Author Topic: Gladiator Freezerator compressor seems to run, fans work but no cooling  (Read 783 times)

Offline dyiwarrior

• VIP Member
I have a Galdiator GAFZ21XXRK00 I cannot get the any portion of the freezerator to cool. Both the evaparator fan and condensor fans run and the compressor humms, vibrates slightly and gets warm. I have checked the start and run coils on the compressor with a DVM and they test within spec. I have replaced the start, run, overload module and its capacitor on the compressor . I replaced the defrost Bi metal and the defrost heater test fine. Both the condensor and evaporator fans are running and the compressor appears to be running. All coils and other components are clean with no obvoius indications of leaks. I have not tested the thermostats and the adaptive defrost control because the Fan motors are running and compressor gives every indication it is running. What could be wrong? I find it hard to believe that the closed system has a obstruction or that freon has leaked out.  What Is the the next logical place to check based on what I have done?  I would appreciate any and all help. Thanks

Offline AJ

• Technician
    Administrator
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
    • ApplianceJunk.com - Appliance Repair Help
I find it hard to believe that the closed system has a obstruction or that freon has leaked out.

Why?

If the compressor is running and the fans are running then I tend to believe you have some kind of sealed system problem, obstruction or leak.

How old is it?

What Is the the next logical place to check based on what I have done?

I would get out my gauges and check the high and low side pressures well it's running.

Do you get any kind of frost pattern on the evaporator coil?

Offline dyiwarrior

• VIP Member
Thanks for the reply AJ. while you where replying I ran this additional test.
I read something else that led me to test the amps going through on of the two wires feeding the the compressor. What I read was it should read about 2 amps. The reading I got was .84 amps does this mean the compressor is bad. The coils tested within spec. or does it mean it has a freon leak?  If my problem is this major what is the most cost effective way to fix my problem.  I hate to throw away the freezerator while it is 7 years old it very clean and seems a shame to junk it when replacing it is over a grand. I do not have a set of gauges. there is not frost pattern on the evaporator coils.

Offline dyiwarrior

• VIP Member
If I went out and got a set of gauges I do not see any fittings to hook the gauges up to like you have for a car or home AC unit. Do you use the same kind of gauges as you would use for home and auto? I can borrow a set but need to know where I would hook up he high and low side too as the system seems sealed.

Offline dab147315

• Technician
Compressor running and no frost pattern on evaporator is bad news. Sounds like Seal system problem like A.J says.Even if it was one year and 2 months old and you had no warranty it would be not worth fixing.

Offline dyiwarrior

• VIP Member
THANKS DAB....  Words I did not want to hear but was afraid ultimately would be the diagnosis.... Sucks to me today.

Offline tgoods

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal

Are you sure it's 7 years old?  The sealed system is covered under a 5 year warranty.  It might be worth calling Whirlpool to see if they'll comp all or part of the repair.  I kind of like those Gladiators, it might be fun to tinker with.  Try to borrow the tools, it would be expensive to buy them to fix one fridge.

Offline domain

• Technician
Sealed system. Grab a bullet tap valve and watch it run into a vacuum. If it is calling for 2 amps and you are reading .84 amps, its not pumping gas. Compressor bad is unlikely, even whirlpool will tell ya that.

GE 6 years old fridge not cooling, compressor on 24/7?

Started by mdm6713

Replies: 16
Views: 4269
Last post January 14, 2009, 11:05:55 AM
by JWWebster
8178384 Whirlpool Freezerator - Gladiator Series Service Manual

Started by AJ

Replies: 0
Views: 2583
Last post August 20, 2009, 01:13:43 PM
by AJ
LG refrigerator cooling not work

Started by Ryan1234

Replies: 3
Views: 382
Last post July 11, 2013, 09:38:16 PM
by AJ
Please help, Whirlpool refrigerator not cooling good.

Started by paul

Replies: 6
Views: 4302
Last post August 22, 2007, 12:59:04 PM
by Pegi
Whirlpool refrigerator Nbr: GS6SHAXML00 Icemaker doesn't work.

Started by tech718

Replies: 6
Views: 6680
Last post October 02, 2007, 06:46:44 AM
by AJ
1975 GE Refrigerator not cooling

Started by deanpark

Replies: 4
Views: 5777
Last post September 24, 2007, 02:50:21 PM
by deanpark