off easy with a small screwdriver. After that everything basically lifts off of the shaft, used a rubber mallet to get bearing off shaft but it came off very easy.
After that I turned the brake plate with the bearing in it upside down on the cage for the motor and transmission (all this is removed from washer at this point) pounded the bearing out it, came out very easy, I did not even need penetrating oil.
I think the hard part with be reattaching the spring clip.
The bearing was a 6205rs which is a common bearing and I keep in stock I use a 6205zz same size just double shielded.
I think I will also need a set of bolts,nuts and washers to compress the springs similar to the way you would service a maytag brake system. so I can get the spring clip back on.
I will update when I have more info.

Offline fairbank56

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 03:02:15 PM »

Great, thanks for the update. Was there a lot of spring pressure when you removed the clip? I think you've inspired me to take mine apart now, knowing that the bearing is readily available and apparently not to difficult to replace.

Eric

Offline romanowski72

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 03:11:32 PM »
no not much spring pressure at all, however getting the clip back on is going to be the difficult part I think.
I am cleaning all parts and getting ready to grease up now. Those 6 bearing you spoke of earlier are all dry also.
Post back in a bit to see how easy it goes back together.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
Ge washer transmission bearing replacement (lower)
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 03:21:20 PM »
Please do post some photos. If you have any trouble posting them feel free to email the photos to me and I will post the for you, thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline fairbank56

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2013, 05:28:01 PM »

Well, that didn't take long.

LGS (limited grip spring) removed

Pulley hub removed

Cam hub removed

Retaining ring pulled from groove and slid up to remove

Pulling brake disc with brake hub

Removing brake spring assembly

Lower shaft

Support with bearing ready to be removed

Complete disassembly

The only issue that I see is that after the bearing is inserted in the support housing, four crimps are made to lock the outer bearing race. Not sure what to do here when replacing the bearing. It will go in a lot easier if those are filed down a little.

Eric

Offline romanowski72

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2013, 06:05:26 PM »
Eric those pictures look great far better explanation than I could have ever articulated!  I did get the other bearing in without problem but getting the plate and bearing onto the shaft is my current task. I have walked away for the night to ponder on a good way to do it.  I did try pulling it on with the pulley nut and a couple of big washers I use for pressing bearings but I don't think that is a good option since the tranny wants to spin.
Any ideas let me know!
Bryan

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2013, 06:13:44 PM »
Eric those pictures look great

I agree, awesome job!!  O0

Offline fairbank56

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2013, 06:22:25 PM »
  So, the new bearing is a tight fit on the shaft? I can fairly easily slide my old bearing onto and off the shaft. The part number on mine is 6205-2RS-1R (not sure if that's 1R or IR). My bearing doesn't seem that bad. My original symptom was that the washer was working fine but I kept smelling something like rubber burning after final spin. I could hear metal ticking after spin like something hot was cooling off. Turns out it was the bearing support. It was so hot I could barely keep my fingers on it when checking it. I installed a new transmission and the problem went away, the bearing support doesn't get hot at all now so I figured it was heat from the bearing. There was very slight evidence (just a little rust) that water had gotten onto the bearing but no evidence of leakage anywhere else. I replaced the tub seal anyway when I replaced the transmission.

I created a quick and dirty web page for the images for easier reference.

http://home.comcast.net/~fairbank56/GEtransmission/GEtransmission.html

Eric
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 06:27:32 PM by fairbank56 »

Offline PARTech

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • Panhandle Appliance LLC
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2013, 07:18:10 PM »
Great shots! Would a cylinder hone work for getting those four crimps smoothed out?
Serving North Idaho

Offline fairbank56

• Technician
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2013, 08:49:13 PM »
but getting the plate and bearing onto the shaft is my current task. I have walked away for the night to ponder on a good way to do it.  I did try pulling it on with the pulley nut and a couple of big washers I use for pressing bearings but I don't think that is a good option since the tranny wants to spin.

Are you sure about the bearing size? Mine is a 6205-2RS-1 that is 25.4mm inner diameter (exactly 1"). The 6205-2RS is 25mm which would be too small. I measured my shaft with calipers and it is exactly 1" (25.4mm). I see this listed as a "special size" but still readily available.

Eric
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 08:56:54 PM by fairbank56 »

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2013, 07:58:53 AM »
 :popcorn:

Offline brainiac88

• VIP Member
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2013, 02:02:34 PM »
This thread was a tremendous help in repairing my washer.  Here's my tips to the reader wanting to do repairs:

- Get some PB Blaster, 400 grit sandpaper, brass or steel mini-brushes, Liquid Wrench white lithium grease

- Order the four-piece kit from eBay ($15 shipped) which has the rubber tub seal, tub washer, hub nut, and the split ring. 

- If you are replacing the lower transmission bearing, make sure you order the 6205 with the 25.4 mm. inner diameter.  $7 shipped on eBay

- If the hub nut doesn't come off with a couple whacks of a 2 lb. hammer after being bather in PB Blaster, don't waste time and energy trying to remove it.  Get a grinder or a chisel, and break it off.  Note that the shaft its on is sort of square, having threads only on the corners of the square.  Grind or chisel at the hub nut area where adjacent to the flat part of the shaft, not the threads

- Using PB Blaster and the steel brushes, clean the bearing and shaft areas in both the inner and outer tubs.  The angled part of the inner tub in mine (where the split ring rests against) had a load of gunk and corrosion, which required heavy brushing, PB Blaster, and sanding down to make it smooth again.  Same goes for the upper transmission shaft.

- When reassembling, use white lithium grease as needed.

Hope this helps someone.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2013, 09:36:21 PM »

Hi brainiac88 and welcome!  :welcome:

Thanks for the tips.  O0

Frigidiare Kenmore Front Load Washer Inner Tub & Tub Bearing Replacement.

Started by AJ

Replies: 5
Views: 6967
Last post March 03, 2008, 03:56:05 AM
by BrntToast
Video: Whirlpool Made Direct Drive Washer Motor Coupler Replacement

Started by AJ

Replies: 18
Views: 41935
Last post May 18, 2010, 06:53:50 AM
by gimpyjones
Maytag Washer Bearing Repalcement MLG2000AWW