365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy!  ·  AppliancePartsPros.com
Washer PartsDryer PartsRefrigerator PartsDishwasher PartsRange & Oven PartsAll Appliance Parts

Author Topic: Whirlpool refrigerator purchase questions  (Read 208 times)

Offline roomservicetaco

• VIP Member
Whirlpool refrigerator purchase questions
« on: June 15, 2015, 03:15:51 PM »
Hi,

I've had a Whirlpool EL7ATRRKS01 refrigerator only model for 12 years (and the corresponding freezer only model as well).  The freezer has been great, but the refrigerator has broken every 3 years or so.  Each time, the sealed compressor unit has been replaced - the first time, the factory paid for it, the next time they paid parts, I paid labor, third time I paid the whole thing.  Now, it's broken again - it's not cooling - and I'm done putting money into it.  I'm ready to buy a new one.

The problem is that I'm somewhat limited in choices since 1 - it's a fridge only and 2 - the cabinetry was built around the size of the current fridge, which is somewhat of an oddball size (31" wide by 66" high; most other models I've found are 32-34" wide and over 70" high).  I did find 2 models that would work, but they are both Whirlpools:

Whirlpool Sidekick Model # WSR57R18DM

Whirlpool Model # WRF57R18DM

One technician told me that the current model had a flaw in that there is no fan that removes heat from the coils, so in some cases the compressor overworks. 

Before I buy a new one, wanted to see if anyone had opinions on the two models above.

-are there mechanical differences between the two?  if so what are they and are they worth paying $500 extra for?
-what is the reputation of these models or these types of models?  Is there something in the way they are designed/constructed that would indicate that I might have problems going forward?
-what else should I know about these models that I wouldn't find out until it's too late and they cost a lot to repair?

I suppose an alternate solution is to buy a refrigerator with a bottom freezer, leave the bottom freezer off, and just deal with the fact that it won't match the stand-alone freezer.

Any insights or help you can provide would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Offline johnboy3

• Technician
Re: Whirlpool refrigerator purchase questions
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 08:19:36 PM »
Looking at the system parts, these seem to be the same refrigerator.  The differences would be in the features, shelves, trim, etc.  I've always had good service from Whirlpool.  I'm curious if the refrigerator you have and have had problems with has an open coil condenser on the back?  If it does, that may be the reason for it cooking compressors... building it in blocks the needed space for airflow over the coils.

Offline roomservicetaco

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 09:15:23 PM »
Looking at the system parts, these seem to be the same refrigerator.  The differences would be in the features, shelves, trim, etc.  I've always had good service from Whirlpool.  I'm curious if the refrigerator you have and have had problems with has an open coil condenser on the back?  If it does, that may be the reason for it cooking compressors... building it in blocks the needed space for airflow over the coils.

Thanks for the response johnboy. 

I'm really not sure about the open coil condenser on the current model...how do I check?  Do the newer models have an open coil condenser?

Offline schleven

• Technician
    • www.katy-appliance-repair.com
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 09:24:32 PM »
Allow at least 3 in. (7.5 cm) of air space at the top and on both sides of the refrigerator and 1 in. (2.5 cm) between the back of the refrigerator and the wall.

did you have the proper spacing around the fridge?
"
"It's not what happens to you, it's what you do about it"

Offline roomservicetaco

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 09:36:47 PM »
Allow at least 3 in. (7.5 cm) of air space at the top and on both sides of the refrigerator and 1 in. (2.5 cm) between the back of the refrigerator and the wall.

did you have the proper spacing around the fridge?
"

There is definitely more than 1 inch from the back, though not sure exactly how much.

The top has about 2.5", perhaps a little more ( the lip of the cabinet extends down further than the bottom of the cabinet itself).

The sides have about 2-3 inches total gap, meaning 1-1.5" on either side, not 2-3 inches per side.

The weird thing is the gaps are the same for the matching freezer unit, but the freezer has not had any issues.

Offline schleven

• Technician
    • www.katy-appliance-repair.com
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 09:44:33 PM »
You may have just gotten a lemon the first time...
"It's not what happens to you, it's what you do about it"

Offline roomservicetaco

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2015, 09:49:38 PM »
You may have just gotten a lemon the first time...

Yeah, probably.  I'm just trying to figure out if I'm likely to get another lemon by getting another Whirlpool. 

Repair Guide: Whirlpool Refrigerator - Water in bottom of fridge under drawers.

Started by AJ

Replies: 3
Views: 93366
Last post July 08, 2007, 12:04:06 PM
by curtis
Video: How to clear a Whirlpool made Refrigerator Defrost Drain Tube.

Started by AJ

Replies: 2
Views: 20777
Last post August 11, 2007, 09:38:43 AM
by AJ
Please help, Whirlpool refrigerator not cooling good.

Started by paul

Replies: 6
Views: 8052
Last post August 22, 2007, 12:59:04 PM
by Pegi
Whirlpool refrigerator Nbr: GS6SHAXML00 Icemaker doesn't work.

Started by tech718

Replies: 6
Views: 10793
Last post October 02, 2007, 06:46:44 AM
by AJ
Whirlpool Refrigerator Not Cooling

Started by TechnicianBrian

Replies: 0
Views: 3914
Last post May 05, 2008, 10:33:31 PM
by TechnicianBrian
Whirlpool Refrigerator - Not running, replaced defrost timer.

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 10538
Last post May 09, 2008, 01:05:15 PM
by AJ