Author Topic: Frigidaire top spray arms not working, gritty residue on dishes  (Read 8628 times)

Offline grkeener

• Technician
  • 45 years of appliance repair's
Re: Frigidaire top spray arms not working, gritty residue on dishes
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2013, 12:10:11 PM »
by the way to best clean the dishwasher pour 1 gallon of vineger into bottom and let soak overnite then run a cycle next day
dont put c.l.r. into dishwasher some parts may be sensative to it and damage the dishwasher
bk1953

Offline Rick52768

• VIP Member
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2013, 01:04:36 PM »
I will try vinegar then.  Some folks here said it was a good step, but I understand how it could be a problem if left to soak too long.  The only problem is I think the sprayer arms have gunk in them.  I believe this as I can see some hard water crust where the two halves on the plastic spray arm meets.  I may try them in the sink upside down as the vinegar in the bottom of the tub will do nothing for the spray arms in the terms of soaking.

Offline grkeener

• Technician
  • 45 years of appliance repair's
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2013, 01:21:27 PM »
as long as the holes are not gunked they should be good. but cleaning cant hurt
bk1953

Offline Rick52768

• VIP Member
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2013, 01:23:45 PM »
Holes are clear, but I will clean the arms as well.  Vinegar is in the dishwasher well soaking already.

Offline Rick52768

• VIP Member
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2013, 10:32:40 AM »
I did have a few bit of "stuff" that came out of the bottom spray arm.  I put masking tape over the holes and filled the arm with vinegar, which worked fairly well.  Running the vinegar cycle right now (which soaked overnight) and to get the full use of the vinegar, I disconnected the drain pump for the first three drain time and then reconnected it.  So I did notice a big difference with more water in the tub.  But I still do not know what the normal sound or water level should be.  And of course I did hear a difference as it even tripped the overflow sensor due to missing that first drain cycle (or 3 to be correct). 

Of my many questions, would adding enough water to trip the overflow sensor after the start-up drain cycle help in the following wash/rinse cycles as the rest of the drain cycles are shorter than the first cycle? I will have to move stuff and clean the basement to prepare for the call to the water company to solve the low pressure, or low volume issue as I have no idea what they will do to fix it, if anything.  I have heard of a test that will let you know how many gallons/min are being delivered to the unit which from memory involves a measured container and a stop watch.  But my question would be what is the required minimum volume for my dishwasher?

There is still "dirty" water in the quite sump area after this vinegar run.  Is it normal after a complete normal wash cycle to have dirty water in the quite sump?  How does the quite sump ever really get clean?  What does the turbidity sensor do in the terms of actions the dishwasher will take if it senses the water is dirty?  Can I test the sensor with a multimeter?  I am soaking the heating element which has some hard water crust on it with paper towels soaked with vinegar.  Hopefully that is the cause of the dirty water in the sump this time.  And then I will run a complete cycle without any dishes but with soap, adding water after the first drain and see the condition of the quite sump water.  Then run a complete cycle with clean glasses on the top shelf and see if they are clean or dirty, but any help before hand that would guide me in the run direction would be great.  Thanks

Offline sparky823

• VIP Member
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2013, 01:46:32 AM »
Could your fill valve not be opening fully during the fill? I know you said you checked the screen but couldn't deposits(mineral) inside the valve prevent a full flow?
I have also read where some people remove the flow restrictor in the valve without any problems when they have low water pressure.

Offline Rick52768

• VIP Member
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2013, 10:39:45 AM »
Is there an easy way to check to see if it is flowing as it should? Do all models of dishwashers have restrictors?  I will check the donor unit (same make, model and year) to see if it has a restrictor as I cannot remember seeing one when I check the inlet filter but I was not looking for one at that time.  Thanks for the help.

Offline sparky823

• VIP Member
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2013, 01:23:04 AM »
If you could rig it up to fill with the door open, then you could see how well it pours into the machine, otherwise just have to go by how much is in the bottom after it stops filling.

The restictor is inside the valve at the bottom of the strainer-at least on a Kenmore/Wpool. And Yes I do believe all of them have restrictors.

Offline Rick52768

• VIP Member
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2013, 05:50:55 AM »
All it takes on my model is to use a screw driver to push in the latch on the door to trick it to work with the door open.  I will do a visual on the fill, but have no norm to base my results on. I checked the donor unit fill valve and did not see anything that looked like a restrictor. Is it just a washer with a smaller hole in the center?

Offline sparky823

• VIP Member
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2013, 07:50:53 PM »
Best I remember on mine, it was like an o ring that fit around a plastic disk(?)-the disk has holes in it and the strainer fits over this. When you pull the strainer out then you see the other piece(disk) in the bottom of the valve.

Maybe just switch the valve off the donor onto this machine and see if you get more water or you might just need a new valve.

Frigidaire PLD4555RFC3 not washing properly - spray arms not turning

Started by notoriousDBA

Replies: 2
Views: 465
Last post November 09, 2014, 03:33:43 PM
by domain
spray arms do not spray

Started by hookcapn

Replies: 9
Views: 3186
Last post April 18, 2008, 09:07:38 AM
by hookcapn
Frigidaire dishwasher upper spray arm inop.

Started by Dirty Harry

Replies: 0
Views: 3289
Last post November 15, 2008, 01:55:03 PM
by Dirty Harry
Dishes have residue

Started by hydrogen

Replies: 1
Views: 1438
Last post January 03, 2010, 07:47:36 AM
by Repair-man
frigidaire dishwasher won't clean dishes