Author Topic: Maytag Neptune Spin Problems after Bearing Replacement  (Read 3427 times)

Offline johnny_a

• VIP Member
Maytag Neptune Spin Problems after Bearing Replacement
« on: April 01, 2013, 09:08:43 AM »
Hello,

I just replaced the bearings and seal on my 12 year old Neptune model number MAH5500BWW.  Everything seemed to go back together smoothly.  However, after reassembly, the washer is having problems during the final spin cycle.  It is laboring during the spin, and I am not sure that it is ever getting up to full speed, especially with heavier loads.  It will also:

-Go from rinse at 12 minutes right down to 1 minute after a labored spin
-If it goes to spin cycle, will jump from 8 minutes to 9 minutes multiple times.
-emit a burning rubber smell.

When I put the drum back into the tub after replacing the bearings, I noticed that I had to make sure to not overtighten the bolt that holds on the drum pulley, or else it would keep the drum from turning freely.  When I disassembled, the bolt seemed to be dogged much tighter.  I also checked to make sure that the belt was not rubbing against the tub, as suggested in another thread on this forum.

Willing to give it one more try before I just replace the machine.  Any suggestions are appreciated.

Offline tgoods

• Technician
    • Buy me a beer through paypal
Re: Maytag Neptune Spin Problems after Bearing Replacement
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 10:15:22 AM »
Neptune bearings can be a real pain.  You can't drive the inner bearing all the way down. It has to be driven in until it just touches the spacer.  Of course, the spacer has to be centered, too. If it's too tight or too loose, it will bind up. The tub seal installed backwards, will also cause it to bind up.

Offline johnny_a

• VIP Member
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 10:32:32 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply.

I had a feeling that I may have to take it apart again.  The old seal was so badly deteriorated that there was no way of telling which way the new one went in.  I followed, or thought I followed the diagram showing which way the new seal should be installed.  Maybe I got it wrong. 

I got both bearings to touch the spacer properly, with the spacer centered, and I was able to rotate it easily once the bearings were seated.  I guess I'll give it another try.  I should be able to take the drum out without removing the tank to do this, correct?

Offline tgoods

• Technician
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 10:40:25 AM »
Yes, leave the tub in place.  The lips of the seal face forward.  I put one in backwards once and had the same symptoms, it would bind up when I tightened the pulley.

Offline johnny_a

• VIP Member
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 11:52:03 AM »
OK, then I think I have it in backwards.  There is a metal washer that fits into the seal.  Should that washer be inside the seal - facing the sleeve, between the bearings, or should it be facing out toward the drum?

Offline tgoods

• Technician
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 07:32:17 PM »
The seal kit comes with two types of seals.  I've only seen the type with no o-ring.  The thrust plate replaces the existing thrust plate. It can really only go on one way.  That is your sealing surface for the seal.  When assembled, the lips of the seal should be pressing against the thrust plate. 

Offline johnny_a

• VIP Member
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 09:32:22 AM »
My kit came with both seals.  I have the older version that uses no O-ring.  The old metal washer was so rusted out that there was almost nothing left of it.  I think I recall that the seal did in fact only go in one way, but the washer did seem to go in strangely.  I'm sure that I followed the diagram correctly, but maybe that was wrong.  When I tested for free-wheeling before i put the tub/drum assembly into the machine, it moved with great ease. 

It was only when I bolted the pulley on did it bind up.  Then I loosened the bolt so it would move easily again.  I took the drum out to re-check the assembly, and the metal washer remained on the shaft.  This made sense to me, as the sleeve of the washer fit into the seal/bearing opening. 

tgoods, not sure what the thrust plate is - would that be the washer?

thanks again for all the responses.  Would love to get just another year or two out of this machine.

Offline Blaiser

• Technician
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2013, 03:03:09 PM »
Depending on the model of your washer, I believe you need to remove/leave out the WHITE/PLASTIC spacer. Do yo see white smoke coming out of the Bleach Dispenser after an attempted HIGH SPEED SPIN? If so just pull tub out and remove the spacer. You'll be good after that!

Offline tgoods

• Technician
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 08:17:35 PM »
I'm probably not using the correct term.  It's the metal ring that fits on the support shaft. It provides a smooth surface for the seal to ride on. I thought they were stainless steel, I've never seen one rust out. So you took the inner basket out?  What direction are the seal lips facing? If it's pointed toward the rear of the tub, pop the seal out and re-install it. I believe the spacer needs to stay in place, I've always installed it with the older style seal.  The instructions should clarify this.

Maytag Neptune MAH4000AWW Bearing Replacement (loud noise during spin)

Started by TonyWilliams

Replies: 6
Views: 11810
Last post December 11, 2011, 09:51:57 PM
by AJ
Maytag Neptune Bearing Replacement Project.

Started by schaffersapplian

Replies: 10
Views: 8800
Last post January 10, 2012, 10:20:09 AM
by JWWebster
Maytag Neptune MAH4000AWW - No Spin.

Started by larry

Replies: 39
Views: 61252
Last post February 21, 2011, 01:22:14 PM
by bwhelan
Maytag Frontloader bearing replacement