Author Topic: GE Washer Won't Spin  (Read 229 times)

Offline lum

• VIP Member
GE Washer Won't Spin
« on: January 31, 2014, 01:37:41 AM »
Received a GE GTWN4950LWS on trade tonight. Was told by the owner that it fills and drains but doesn't spin. Took the front off and I see that the red LED is flashing 7 times. The manual says it comes on when 2 wash cycles have completed without the lid switch being opened and will disable itself from spinning until the error is reset. I attempted to get the machine into field service mode (position 9/spin) but it still wont spin.

I guess at this point would spin being disabled by the lid switch also disable the washer from spinning in field service mode? Or does field service mode allow all functions to work, regardless of it they have been disabled by the unit?

I attempted to clear the LED error code with no success. This to me suggests that (maybe) the lid sensor went bad, they did two loads of wash and now the washer disabled itself from spinning. Can't clear the error code (by opening/closing the lid as the switch is bad). Replace the switch and hope I can reset the error code? Again, will having the lid switch disable spinning also disable spinning from being tested while in Field Service mode?

Any feedback, suggestions would be great!

Offline lum

• VIP Member
Re: GE Washer Won't Spin
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 09:43:33 AM »
It was suggested that I cut the lid switch off and manually touch the wires together several times to clear out the lid switch error. I did this, set it to spin, held the wires together, hit start and got it to spin. Turns out having a lid switch error and having spin disable will also disable spin from happening in field service mode as well. In the event that anyone else encounters this same issue.

Online Patricio

• Technician
  • Tight Lines
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 08:01:53 PM »
So that would be the same as lifting & lowering lid 6 times as GE recommends for resetting board.  Would not need to cut wires & bypass lid switch.    I believe a more professional approach, would not you agree?
Great Old Fashion Hometown Service

Offline lum

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 09:01:21 PM »
So that would be the same as lifting & lowering lid 6 times as GE recommends for resetting board.  Would not need to cut wires & bypass lid switch.    I believe a more professional approach, would not you agree?

Yes, cutting the wires and touching them together 6 times to clear the code would be the same as lowering and raising the lid, however if the lid switch is bad then raising and lowering the lid isn't going to do anything to reset the board. In my case the only way to reset the board with a bad lid switch was to cut the wires, bypass the switch, and clear it manually by jumping the wires together 6 times.

Repair Guide: Whirlpool Direct Drive Washer - No agitate or spin

Started by AJ

Replies: 13
Views: 23964
Last post January 02, 2009, 01:09:38 PM
by AJ
whirlpool belt drive washer won't spin

Started by mthd60sprty

Replies: 7
Views: 5822
Last post June 06, 2013, 08:42:12 AM
by fairbank56