Author Topic: Amana ADB1400 Stops and Drains before completing normal wash  (Read 3150 times)

Offline bg02578

• VIP Member
After about 15-30 minutes my Amana dishwasher will stop mid-cycle, drain, and then shut off (including all of the indicator lights on the panel).

When this happens, the red drain LED turns on as if the Drain/Cancel switch had been pushed.

It appears to be doing this regularly, but I was able to get it to run a full cycle once  by cutting the power to the dishwasher for a minuter or two.

The switches are membrane switches.   Do they go bad?  The Drain/Cancel switch seems to function correctly (push it the red LED turns on and a drain cycle starts).

Where can I get a service manual?

Can the dishwasher control program decide to activate  "Drain/Cancel" for some reason?

I see this identical problem posted elsewhere, but no solutions are offered.

Thanks

Offline Bailey

• Technician
Re: Amana ADB1400 Stops and Drains before completing normal wash
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 12:42:29 PM »
We all run into problems we haven't seen before. This is an unusual one. Sounds like a problem with the board. the only other thing that comes to mind would be a stuck key on the membrane switch. Some wiring diagrams will include a way to check continuity of the membrane matrix.Often you just have to narrow down the suspects and make a educated guess.

Offline bg02578

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 01:58:05 PM »
Bailey,

Thanks for the suggestions. I was thinking the same thing.  I will repeat an experiment I tried - which is to lock out the buttons (an option on this model).   This seems to have worked once last night for a 1 hour, no hi temp, no heated dry mode with the lock feature turned on.

The dishwasher (over 2 years old and outside any warranty) belongs to a friend.  I have a couple of Kitchenaid dishwashers installed in 1984 which have never given me any trouble.

Is the control program in the dishwasher smart enough to detect a problem, drain the dishwasher and cancel the wash cycle.
If not then, as you said it has to be a control board/membrane switch problem.

Too bad I can't just plug in an OBDII reader in to the dishwasher and find out what is wrong like in a car.

The control module  is  a W10319897 - I think.
 How long does it take a pro to replace the control board? 
Would I learn anything by running a manual test/ field service test on the dishwasher?

I have been fixing appliances all my life 65+, so I will give it a try.

Barry

Offline Bailey

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 07:12:57 PM »
Some boards n give you a failure code but can't recall one being smart enough to cancel and drain on its own.It shouldn't take more than 15 minutes to replace the board.

Offline domain

• Technician
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 08:30:55 PM »
LG top loads drain (dr) when left paused or errored out for *8 minutes for safety O0

Offline bg02578

• VIP Member
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 11:40:07 AM »
Locking out the buttons doesn't work.

The problem is just intermittent.  Failed again and then ran OK and turned on the clean LED.

I will try a few more things and then replace the control board.

I see that I can buy a re-manufactured control board for $45.00 and the seller claims to additionally fix other known defects.

It would be useful to get a replacement that would last more than two years.   Do the manufacturers rev the boards to make them more reliable or do they just not care and go for the cheapest possible products.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Offline bg02578

• VIP Member
Re: Amana ADB1400 Stops and Drains "Problem Solved" ?
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 09:20:19 AM »
So after a couple of cleaning cycles (using Lemi Shine) the ADB 1400 runs normal wash cycles to completion.

So I'm guessing that:
1) Some sensor was causing the premature cancel/drain cycle;

2) The controller was programmed to generate a service call after the warranty period had expired (when I called Amana they said to replace the controller board for $150); or

3) The controller board is very flaky.
I remember this dishwasher had some strange initial startup problem which was resolved by removing power from the dishwasher.

Hopefully the problem will not return (as described above by another ADB 1400 owner "The problem resolved on its own and has never returned. No repair needed.")

Offline domain

• Technician
Re: Amana ADB1400 Stops and Drains "Problem Solved" ?
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2013, 09:26:31 AM »
So after a couple of cleaning cycles (using Lemi Shine) the ADB 1400 runs normal wash cycles to completion.

