Author Topic: Whirlpool washer spin problem  (Read 1255 times)

Offline kshrews535

• VIP Member
Whirlpool washer spin problem
« on: April 01, 2013, 08:33:16 PM »
I have been having a problem with my whirlpool washer (almost 5 years old, never had  aproblem until now).  The tub would not start spinning when it should have.  I would open the lid when i could tell that it was not spinning to see if i was right (i was), then close it, when i would reopen the lid, the tub would be spinning.  After opening and closing, there would be no problem for that load of laundry, but the problem comes back for every load of laundry.  All i could find in terms of trouble shooting was that it was a bad clutch, so i replaced the clutch.  I am still having the same problem.  I tested the switch with an ohm meter and it is ok, i even cleaned the contacts, still does not fix the problem.  I looked at the motor couplers and the drive block as well, everything looks ok.  The last thing i can think of is the transmission.  When the tub is not spinning, it sounds like everything is moving, when i open the lid i can hear something catch and then it works fine.  I double checked the clutch to make sure i had installed everything ok and i noticed that the long shaft coming out of the transmission wobbles a bit, is this suppose to wobble a little? or should the shaft not move at all, just rotate?  When i double checked the clutch, i noticed alot of shaving on the floor that had not been there before, it looks like they have come from the brake pads, why are the brake pads suddenly being torn apart?

Offline bigbuck

• Technician
  • over 30 years repairing appliance
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: Whirlpool washer spin problem
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 08:40:04 PM »
Can you share your model number?

Offline fairbank56

• Technician
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 08:47:35 PM »

The washer has a neutral drain gearcase. This means that it drains first without spinning. After draining, the motor should pause for a few seconds which releases the neutral drain mechanism and allows spin when the motor starts again. If the motor isn't pausing after draining, it won't go into spin. By opening/closing the lid, you are pausing the motor. Check to see if the motor is pausing after draining. If it is not, the timer is faulty.

Eric

Offline jumptrout51

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 05:35:16 AM »
fairbank56 is correct. Bad timer. Another verification test would be leave the lid closed when it does this. Turn the timer off by pushing it in. Then pull the knob out again. If it starts spinning,replace the timer.
Take a Kid fishing.

Offline kshrews535

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 08:07:30 PM »
ok, i did what you had said.  i kept the lid closed and listened.  the washer will fill, then agitate, shut down, then try to spin (the machine sounds like it wants to spin, but isnt).  i pushed the knob in and let everything stop, then pulled the knob back out and it started spinning and sounding correctly.  I then turned the knob back to agitate and turned it on to run for a few seconds, then turned it off and turned it on at the spin cycle, when turned on at the spin cycle it would not spin (but sound like it wanted to, same as before) i then turned it off and back on at the same knob position without moving the knob.  If this explanation is still accurate with the timer being defective please let me know.  The timer is $122.30 on repairclinic.com, i would like to very sure that this is the problem before i spend the money.  Thank you all for your help.

Offline Bailey

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 09:48:48 PM »
Now that you know it will spin, start it in the rinse cycle, let it fill up and agitate and watch it through the rest of the cycle. After agitation it will pump the water out. Do not raise the lid during this process! After the water is gone and then a little more time, see if the timer will pause the machine on its own and when it starts the machine will spin. If there is no pause, replace the timer.

Offline kshrews535

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2013, 07:51:31 PM »
ok, i started the washer at the rinse cycle on the dial.  water came in, then agitation started.  Then the machine stopped complete.  the drain cycle started, as the drain was still going on the machine started spinning the tub. the machine then completely stopped. now we are at the spin cycle on the dial, a small amount of water would be let in and it would normally not spin but today it seems like it wants to spin.  Does this sound like the correct operation?

Offline Bailey

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 08:12:12 PM »
Its not supposed to spin during that drain portion. Thats why its called a neutral drain transmission. However I see it quite often. There are some parts in the transmission that need to be replaced. Having said that, I wouldn't rush to repair it. I think there are lots of these machines that have this problem but the users don't realize it because they start the machine and walk away. It does put more strain on the clutch because of the slippage that is happening until the water is pumped out. Sounds to me like it is working otherwise.

Offline kshrews535

• VIP Member
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2013, 08:39:07 PM »
ok, thank you for your help

Whirlpool Washer Occasional Spin Problem

Started by restless

Replies: 3
Views: 1764
Last post February 03, 2009, 05:25:09 PM
by JWWebster
Whirlpool direct drive Washer intermittant spin problem