Author Topic: Maytag DE608 motor start issue, intermittent  (Read 1196 times)

Offline Q

• VIP Member
Maytag DE608 motor start issue, intermittent
« on: April 10, 2013, 10:58:24 AM »
What started out as the dryer shutting down early before the clothes are dry has turned into a "hard start" situation. I removed the motor to trouble shoot and it works, doesn't seem to have excessively worn bearings, spins freely and has continuity in the windings. One or the winding connections looks pinched in the middle but it still has continuity. It will start tuning with no load on it (with the belt removed) and it will occasionally start with a load on it. I can also spin the drum by hand and hit the start and get it going but 9 times out of 10 it will just buzz or turn the shaft just a few degrees (and then buzz) when I push the start button. I checked all the connections, door switch, etc. Everything look and seems to work normally.

Any thoughts? I'll replace the motor if that is what's wrong but it is just acting strange. Not your typical failure. Any help would be appreciated.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
Re: Maytag DE608 motor start issue, intermittent
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 11:18:51 AM »
What about the rollers and glides? Is anything binding? If you turn the drum by hand is it hard to turn?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 11:19:26 AM by JWWebster »
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline Q

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 11:40:00 AM »
There is some effort required to turn the drum but the bearings look fine. I can spin it with one hand and nothing squeaks. How much effort should turning the drum require?

Offline theoldstoveguy

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 01:54:35 PM »
Motor and fix it ,great dryer.

Offline Q

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 02:32:48 PM »
I just removed the drum and checked the rollers. One was a little sticky so I cleaned and lubed both. That made a small but noticeable difference the the effort. The glides look fine. Once reattached to the motor it would start consistently for me about 10 or 12 times so I thought I had it solved. I reinstalled the fan housing to the front of the motor and the fan and tried it again. Now it's back to the same problem. You can actually feel the motor locked when it turns a little and then stops when trying to start it. If I spin the fan with my hand a little to unlock it then it would rotate a little more when trying to start. Once the motor is locked manually spinning the drum would not turn the motor.

This all began to happen after I replace the fan a few weeks ago due to a striped out "D" on the fan. I expected the dryer to work well once the fan was actually spinning but instead it began to stop mid-cycle without the clothes getting dry. Once I disassembled it to have a look it began the hard start issue.

So...new motor, eh?

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2013, 01:49:19 PM »
Do you have the correct blower for that model? They was 3 diff sizes and that one has to have the correct one 303836. It is smaller than the other 2 sizes. 59-0108 is too big
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline lesguns

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 08:04:31 PM »
change the motor

donate
$1, $2, $5, $10, $20, $50

Maytag Dryer Buzzes & won't start

Started by courtney668

Replies: 2
Views: 5733