Author Topic: Fridge leaking water  (Read 3288 times)

Offline desert

• VIP Member
Fridge leaking water
« on: April 10, 2013, 07:21:30 PM »
This is probably a minor problem but before I do anything I want some input. I have a Whirlpool Gold side by side with a lower pull out drawer freezer style compartment. The problem is that we have been seeing a small amount of water on the floor on the right side of the machine about every other day or so. In my guesstimation i'd say about 1/2 to 1 cup worth. The machine is less than two years old and this problem has been ignored for a week or so.

No maintenance has been done and to my knowledge the machine has not been moved since installation. As far as I am concerned the machine seems to work fine otherwise, I am just now worried this maybe a sign of a more serious problem.

I do not notice any water on the floor in the front, back, left or inside the machine. Only the right side has the issue.  model # GI5FVAXVQ02 

:thanks:

Offline Bailey

• Technician
Re: Fridge leaking water
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 09:54:08 AM »
I haven't had this problem on this particular model. However water generally comes from three sources. One would be related to the water system to the ice maker and chilled water. Or the defrost drain inside the freezer. Or the defrost drain pan. Best time to look is when the water is on the floor. Get a flashlight and look under it and see if you can isolate where the water hit the floor. Then pull the fridge out and see if you can follow the trail water leaves as it dries out.

Offline desert

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2013, 09:56:35 AM »
I will keep my eyes open...and keep you posted. Only problem is if i am at work when this happens not much i can do. As best i can tell, if this makes any difference. This is obviously coming from under the machine, as opposed to the back where the water line connects.  I cannot find any drain holes inside.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 10:04:47 AM by desert »

Offline desert

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2013, 12:21:50 PM »
As an update I hear the icemaker fill up with water. waiting, waiting no water on the floor. I check in back no lines leaking. Does that eliminate anything?

Offline desert

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2013, 05:19:05 PM »
Ok more info: We are pretty good about making sure the lower freezer door doesn't stay open and i see there is a build up of ice on the bottom of the freezer drawer compartment, why i don't know.  But i opened the freezer drawer and found water dripping out the front right corner of the freezer compartment over a sheet of ice below the food racks in the freezer. so apparantly its not draining properly because of this ice build up.

but what's causing this ice build up? I have more questions.

exactly what would be the ideal freezer temp set at?
what is this humidity control button on the front door and how how does this benefit the user? is this water dripping in my freezer compartment normal to begin with?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 05:27:01 PM by desert »

Offline Bailey

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2013, 05:46:32 PM »
Usually water inside the freezer comes from either the defrost drain(which would be plugged up) or is coming from the icemaker when it fills. If it comes from the icemaker you might see an icicle hanging down. I betting its coming from the defrost drain. Freezer temp should be around zero.

Offline desert

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 06:02:22 PM »
No ice pops hanging down. Everything around the icemaker looks good and it operates fine too. :thanks:

Offline Bailey

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 09:52:56 AM »
Do you see ice on the floor of the freezer?

Offline desert

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 09:24:39 PM »
Well, like i say it's a lower pull out style drawer freezer. Yes, on the bottom under the food racks there is ice

Offline domain

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2013, 09:46:35 PM »
Gummed up duck bill may have caused the drain to ice over?? :cheers: :cheers:

Offline Bailey

• Technician
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2013, 11:41:47 PM »
That's what I'm thinking too.

Offline desert

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2013, 11:29:47 AM »
gummed up duck bill. Great ! Now where is it and how do I clean :embarassed:

Offline bigbuck

• Technician
  • over 30 years repairing appliance
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2013, 03:11:28 PM »
flush drain with hot water, or hit drain with co cartridge, works everytime, don't think this model has a duck bill. 

Offline jimbo6679

• VIP Member
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2013, 03:36:47 PM »
I am not a tech....but have fixed a similar problem thanks to help from the forum.   The "duck bill" issue affects many models and brands, especially bottom freezer.    First problem is that the rubber duckbill funnel is not even shown or called out on the parts diagrams!

First, your symptoms would just be water leaking from lower edge or corner of drawer, and thick ice buildup on bottom of freezer liner.   OPERATION AND TEMPS of the refrigerator and freezer are normal.     
If your unit has this, it is attached to a tube which directs defrost 'melt' water from freezer to the "down under" area.    Because of localized heat, the rubber gums up and blocks the drain.     In my case ( Maytag) it is accessible by removing a small grill panel on the OUTSIDE rear of the unit, right down near the floor.   Easy access....did not have to take apart the INTERIOR evaporator covers.

Again in my case, Maytag had issued a tech sheet on it, which AJ was kind enough to send to me.   Probem solved!!!!

So, if your symptoms are as I described, follow up with some clarifying info for the techs on the forum and go from there.

Offline desert

• VIP Member
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2013, 08:42:35 AM »
I don't know how else to say it. A build up of ice on the bottom freezer liner and water ( because of ice build up ) is being routed out the front corner of the freezer drawer. I will have to investigate this further on my day off. but with those two exceptions everything else seems ok

Water Leaking Problem from Fridge

Started by schwine

Replies: 3
Views: 2385
Last post June 25, 2010, 12:13:37 PM
by Mr. Fix-It
GE Monograme SxS fridge leaking water in fridge section

Started by avi

Replies: 0
Views: 486
Last post August 23, 2013, 01:55:13 AM
by avi
Repair Guide: Whirlpool Refrigerator - Water in bottom of fridge under drawers.

Started by AJ

Views: 86027
Last post July 08, 2007, 12:04:06 PM
by curtis
Kenmore Refrigerator Leaking Water

Started by TechnicianBrian

Views: 3961
Last post April 24, 2008, 11:06:29 AM
by JWWebster
Whirlpool fridge water dispenser