Author Topic: GE Microwave Loses Power  (Read 4678 times)

Offline sapp4l

• VIP Member
GE Microwave Loses Power
« on: May 18, 2008, 01:58:00 PM »
OK, a Sunday puzzler.

I have an older GE over the stove microwave, model JVM132K004. I believe this is made by Samsung, as the country of origin is Korea.

It works normally for a couple of mins, heating foods properly. Then, while in the middle of heating cycle, the light goes out and it sounds like the magnetron is  stopped, but the timer keeps counting down like it thinks it is still working normally. I may get 1.5 to 2 mins into a heating cycle before exhibiting this cut-out.

A quick peeksee in the control panel and at the wiring harnesses shows nothing obvious (like a contact getting hot, etc), though I haven't torn into everything. I'm expecting this is something like a corroded contact which heats up after a couple of mins and then cuts out the power. There may be a thermal fuse somewhere that is misbehaving.

Machine will restart in  a couple of mins, and do the same thing again.

Any clues on how to debug, or suggestions about what to look for? Thanks.

Model JVM132K004

Offline apptech

• Technician
Re: GE Microwave Loses Power
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 09:02:58 PM »
Hi,

Maybe one of the door switches acting up.

Next time it stops and the timer just keeps counting down wiggle the door up and down a little to see if it kicks in again.

If you can get it to kick back in by moving the door then I would start checking the door switches.

Offline Repair-man

• Technician
  • The Virtual Repairman
    • The Virtual Repairmans Appliance Help
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 07:37:36 AM »
Have a real close look at the triac on the main PCB or "Smart Board" We used to find loose solder joints on this  area which caused intermittent heating failure. As far as I know, this board has been NLA for some time.
"It's only expensive if someone else fixes it for you" -
The Virtual Repairman   www.repair2000.com

Offline sapp4l

• VIP Member
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 10:36:46 PM »
Update...

I removed each connector on the main board and reseated each. Nothing looked out of sorts. However, when reassembled, machine is now working normally. I have a feeling the power loss will reappear at some later date, but we'll have to wait and see.

Thanks for all the help.

On to other projects...In our modern life, there is always something that needs attention.

Offline g3_ultra

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 09:56:51 AM »
Hi, sorry to hijack your thread, but I have the same or similar oven (JVM130 001) made in 1988. It quit heating altogether.;Runs and timer counts down, but no heat. I haven't gone into it yet, but can you get to the control board without uninstalling the oven? Also, any other possible problems beside control board connections or solder joints? Thanks!

Offline Al Capone

• Administrator
  • VIP Member
    • ApplianceJunk.com
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 12:33:41 PM »
sorry to hijack your thread, but I have the same or similar oven

It would be best if you would start your own topic.

Thanks,
RepairClinic.com - Order now for same day shipping. 365 day return policy!

AppliancePartsPros.com - Over 1 Million Appliance Parts In-Stock. 365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy!

Offline sapp4l

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 10:39:00 PM »
It quit heating altogether.;Runs and timer counts down, but no heat. I haven't gone into it yet, but can you get to the control board without uninstalling the oven? Also, any other possible problems beside control board connections or solder joints?

You can access the control board from the front by removing the two screws on the side of the board, after opening the door. The control board should swing out. There are two plastic catches on the right side that should come loose when you remove the screws and rotate it.

On my oven, I had to replace the high voltage cap and diode a couple of years ago due to the same issue (no power). It's not a hard job, but pretty tight quarters on this oven. I could tell the diode was burnt by looking at it. Parts weren't too expensive, I'd think twice about putting much into a 20 yr old microwave.

Good luck.

Frigidaire Microwave No Power

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 0
Views: 2529
Last post April 15, 2008, 09:57:53 PM
by TechnicianBrian
Kitchenaid Microhood Microwave - No Power

Started by jacuze

Replies: 6
Views: 2881
Last post March 02, 2011, 06:31:12 AM