Author Topic: LG refrig mod#LFC20760ST/06 - ice maker flex tray not returning to fill position  (Read 1623 times)

Offline JADsvc1

• Technician
  • 25 yrs Frigidaire/W-W/Electrolux svc mgr
I'm working on the aforementioned unit, and found that the ice maker will fill, start the cycle and dump cubes but once it reaches the vertical 'flex' point in the cycle it stays there and repeatedly tries to continue turning to flex. It will not return to the horizontal 'fill' position until I remove power then reinstate power and push the test cycle button.  :tickedoff:  Since I'm not well versed in LG units, I have a couple of questions:

Any guidance on where to start on this sort of issue?  ???

Does anyone have a service manual on these?

Can I get parts for the ice maker or is it a complete ice maker replacement?

I looked up parts & found a completely different icemaker shown for this model.   ???  FYI, I am quite sure of the model & serial number taken from the unit. The unit in question has a flex tray icemaker, whereas the parts lists call out a hard-tray ejection-style icemaker with lights on the front panel of the ice maker. Not that this surprises me, because what experience I do have with LG and Samsung is that their manuals leave much to be desired in terms of accuracy and detail. Any help finding the CORRECT icemaker would be appreciated. One post I located listed P/N 5989JA1005D as the replacement ice maker. Can anyone confirm this?

Any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

JAD
Having is not always so desirable as wanting . . .

Offline domain

• Technician
Replace the IM assembly. No serviceable parts. Yes the flex tray does communicate with the main pcb, but I had never found trouble with the main pcb. There is a test/harvest button on the motor side of the unit(left) after you remove the bin. I will do my best on parts asap. Did the model number have a /01 or the like after it? Often times that is a deciding factor on lg parts.   O0 O0

Offline JADsvc1

• Technician
Thanks Domain. I figured you would be on this one!  Also figured the ice maker would only be available as an assembly. Not too many manufacturers offering parts for ice makers these days. I dunno why? I mean, c'mon, I can tear down & replace about any part in a Whirlpool crescent cube ice maker in 15 minutes or less! Where's the challenge in replacing the whole assembly? Aside from getting my old body in a position to get AT the ice maker in ANY bottom mount refrig! Argh!  :rofl:

The engineering code is 06. Complete data from the serial plate is:

MODEL: LFC20760ST / 06
SERIAL: 104MRLM27367

I read that LG had an updated and improved flex type ice maker assembly available under P/N 5989JA1005D and that a modified fill tube was available under P/N 5210JA2006B, both to address fill issues. However, I cannot confirm that these parts are for this model. If you could help with that, I would appreciate that.

So what's going on with that issue? I didn't even bother pulling it out since I figured I couldn't get parts and would require complete replacement anyway. Bad limit switch, or a gear issue was my guess.

Thanks again!

JAD

Offline domain

• Technician
AEQ72909603 should be the absolute updated part number. These were cloned and now produced in Mexico instead of Korea to cut down on shipping damage/downtime. No trick to replacement, 5 minutes with ALL of the freezer in tact. Two clips shown in RC pic will need depressed with a mini pic/screwdriver. O0 O0

http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Ice-Maker-Assembly/AEQ72909603/2216335

Offline JADsvc1

• Technician
Hey Domain:

Appreciate the info. I'll give you  O0  O0  O0 on that one! Have to run this past the customer and see if they want to go for it. They've lived w/o ice for a year and just decided to have it checked out . . .  :popcorn: ???

Sounds like you know a bit of the inside track on LG? Moving that process to Mexico was probably a good move for the North American market. Better supply options for sure!

Thanks again!  :cheers:

JAD

Offline domain

• Technician
ANYTIME. Looks like you have some frigidaire expertise I may stress of yours at some point or another!!! :thanks: :thanks:

Offline JADsvc1

• Technician
Ditto! Anytime I can help. That's why I do what I do.

:cheers:

Offline domain

• Technician

Video: Testing - Connect and disconnect a push-in ice maker water fill valve

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 17415
Last post July 30, 2007, 05:53:38 PM
by AJ
Video: Whirlpool In-Door Ice Maker Fill Cycle

Started by AJ

Replies: 3
Views: 9549