So I'm guessing that:
1) Some sensor was causing the premature cancel/drain cycle;

2) The controller was programmed to generate a service call after the warranty period had expired (when I called Amana they said to replace the controller board for $150); or

3) The controller board is very flaky.
I remember this dishwasher had some strange initial startup problem which was resolved by removing power from the dishwasher.

Hopefully the problem will not return (as described above by another ADB 1400 owner "The problem resolved on its own and has never returned. No repair needed.")

I can not see number 1 being possible. I am not sure if number 2 is a Joke ???? Number 3 is your most likely problem.... O0 O0

Offline rheinz

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 10:23:48 PM »
I have the same issue.  Only the heavy cycle works completely, and occasionally the heated dry never completes.  I could just continue to only use the heavy cycle, but it is probably using more water than a normal cycle which is just wasteful.

I figured it had to be the control panel, so I got an affordable part on ebay from somebody who claims it was from a new machine that had to be replaced because the tub was damaged during delivery.  The installation was easy, but it didn't solve the problem.  I could return the part, so I don't think the seller would be trying to scam me.  If you order the part from Whirlpool, they will not accept returns by the way

I'm thinking the control panel would be the most expensive part, so I wouldn't feel too bad calling for service knowing that it won't cost me more than $200 to fix.

Please post the solution when you figure it out.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 10:32:03 PM by rheinz »

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 10:36:54 PM »
If you order the part from Whirlpool, they will not accept returns by the way

For what it's worth both our parts affiliates http://repairclinic.com and http://appliancepartspros.com let you return any part for any reason for up to 365 days. If you installed the part and it did not fix the problem, simply return it. Easy as that...
Hope you find our site helpful.

Offline PARTech

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • Panhandle Appliance LLC
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2013, 12:55:20 AM »
Is the 'Clean' light steady, or flashing? If it is flashing does it have a pattern?  Like 3 flashes and a long pause then 2 flashes long pause, repeat?
Serving North Idaho

Offline rheinz

• VIP Member
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2013, 01:51:24 PM »
My heavy cycle started to not work, so I called a technician in. The problem was the control panel as I suspected, but there are old control panels and new ones. My problem was that I tried replacing the old defective model with another one when I really needed to get the updated model. Whirlpool must have realized the control panels have a bug that causes this problem in time, and updated their parts for repairs.

Offline Spannerwrench

• Technician
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2013, 12:00:14 PM »
There is a service pointer out for this to replace the main control.
Customer Concern:
After 10 minutes of operation the dishwasher goes into cancel drain and stops. This issue can be very
sporadic. Technicians will find a 6-1 error code recorded in the service diagnostics
Possible Causes:
This issue may be caused by:
Siphoning through the drain hose•
Severe Sudsing•
Debris in the sump•
Control Board software error may cause a false error code resulting in cycle cancellation. (This issue is more•
likely to happen in areas that are susceptible to abnormal power supply variations)
Correction:
If the customer has a cancel drain issue, check the following:
1. Make sure the dishwasher is installed according to installation instructions provided with the unit.
2. Check for water siphoning out through the drain hose. Insure that the drain hose termination point is
above the water level in the tub. (The drain loop must be attached to the side of the tub and high enough
to prevent siphoning.)
3. Check for severe sudsing or a malfunctioning Rinse Aid dispenser.
4. Check for locked rotor in wash pump.
5. Remove any debris in the bottom of the sump/chopper area.
6. Check for water supply and proper water level in the dishwasher.
7. If all the above checks are OK, then the control will need to be replaced with one that has upgraded
software designed to handle abnormal power variations.

Kenmore dishwasher-Normal Wash light flashing

Started by BoomerD

Replies: 4
Views: 7541
Last post August 22, 2009, 04:35:32 PM
by BoomerD
Dishwasher fills and drains but doesn't wash

Started by billy_pilgrim

Replies: 4
Views: 5631
Last post May 18, 2011, 04:11:33 PM
by schaffersapplian