365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy! - AppliancePartsPros

Author Topic: WHOLESALE pricing appliance repair  (Read 92 times)

Offline stocpro47

• Technician
    • SRW APPLIANCE
WHOLESALE pricing appliance repair
« on: July 09, 2013, 06:53:06 AM »
the local  used appliance store wants  to hire me as a outside contractor to do service work for them on washers,refrigerators etc.it may be a good source of work but we havent discussed money and was wondering what the usual arrangement is?they dont have anybody right now..i dont know how much of a kick back i should be giving,and i dont want to be driving all around and making half as much!they are on a busy street,anybody have experience with this type setup???

Offline Bailey

• Technician
Re: WHOLESALE pricing appliance repair
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 09:25:47 AM »
When I started out I worked for hourly pay. However there were two guys that worked on commission. They got 50% of the labor and 10% of the parts with the company taking care of the paperwork like with regular employees.I think the rules changed so that they had to become independent contractors, scheduling their own calls and reporting their income to the IRS. I remember the appliance company switching them to hourly. Both left town for other work. One of them told me that to avoid callbacks of which he earned no money, when he had a call such as a defrost problem, he put in new thermostat, heater and timer. When you get a cut of the parts sales there is more incentive.to put on parts.

Offline Patricio

• Technician
  • Tight Lines
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 10:28:36 AM »
As an independent I offer no kickback.  A used appliance dealer you might offer a 10 to 20% discount off the blue book price but they pay for every service call no matter what the repair charge may be in case they decide to replace.   They are the ones that want what they sell as used repaired, obviously can't do it by themselves, they pay the going rate.   Do not short change yourself.   I have some rental companies that balk at prices of repair.   That is OK either they pay for repair or replace.  I give them 10% off book.   They keep calling me & I collect minimum my diagnostic/service charge.    We are in business for ourselves not them just like they are in business for themselves.   Are they taking anything less?
Great Old Fashion Hometown Service

Offline stocpro47

• Technician
    • SRW APPLIANCE
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 12:15:24 PM »
10%  is what i had in mind,,,,,,i dont think its worth it otherwise.....like you said we are independents to be able to get retail price,,otherwise its just like your working for sears if you take out  gas and other operating cost,whats left

Wanted: Your appliance repair photos....

Started by AJ

Replies: 7
Views: 203
Last post November 08, 2013, 05:59:03 PM
by geebeegee
Appliance Repair Resources

Started by AJ

Replies: 49
Views: 2982
Last post April 22, 2015, 08:49:43 AM
by tlzfixer
Use your forum profile to promote your appliance repair business

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 61
Last post December 06, 2011, 09:28:06 PM
by AJ
Appliance repair industry in decline

Started by Bailey

Replies: 34
Views: 512
Last post July 15, 2013, 10:19:32 PM
by Wedgeman55
Things people call you for other then appliance repair?

Started by AJ

Replies: 32
Views: 479
Last post September 03, 2014, 03:08:13 AM
by Wedgeman55
The Future of Appliance Repair?

Started by Nwtech

Replies: 11
Views: 152
Last post September 07, 2012, 10:38:32 PM
by andersenappliance