Author Topic: Fan only runs for a minute  (Read 3722 times)

Offline athlon1

• Technician
Fan only runs for a minute
« on: April 09, 2013, 08:01:48 PM »
I have a Payne heat pump Model#PH10JA024-A, Ser#2897E22193, installed 1996 (I can't find any tech info on this unit on the net) Got home today and they wife told me the heat pump was humming. This is a 1 1/2 ton unit. When I reset and turned it on a few times, it started and the fan ran for about a minute each time and stopped, the contact stayed pulled (It only released when I turned the digital thermostat to off. I even pulled the emergency disconnect and tuned off the breakers and the relay still had power) in and it was really hot. As I was packing up before dark and walking away I heard a loud "air discharge". I thinking that the dual run capacitor went bad again, I replaced it about 6 years ago, and/or the contactor also. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

Offline domain

• Technician
Re: Fan only runs for a minute
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 08:20:30 PM »
If the cap is reading low, it could be pulling too many amps causing overload? Did you read the dual cap that is 6 years old? How clean is the coil also? :thanks:

Offline RegUS_PatOff

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 07:02:12 AM »
After leaving this Earth, "Do you want the smoking or non-smoking section?"

Offline athlon1

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 06:53:11 PM »
Thanks for replying fellas,

I changed the capacitor this evening and it's still doing the same thing. It will start and run for a minute or two and the fan will stop and it will jus hum. Strange thing is that there is an usual amount of heat coming up through the unit. It's only run for <2 minutes, howc an it get that hot? Maybe the reversing valve is stuck?

Offline RegUS_PatOff

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 08:13:05 PM »
... run for a minute or two and the fan will stop and it will jus hum.
you weren't clear in the original post.
With power removed, try turning the Fan Motor Shaft by hand.
Does it turn easily, smoothly ?
Can you give it a good spin, and will it continue for a few turns ?

Offline athlon1

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 08:33:08 PM »
Yeah, I pulled he disconnect and I can stick a stick in move the blade and the fan spins ok.

Offline domain

• Technician
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 09:43:44 PM »
What are your high/low side pressures? :P

Offline athlon1

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2013, 05:00:36 AM »
Sorry gents, fell asleep, long day. But, my trany went out last Sat of instead of getting it fixed they gave m a brandy new "2013", dang, it even got a back up camera in the rear view mirror!

Anyway, for the short time it runs 50 suct and 150 disch. I changed the dual cap with a 35/6  ( I don' even remember where I got this from ) there was a 35/5 in there. The contactor in pulled in the whole time. The fan runs strong for a minute and slowly just slows to a stop and the comp is still energized.

I have changed qutie a few cap, contacs, fan motors, etc,  but I don't consider myself a "tech" in this particular field. O2N2, Aux Equip those are my "tech" areas and even refrigerators I do a lot beter.

I'm starting to think i have a problem with the reversing vlv or defrost cycle. For this unit to run for less than 2 minutes and have the amout of heat I can feel coming up from the unit I say hot disch gas or a heating cycle in interfering with the cooling cycle. I believe just because I hear it shift dosen't mean it "fully" shifted, that's my concern.

I would have given a wrench set if I won to the tech that gave me the best/most help but I entered a contest that was over a month ago. lol

Offline RegUS_PatOff

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2013, 07:11:27 AM »
As far as the Fan Motor problem,
looking at the wiring diagram, it's either a bad Fan Motor or a bad Capacitor..
Since the Capacitor was just changed, the Fan Motor would seem to be bad.
Change them both (Capacitor must be matched to new Motor)
You could use a small, single Capacitor for just the Fan Motor.

Offline Brent@CanBC

• Technician
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2013, 07:20:30 AM »
If there is any end play up and down on the motor shaft, that will create your problem.  If the two end bells on the motor haven't been oil'd it will heat up the two end bells, and make the motor hum and shut down, on the overload.  Is the reading off the capacitor with in its rating? Brent@CanBC

Offline athlon1

• Technician
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2013, 06:49:55 PM »
Thanks for the input but no dice. The fan spun ok but I put a couple drops zoom down the shaft anyway,it did spin another revolution or two.
I didn't have any small capacitors but I checked the one in there, and it reads good. Im beginning to think that this cap is not enough the fan going

It will start strong and after two minutes the fan just slowes to a stop, the contactor is still pulled in and hums and you can hear the compressor kicking in.

It an R-22 unit, what do ya's think if I put a 35/10 if they make them.  I had the capacitor replaced by a friend of mine, it was late at night and I don't remember if we put an exact replacemet in.

Does anyone know what does go in here, mdl & ser #above. Or what's the max I can put in?

Thanks!

Offline RegUS_PatOff

• Technician
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2013, 08:21:23 AM »
I had the capacitor replaced by a friend of mine ...
... anyone know what does go in here, mdl & ser #above.
Capacitor shouild be matched to the Motor part number, not the assembly model number.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 08:22:52 AM by RegUS_PatOff »

Offline niobrara

• Technician
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2013, 07:44:35 PM »
Change them both (Capacitor must be matched to new Motor. Agree.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2013, 09:46:30 AM »
Feel the motor when it quits I bet you cannot touch it for long. The motor wiring is shorted internally most likely.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline athlon1

• Technician
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2013, 07:27:31 PM »
Thanks fellas, sorry I didn't get back sooner, been working up to 9pm sometimes.

Anyway, I read everything you guy's posted. like I said after I replaced the capacitor, it would only run for a minute or so. I was hoping it would run at least a few minutes so I could put it in heat and jump the terminals and see if it shifted to check the reservsing valve and the defrost control board, but it wouldn't.  I know the timer's on the defrost control board. But I wanted to check the motor as you guys suggested. Hardly any end play and it spun free. All the ground checks and ohmn readings checked out ok.
I ordered the defrost control board, put it in and after five minutes this time as I just got done putting the cover back on and was walking away, IT STOPPED!!! Let's say I was a little "dismayed"
Next day I checked all the connections again but this time I used my prersonal Fieldpiece SC46 for my checks, last time I used the regular one in my tool bag and as I said everything checked out good.
This time though, I had no grounds but when I did my ohms check, the ohms worked out to less than one ohmn difference, but when I went from the yellow to brown wires the ohms were correct for the measurements but the meter sounded off, I was like you gotta be kiding me ,(The SC46 has continuity and ohms on the same setting).
I ordered the motor last Sunday, got it Wednesday and was able to put it in today. Walked upstairs turned on the thermostat, walked outside and had an instant heart attack because I couldn't hear the unit running.  You could always here this unit, not superloud but it did vibrate. I went around the corner and to my suprise, it was running and it was quieter now than when it was installed!
I paid $45.00 for the Board and $131.00 the motor. All things considered I have no problem with replacing these I believe I needed both. That motor had me fooled though.

But thanks to all the input from you all, it's running good. It figures, it was OOC for the few hot days we had here and the next week it's going to be in the sixties. I don't care, I still ain't turning it off!!! ha,ha,ha

Thanks again!

Compressor Runs-Blower motor doesn't

Started by Blockhead

Replies: 7
Views: 6379
Last post July 31, 2009, 10:45:02 PM
by Blockhead
Gas furnace runs one cycle, then won't start up again!!

Started by alexchaumont

Replies: 3
Views: 9821
Last post March 25, 2010, 08:05:25 AM
by RegUS_PatOff
Trane XE80 Runs for 4 seconds and stops.

Started by R22helopilot

Replies: 4
Views: 3158
Last post December 11, 2011, 08:00:03 PM
by JWWebster