Author Topic: Refridgerator compressor not starting  (Read 834 times)

Offline mskvarenina

• VIP Member
Refridgerator compressor not starting
« on: April 13, 2013, 08:20:58 AM »
My Kenmore 596.73509201 refrigerator compressor is not starting.  I replaced the starter relay about 9 months ago.  At that time the old relay when shaken sounded like a rattle.  This time around the relay sounds solid.  I've measured the resistance between the start and run coils and found it to be 3.7, 5 and 8.7.  Since 3.7 + 5 = 8 ohms, it sounds like there is not a short in the windings.

I can replace the starter relay again but I'm concerned the compressor itself is causing the relay to fail?

Some people say that if the resistance between the start and run is greater that 0.5 ohms the compressor is bad, others are silent on this condition.

Thoughts?

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Refridgerator compressor not starting
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 09:03:55 AM »
If the compressor has no reading at all between any 2 terminals OR if any of the  3 terminals are shorted to the compressor it is bad. That is what I go by. If you condenser coils are clogged that can cause the compressor to overheat and wear out the relay quicker. Some of the relays come from overseas are not the quality parts they should be.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline mskvarenina

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 09:19:06 AM »
Thanks,  As I said above I'm getting readings across the 2 coils.  I've also confirmed that there is no short (to ground) within the compressor.  I guess I'll try a new relay first.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 09:36:55 AM »
Measure the resistance between start terminal and common then measure the resistance between run terminal and common;  add the 2 up and that should be the resistance you get between run terminal and start terminal
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline go400

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 05:42:15 AM »
Simple resistance measurements with a 9 volt ohmmeter only determine if the windings are shorted or blown open, and most of the time determine which pins are start and run.
 Best way is with a 115 volt test with something like a RO41 relay/overload combo which facilitates testing the run and start wining current with a amprobe with capture mode to capture the momentary start current.

Frigidaire SXS Compressor Not Starting

Started by beutke

Replies: 18
Views: 7359
Last post February 04, 2010, 08:00:36 PM
by JWWebster
older kenmore side by side with tpe1389yxa compressor not starting

Started by mchunter

Replies: 7
Views: 2490
Last post May 27, 2010, 07:47:51 AM
by BrntToast