Author Topic: GE Topload won't Spin: Motor hums & Tub won't move either direction WDSR2080D2WW  (Read 3233 times)

Offline rockinrobin

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • Ransom Mobile Appliance Repair Service
Washer will fill, agitate and drain but it won't Spin and the Drive Motor is making a humming noise.
I cannot rotate the Tub manually either direction (tub will only rotate about 1/4 turn or 90 degrees).
Therefore, could it be the Transmission & Brake Assembly (P/N WH38X10002) or 1-Speed Motor w/Clutch (P/N WH49X10040)? :-\

Offline haroldsappliance

• Technician
    • Appliance repair
If you remove drive belt, you should be able to freely turn transmission pulley in both directions. If not, then I'd say you have a faulty transmission.
http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Transmission/WH38X10002/279566

Offline haroldsappliance

• Technician
    • Appliance repair
With the belt off, you can test to see if your is turning correctly. One way for wash and the opposite for spin. Let's us know how u make out.

Offline JWWebster

• Technician
  • SublimeMasterJW
    • JW's Sublime Appliance Advice
I got one in the back yard right now with the same problem. The rods are stretched and when fully loaded the drive pulley is on the base of the washer. makes a hell of a noise in wash and won't spin at all with a load in it.
May the hinges of our friendship
        never grow rusty.

About the icons: The beer is tip link, if a tech saves ya some money buy em a 6 pack. The small green square=personal message. The green dot is a link to my web page on appliance repair and other general BS I love to post. The letter sends me email.
I love fan letters! LOL

Offline rockinrobin

• Technician
With the belt off, you can test to see if your is turning correctly. One way for wash and the opposite for spin. Let's us know how u make out.
I ran the Washer on Spin with the Belt removed and the Motor still makes a humming noise.
The Transmission Pulley turns freely both direction's with belt removed.
Therefore, would the problem be the Motor w/Clutch or Timer.

Offline rockinrobin

• Technician
I got one in the back yard right now with the same problem. The rods are stretched and when fully loaded the drive pulley is on the base of the washer. makes a hell of a noise in wash and won't spin at all with a load in it.
Have you replaced the Tub Support Rods?
I worked on a similar one a while back that was rubbing against the base because it was Agitating & Spinning at the same time with a tub full of water. The Motor that has a circuit board on top had to be replaced.

Offline rockinrobin

• Technician
Have you replaced the Tub Support Rods?
I worked on a similar one a while back that was rubbing against the base because it was Agitating & Spinning at the same time with a tub full of water. The Motor that has a circuit board on top had to be replaced.
JW,

Please disregard Agitating & Spinning at the same time.
During the Wash mode it was Agitating but the Tub was moving freely (back & forth) due to the Brake not engaging (on the Inverter Motor) and the lower part of the tub was rubbing against the base.

Offline haroldsappliance

• Technician
    • Appliance repair
I ran the Washer on Spin with the Belt removed and the Motor still makes a humming noise.

Sounds like motor unless unit has faulty start capacitor. Does motor turn freely with no power on it?

Online fairbank56

• Technician

You say it agitates ok. If it agitates normally every time you put it in agitate but the motor only hums when in spin, it's not likely the motor, it's more likely the timer. The timer reverses the polarity of power applied to the start winding to change rotation direction of the motor.

Eric

Online fairbank56

• Technician
During the Wash mode it was Agitating but the Tub was moving freely (back & forth) due to the Brake not engaging (on the Inverter Motor) and the lower part of the tub was rubbing against the base.

On those washers, it is normal for the tub to move back and forth somewhat during agitate as there is no mechanical brake. The motor electrical braking activated by the inverter only occurs after spin to quickly bring the tub to a halt. If the tub moves back and forth significantly and forcefully (like it's agitating) during agitate, then the mode shifter is not working.

Eric

Offline haroldsappliance

• Technician
    • Appliance repair
Based on md# this washer has no mode shifter or inverter type motor. I would also suspect timer.

Online fairbank56

• Technician

Two different style of washer's have been mentioned in this thread. The OP's is the T style (no inverter/mode shifter). Then rockinrobin mentioned that he worked on a similar one (not really) that had a motor with circuit board on top (inverter with mode shifter). I was responding to and quoted part of his post refering to the "inverter motor".

Pay attention  :)  Thread deviation ahead   :)

Eric

Offline dab147315

• Technician
You got that right fairbank.Deviation head.

Offline rockinrobin

• Technician

Sounds like motor unless unit has faulty start capacitor. Does motor turn freely with no power on it?
The problem was the Motor w/Clutch but not worth repairing due to the age (9 Years Old).
Thank You for your time!

Offline rockinrobin

• Technician

On those washers, it is normal for the tub to move back and forth somewhat during agitate as there is no mechanical brake. The motor electrical braking activated by the inverter only occurs after spin to quickly bring the tub to a halt. If the tub moves back and forth significantly and forcefully (like it's agitating) during agitate, then the mode shifter is not working.

Eric
My mistage, your correct it was the Mode Shifter (not the Inverter Motor) that was causing the Tub to move back and forth forcefully (like it's agitating) during Agitate/Wash mode and causing the Motor Support Frame to rub/scrape against the Bottom Panel.

Neptune TL pulley on bottom of tub will not turn in spin direction, motor OK

Started by jimtea

Replies: 4
Views: 1496
Last post July 30, 2009, 04:59:06 AM
by Repair-man
Maytag Centennial TL Washer won't Drain/Spin Motor Hums

Started by rockinrobin

Views: 6042
Last post March 24, 2012, 10:00:20 AM
by RegUS_PatOff
Whirlpool Topload LSQ9610JQ0 won't Spin (Motor makes a humming/buzzing noise)

Started by rockinrobin

Views: 1298
Last post June 13, 2013, 10:56:12 AM
by JWWebster
maytag noisy when agitating noise chenges with direction spin quiet

Started by funbiz99

Replies: 9
Views: 3793
Last post March 03, 2008, 08:07:48 PM
by JWWebster
Doesn't agitate or spin - Motor rotates too quickly and creates buring smell