365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy! - AppliancePartsPros

Author Topic: How long do you wait to call if your running late?  (Read 164 times)

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
How long do you wait to call if your running late?
« on: April 29, 2013, 03:44:55 PM »
If I know that I'm going to be more then ten minutes late I will call ahead and let the customer know I'm running late.

It has always worked well for me. Today I'm running five minutes late as I'm driving up a 1/4 mile long drive when my phone starts ringing. It's the customer who's house I'm just about to pull up to. I don't answer it because I'm about to be face to face with her with in seconds.

She was mad as hell that I was 5 minutes late, wtf.

My customers seem to get more demanding all the time.

Does my ten minute rule seem about right or do you guys call ahead even if your only running a few minutes late?

Most of the time I'm early or on time, but I don't know if I should be calling even if it's only 5 minutes late or what.
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline RAH52

• Technician
Re: How long do you wait to call if your running late?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 03:59:53 PM »
I give them a 90 minute window .If somebody is unreasonable and give me a hard time about something I will up the price of the part or labour .Its a sliding scale based on how much of a p.r. they are !Many guys in other jobs i.e. phone guy ,plumbers etc will only give morning or afternoon commitments.

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 04:08:13 PM »
90 minute window, I like that idea.
I give myself enough time between calls that I have enough time to get to my next call on time, but shit happens.

Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 06:31:26 PM »
Same with me a 90 minute window. First call 7:30-8 (always on time) second 8-9:30 and so forth. That way if a customer isn't home I am not waiting hours for the next call.

Offline JADsvc1

• Technician
  • 25 yrs Frigidaire/W-W/Electrolux svc mgr
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 06:36:46 PM »
I provide a two hour window, but try to always run closer to the earlier time. I will call if I think I'm going to be more than 10 minutes late, so I agree with AJ's time frame. I think that is a reasonable time period that can be affected by traffic, weather, a needed gas stop, a wrogn turn, etc. I also try to call my later scheduled customers to be sure they are around, so I don't waste a trip.

Seems that customers have become much more demanding. I think that is a by-product of our 'right here-right now' society where many things are available instantly (ie: instant movie watch, instant information via the internet, 24 hour anything-you-can-think-of drive-thrus!)

What we need is a transporter, so we can be there RIGHT NOW! Beam me up Scotty; there's no intelligent life here!!

;D
Having is not always so desirable as wanting . . .

Offline PARTech

• Technician
    • Panhandle Appliance LLC
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 07:07:19 PM »
I work on a 2 hour window and always tell customers that I will call 15/20 min. before I arrive. 9-11 call last Thursday the cust was on the phone at 9:05, "Where is he!?" to the wife. I am seeing more of this to the point that we are considering a 3 hour window. Probably won't do any good considering they don't listen now. People seem to hear what they want to hear.
Serving North Idaho

Offline Patricio

• Technician
  • Tight Lines
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 09:40:13 PM »
I tell them an approximate time I will be there & that I will call when I am on the way.  I also tell them to give me an extra 30 minutes when I am on the way,  cause sometimes there is a train parked on the tracks that cross the main road to the local plants,  They all know the train holdups.
Great Old Fashion Hometown Service

Offline schleven

• Technician
    • www.katy-appliance-repair.com
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 10:02:39 PM »
I work on an hour window.  I can usually tell if i might be running late before the start of the hour window. I try to call before then.  Most ofmy customers are very niceand understanding if i am a little late. Its all about communication.
"It's not what happens to you, it's what you do about it"

Offline LowSL2

• Technician
  • Fletch F. Fletch
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2013, 10:09:20 PM »
$ears has 4 hour windows.  8-12 and 1-5.  In the Bay Area we are working 12 hour days so we're running four different time slots.  7-10, 8-12, 1-5 and 4-7. I dont call customers until I'm on the way.  The system automatically calls customers and gives them an ETA.  Which is usually totally wrong.  Oh well.  Not my problem.

For my own calls, I give them a one hour window.  And I always call when I'm on the way.
LowSL2
15 Years of Professional Appliance Repair Experience

Offline wildimaginations

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 05:20:00 AM »
I usually offer a 12 hour window like 12pm to midnight.  The customer laughs and then I can ease them into more acceptable time frame of 2 hours.

When they ask if I work on weekends, I say yes.  I can be there on Saturday morning around 3am.  I would love to see what you look like first thing out of bed.  Ahhhh!!!!
Appliance Service Technician
Authorized servicer on LG appliances.
About 45 mins east of San Francisco

Embarrassing Dishwasher call

Started by Repair-man

Replies: 16
Views: 202
Last post March 17, 2013, 11:03:36 PM
by JWWebster
Anyone notice how long our site was down?

Started by AJ

Replies: 7
Views: 54
Last post February 06, 2009, 06:23:15 PM
by AJ
Do you call customers back after a completed service call?

Started by AJ

Replies: 15
Views: 254
Last post March 24, 2013, 01:36:59 AM
by Wedgeman55
Whats your most memorable service call?

Started by schaffersapplian

Replies: 11
Views: 103
Last post March 12, 2010, 10:39:00 PM
by BrntToast
Wait till ya'll see this!