365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy! - AppliancePartsPros
Washer Parts | Dryer Parts | Refrigerator Parts | Dishwasher Parts | Range & Oven Parts

Author Topic: Gonna hire a young kid and teach him appliance repair.  (Read 340 times)

Offline wildimaginations

• Technician
Gonna hire a young kid and teach him appliance repair.
« on: April 20, 2013, 08:25:27 AM »
Ok, I've gone through about 8 different people from Los Medanos College in Pittsburgh, Ca about appliance repair.  Each of them were top students learning everything about appliance repairs.  So I took them out for about a week to see if they could be potential techs.  Each of them had a difficult time taking things apart, diagnosing a problem, customer service and reading schematics.  There was one that almost came close but found out later that he has a hearing problem and couldn't hear a refrigerator compressor kick on.  It was frustrating.

I met up a church friend who does part time handyman work with his son.  I asked if his son would be interested in appliance repair and the son enthusiastically said yes.  He's 17.  He will start with me in June when school is out for the summer.  From what I know, he's a typical high school kid.  He wears his clothes normally, no sagging pants.  Clean cut short hair.  I will be paying him $10/hr on a 1099 form.

I plan to show him how I do appliance diagnosing and servicing for a couple of days and then let him get his hands into the jobs.  I will push him hard so that he will learn not worry about stress. :ahhh: [size=78%]  [/size]Just to concentrate on the job and getting it done.  Since my specialty is LG, it will be biased towards that.

What other things would you guys recommend for me or for this young apprentice? 
Appliance Service Technician
Authorized servicer on LG appliances.
About 45 mins east of San Francisco

Offline domain

• Technician
Re: Gonna hire a young kid and teach him appliance repair.
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 08:54:39 AM »
Hmm, I like the push it hard idea. I started at 18 years old in appliance repair coming from the hvac/r industry. I would make sure he ALWAYS has an open line to either tech or yourself if needed. It helps. Also, just make sure he has the ability to learn more and have guidance, this is key. I started with parts changers and am on my own when it comes to REAL problems, no one to call or ask that has MORE knowledge than me, conveniently. Any other tech I have met works somewhere else and they are hard to get ahold of. Teach him to be a real tech, and NOT a parts changer. ;) ;)

Offline dab147315

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 02:02:07 PM »
Reading schematics is one of the best things to know in this industry.Had a great high school teacher back in the day and was great at teaching this.Even more now with all the newer appliances.

Offline andersenappliance

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 05:28:08 PM »
Start by teaching him how the appliance does what it does, and what components do what.  I know it sounds basic, but that is where to begin.

A handyman background seems to be a good thing, 'cause of the variety of things you have to fix.  (At least it worked in my case)

If he knows what the appliance does, and what inside it does which thing, he'll be able to at least narrow down the problem to a few options, and if he can't figure out the rest, then he can change parts!  ;D

Don't put too much pressure on him too early, let him adapt.  And remember, he has no experience.  You've done this so long that things are second nature to you.  If he doesn't get it right away, its because he is a young kid with no experience.  May not have even used half the tools in your bag...

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 06:04:09 PM »
Lucky kid to have you show him the ropes.

I agree with andersen, don't put to much pressure on him. He is no doubt going to make mistake, but that is also how he is going to learn.

Let us know how it goes...

Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline Preferred Appliance

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 07:16:12 PM »
TEACH HIM TO LISTEN! If he listens to a customer well, they will often tell him whats wrong. ATTITUDE! We are guests in a customers home. We are not door mats to walk over, but be respectful!  O0

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2014, 09:49:57 PM »
So how did things end up working out with the kid you hired?
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline wildimaginations

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2014, 09:48:41 AM »
I did talk to him 2 weeks ago and that he didn't want to do appliance repairs but rather work with an electrician in the trade.  He says that my field is really complicated and dealing with all different kinds of appliances and different manufacturers was something he didn't think he could deal with.  But he did thank me for opening his eyes to the world outside of the computer screen.  I'm happy for him.

As for me, I'm not a very good teacher.  It was hard to spend the time to teach him while doing my business.  I guess I will have to go it alone for now.

Appliance Service Technician
Authorized servicer on LG appliances.
About 45 mins east of San Francisco

Offline andersenappliance

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2014, 11:17:25 AM »
I've been mulling this over quite a bit.  I expect that it is really hard to get some good help.

We just can't get our invoices high enough to pay for good help.  At a certain point, they'll just buy a new machine.

What we need is a good war with China.  Then appliances will cost thousands of dollars and they have to fix them (Don't really want war with China, though).

If you know enough to be an appliance repairman, even a mediocre one, you know enough to work a trade that will pay you more.  So why would you stay in appliances, unless it is in your own business?

Online keithvibe

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2014, 12:06:34 PM »

If you know enough to be an appliance repairman, even a mediocre one, you know enough to work a trade that will pay you more.  So why would you stay in appliances, unless it is in your own business?
Because you like working with your hands, like working indoors, good at fixing most anything. Don't have enough cash to support a family if you go it alone.

Wanted: Your appliance repair photos....

Started by AJ

Replies: 7
Views: 205
Last post November 08, 2013, 05:59:03 PM
by geebeegee
Appliance Repair Resources

Started by AJ

Replies: 49
Views: 3020
Last post April 22, 2015, 08:49:43 AM
by tlzfixer
Use your forum profile to promote your appliance repair business

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 63
Last post December 06, 2011, 09:28:06 PM
by AJ
Appliance repair industry in decline

Started by Bailey

Replies: 34
Views: 515
Last post July 15, 2013, 10:19:32 PM
by Wedgeman55
Things people call you for other then appliance repair?

Started by AJ

Replies: 32
Views: 482
Last post September 03, 2014, 03:08:13 AM
by Wedgeman55
The Future of Appliance Repair?

Started by Nwtech

Replies: 11
Views: 153
Last post September 07, 2012, 10:38:32 PM
by andersenappliance